• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

kkong

It does not have the capacity to fuel buses. It was only designed to supply cars and vans.

The publicity at launch indicated otherwise?

The ACHES refuelling station was built by Hydrogenics and opened in 2017. It is owned by Aberdeen City Council. The station can produce 130kg of hydrogen per day. ACHES has the capacity to store an additional 150kg of hydrogen on site. The station can dispense hydrogen at both 700 and 350 bar, and can therefore refuel buses, trucks, vans and cars.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Former First Aberdeen Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipse Urban 69130 now under private ownership with a First Aberdeen driver was collected for preservation yesterday. Happy to report that it made it to its destination, the plan long term is to restore it back to original condition.

Here's some photos from the journey south.

Volvodart

Established Member
Even if so a bus wouldn't fit in to the site itself. It's too narrow/tight and the canopy over the refuelling pump is too low.
BOC who own or run the Kittybrewster facility would not have been happy with their investment not being used, so that is probably why the Cove facility produces such a small amount of hydrogen.

Volvodart

Established Member
It will be stopping fairly soon anyway when the green hydrogen facility opens in Altens.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Can’t the Streetdecks be used elsewhere that does have an available hydrogen facility in exchange for some diesel buses until the facility opens in 2025? That’s literally 2 years away.

Fin447

Can’t the Streetdecks be used elsewhere that does have an available hydrogen facility in exchange for some diesel buses until the facility opens in 2025? That’s literally 2 years away.
First doesn't have any other depots with Hydrogen facilities

LT02 NVV

Aberdeen are short on buses again due to poor availability of the E400s and the Hydrogen pump at Kittybrewster failing again

33104, 33109 and 67820 have arrived on loan from Glasgow while 20613 and 20806/7 are being used on the 1A.
Really? If it isn’t a tracking error and they did go to First Glasgow, then that actually does take me back to the days when the Plaxton Paragons were on the 1 routes back around 2012-2016.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Really? If it isn’t a tracking error and they did go to First Glasgow, then that actually does take me back to the days when the Plaxton Paragons were on the 1 routes back around 2012-2016.
They were being used on the 1A in Aberdeen, not Glasgow...

handandy67

It looks as if 33104 and 33109 also 37741 and 37268 are back in First Glasgow, with 33906 coming to Aberdeen and in Aberdeen colours.

Last edited:

LT02 NVV

Why does this bus have a tracking ticket machine on BusTimes.org if it’s a King’s Coaches bus? (Also, I checked it, and it’s actually a spare ticket machine that’s being used on a First Glasgow Gemini bus right now).

Attachments

• AE154CAD-8475-4CAF-8CE3-ECA22AF0272F.jpeg
    AE154CAD-8475-4CAF-8CE3-ECA22AF0272F.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 42

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Why does this bus have a tracking ticket machine on BusTimes.org if it’s a King’s Coaches bus? (Also, I checked it, and it’s actually a spare ticket machine that’s being used on a First Glasgow Gemini bus right now).
Probably because First Glasgow have the number 20613 on their internal fleet list, and therefore it has been allocated on a ticket machine in error. This is an issue on First's end rather than Bustimes. The ticket machine code is 20613 therefore those vehicle details are accurate for that code.

fife_circle

Does anyone know how the night 20 is holding up passenger wise? I’ve used it a couple of times and there’s always been a considerable amount of people on board. However, there are still some problems with the app with it not showing the Saturday night services; it will now be thinking it’s Sunday and it also shows services as running on Tuesday evenings into Wednesday. There was a very large crowd at Adelphi on Halloween evening waiting for a bus that was never going to come (Halloween was another poor effort from First as usual with all buses running down King Street displaying "bus full". The electronic displays in bus stops are also turned off overnight; granted, that would be a council issue? But surely there’s a case to have them on at least on the weekends with Bluebird also now running night services. At least the light up night bus signs have a use again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Just passed 63208 on the 1 towards Garthdee at Urquhart Road around 20:00 with a full standing load, this is a pretty regular occurrence most nights even outwith weekends. Why they continue to use single deckers on the 1/2 in the evening when its pretty evident they're not suitable for the levels of demand continues to baffle...

Just passed 63208 on the 1 towards Garthdee at Urquhart Road around 20:00 with a full standing load, this is a pretty regular occurrence most nights even outwith weekends. Why they continue to use single deckers on the 1/2 in the evening when its pretty evident they're not suitable for the levels of demand continues to baffle...
Having had the privilege of meeting the local management at Aberdeen and directly bringing up several problems along the operation with them..

Nothing has changed, they dont want to know or care, frankly…

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Having had the privilege of meeting the local management at Aberdeen and directly bringing up several problems along the operation with them..

Nothing has changed, they dont want to know or care, frankly…
They clearly do to some extent acknowledge there are some capacity issues though as the 20 is almost exclusively Enviro400 operated now including the late night runs whereas for the past decade or so prior to September it was with the odd exception very much a single deck operated route.

However the situation with the 1/2 in the evening and on Sundays using single deckers is ridiculous, it always has been but it has gotten worse in recent times as passenger numbers in Aberdeen now are above pre-pandemic levels.

The hourly frequencies introducing on Sunday evenings during the pandemic are also proving to be insufficient particularly on the 23 and 172. The Sunday timetable for the 17A more generally is just dire.

They clearly do to some extent acknowledge there are some capacity issues though as the 20 is almost exclusively Enviro400 operated now including the late night runs whereas for the past decade or so prior to September it was with the odd exception very much a single deck operated route.
Not good enough.

However the situation with the 1/2 in the evening and on Sundays using single deckers is ridiculous, it always has been but it has gotten worse in recent times as passenger numbers in Aberdeen now are above pre-pandemic levels.

The hourly frequencies introducing on Sunday evenings during the pandemic are also proving to be insufficient particularly on the 23 and 172. The Sunday timetable for the 17A more generally is just dire.
They have the means to rectify these issues but actively choose to do nothing about them.

They could easily keep the Enviro 500s out in service a little later in the evening during the week and especially on Saturday nights, but they “are” actively choosing not to due to the fuel economy of those vehicles, it’s not good enough, they never will make great enough decision on these issues.

For example, the Bendy Buses and Artics are great example of what can be used when it’s super busy taking students to RGU, without doubt they will replace these eventually with models simply not suitable, in terms of a comfortable capacity to carry significant loads.

Jordan1296

The Sunday timetable for the 17A is dire. It shouldn’t, at 7:30am on a Sunday morning, take 55 minutes from Dyce to Union Street. I regularly identify at least 10 minutes, sometimes more, which can be taken off.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
38224 is off fleet, this leaves just 38205/9/10/21 left in service of the Enviro500s due to be withdrawn. 38213/15/18/19/23 are staying for the foreseeable future.

63202 has been reinstated to cover for accident damaged 63206.
The Sunday timetable for the 17A is dire. It shouldn’t, at 7:30am on a Sunday morning, take 55 minutes from Dyce to Union Street. I regularly identify at least 10 minutes, sometimes more, which can be taken off.
Agree, the journey time in general on the 17A and 172 is dire, the 17A in particularly in my opinion isn't fit for purpose, instead on Sundays they should really run both the 17 and 18 but on half hourly frequencies.

If i'm going to/from Dyce in the evening or a Sunday i'd just get the train, it takes under 10 minutes vs 45-55 minutes by bus and a single is only 10p more than the First single for the equivalent journey. So its a no brainer really....
Not good enough.

They have the means to rectify these issues but actively choose to do nothing about them.

They could easily keep the Enviro 500s out in service a little later in the evening during the week and especially on Saturday nights, but they “are” actively choosing not to due to the fuel economy of those vehicles, it’s not good enough, they never will make great enough decision on these issues.
You would've thought with the Enviro400s now all mostly in service they would've adjusted the duties so that 1/2 buses stay out late, the main reason the 1/2 is single deck operated in the evening was due to the fuel costs of the B7LAs and Enviro500s.

They're also supposedly reluctant to use the Streetdecks on all day duties now even though they have the range for it due to the unreliability of the Kittybrewster refuelling facility. Essentially if the pump fails they want to be in a position where they can at least use the Streetdecks for the first day after while cover vehicles are drafted in.

Last edited:

Jordan1296

Agree, the journey time in general on the 17A and 172 is dire, the 17A in particularly in my opinion isn't fit for purpose, instead on Sundays they should really run both the 17 and 18 but on half hourly frequencies.

If i'm going to/from Dyce in the evening or a Sunday i'd just get the train, it takes under 10 minutes vs 45-55 minutes by bus and a single is only 10p more than the First single for the equivalent journey. So it’s a no brainer really....
Very much agree. Thankfully, I only need to take the bus every second Sunday (and only one way) because there isn’t a train early enough to get me to work. The train wins the rest of the time. Like you, I would prefer if the 18 ran seven days a week.