• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flights you have been on

gswindale

Was it a while ago? I flew with them on a return trip Heathrow - Glasgow between the lockdowns in 2020, my license was given a cursory check when I dropped my bag and I did the swish security set up they have at T5.
Is that the ridiculous thing whereby they take photos of everybody passing through - creating a nightmare when you've got a slightly hungry toddler who doesn't want anybody to take a photo?

Found the whole departure/security process at Heathrow a complete nightmare several times and we're now trying to fly from much more pleasant airports such as Bournemouth or Southampton (or anywhere where the security process is actually sensible and geared up to having people pass through rather than robots).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Is that the ridiculous thing whereby they take photos of everybody passing through - creating a nightmare when you've got a slightly hungry toddler who doesn't want anybody to take a photo?

Found the whole departure/security process at Heathrow a complete nightmare several times and we're now trying to fly from much more pleasant airports such as Bournemouth or Southampton (or anywhere where the security process is actually sensible and geared up to having people pass through rather than robots).
Yes, it worked quite well the one time I've used it at T5; perhaps I was just lucky though!

I suppose I must be unique here in never being on a jet airliner at all in my 73 years ,spent all my vacations in the UK ,apart from a trip to Austria ,by road)but I did have a low level flight in a DC3 from Biggin Hill over London ,which was enjoyable ( and bumpy)
Never been in a jet? By no means am I a massive advocate of flying (unless necessary), but you should experience it once in your life. The roar of the engines and the soaring climb is a triumph of technology and modern life.

WestCoast

Established Member
They were lucky then. Ryanair have a policy of only allowing passports as ID and this has led to some people being refused boarding. I'm pretty sure the online check in process requires you to enter a passport number, so anyone without one will struggle to check in.

No actually, Ryanair will officially take driving licenses (and other photo ID) on UK domestic flights now but not to ROI. I have flown both from Edinburgh to Newquay and Stansted on my driving license last year no issues.

The conditions have carriage have been updated on their website, but there is a bit about check in that seems to say passport only. The customer service team told me any photo ID for UK domestic is now their policy.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was it a while ago? I flew with them on a return trip Heathrow - Glasgow between the lockdowns in 2020, my license was given a cursory check when I dropped my bag and I did the swish security set up they have at T5.
BA have “always” (in recent memory) required ID for checking in bags, but only started mandating it for hand baggage customers as of Sept last year, prior to that it was only advisory.

Unless you're under 16 and travelling with an adult, you are required to show something. I'm pretty sure it's the law for all flights due to potential terrorism risk, rather than an airline policy.
It isn’t the law. When BA started requiring photo ID on domestic flights in September the CAA issued a statement stating “UK aviation security regulations do not require a passenger’s identity to be checked for security purposes prior to boarding a domestic flight, in the same way when travelling within the mainland on a train or bus.”

AlastairFraser

Established Member
BA have “always” (in recent memory) required ID for checking in bags, but only started mandating it for hand baggage customers as of Sept last year, prior to that it was only advisory.

It isn’t the law. When BA started requiring photo ID on domestic flights in September the CAA issued a statement stating “UK aviation security regulations do not require a passenger’s identity to be checked for security purposes prior to boarding a domestic flight, in the same way when travelling within the mainland on a train or bus.”
Ah OK, so essentially just a unspoken rule that got formalised.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah OK, so essentially just a unspoken rule that got formalised.
Not quite. Prior to 1 Sept the wording was merely a suggestion: “we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence.” Whereas now it is quite clear that it is mandatory to provide photo ID.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Not quite. Prior to 1 Sept the wording was merely a suggestion: “we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence.” Whereas now it is quite clear that it is mandatory to provide photo ID.
The wording may have been less formal, but it was clearly regularly requested before that date.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The wording may have been less formal, but it was clearly regularly requested before that date.
Most of the comments/complaints on other forums and in news articles etc, state that it was never requested if you were travelling hand baggage only. There are numerous comments from frequent flyers who were never requested to present ID. You were only formally requested to present ID if travelling with checked luggage. There were a very small number of examples where biometrics were not available (not at Heathrow) and ID was requested.

WestCoast

Established Member
In my experience, BA never checked my ID flying domestically prior to their policy change. I would just board with my mobile boarding pass and do the biometric scan at Heathrow. I have had to show my ID since their policy change, every time.

Interestingly, easyJet still don’t seem to routinely ask for ID at the boarding gate in my experience, despite it always being their policy to require it.

Ryanair and Loganair have always asked to see it.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Photo ID is so standard in the USA that I carry photo ID with me all the time so when home in the UK and flying Ryanair, Easyjet etc, I always have it anyway.

Flew on a 777 yesterday for the first time in 5 years. It was on UA from Denver CO to Chicago O'Hare IL. Weird configuration though - in F (I flew economy) some of the seats faced backwards. In economy it was 3-aisle-4-aisle-3. Nice and cosy!