• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

how2become - NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcustandy

Having been through the recruitment process and now completed (Driver) training, I feel 'qualified' to comment on 'how2become'.

I know a lot of 'hopefuls' use that company and it's resources and perhaps place a lot of hope/faith in what they tell you. I only discovered them just as I got my Stage 2 selection dates, still I signed-up to use their online training resources, thinking it would be a great help. I also signed-up for the 'recruitment alert' service as my partner was also looking to become a train driver.

The following is my experience of how2become:

Not a single bit of the online practice I did on their site was of any use for the Stage 2 selection tests. In fact, I wasted many hours on material that simply did not form any part of the selection tests, time that could have been spent much better otherwise!

I have never had a single notification from them of any TOC recruiting. Just looking around this forum will tell you that GTR has advertised three times since I signed-up for the notification service and there have been other TOC's/jobs that have been mentioned on here but not at all via the paid-for service that how2become offers, or NOT as the case maybe.

Like I said, I have now completed my training; my partner is about to attend her Stage 2 selection tests. Not a single bit of help for either of us has come from the money that they have been taking for months!

Obviously, everyone can make their own decisions and I have heard one or two folk say they got some benefit from how2become, however, based on my (and my gf) experience, I'd advise you don't bother (you get better information from this forum!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

on track

Having been through the recruitment process and now completed (Driver) training, I feel 'qualified' to comment on 'how2become'.

I know a lot of 'hopefuls' use that company and it's resources and perhaps place a lot of hope/faith in what they tell you. I only discovered them just as I got my Stage 2 selection dates, still I signed-up to use their online training resources, thinking it would be a great help. I also signed-up for the 'recruitment alert' service as my partner was also looking to become a train driver.

The following is my experience of how2become:

Not a single bit of the online practice I did on their site was of any use for the Stage 2 selection tests. In fact, I wasted many hours on material that simply did not form any part of the selection tests, time that could have been spent much better otherwise!

I have never had a single notification from them of any TOC recruiting. Just looking around this forum will tell you that GTR has advertised three times since I signed-up for the notification service and there have been other TOC's/jobs that have been mentioned on here but not at all via the paid-for service that how2become offers, or NOT as the case maybe.

Like I said, I have now completed my training; my partner is about to attend her Stage 2 selection tests. Not a single bit of help for either of us has come from the money that they have been taking for months!

Obviously, everyone can make their own decisions and I have heard one or two folk say they got some benefit from how2become, however, based on my (and my gf) experience, I'd advise you don't bother (you get better information from this forum!).

I attended the one of the How2Become one day training courses prior to attending the stage one assessment for Trainee Train driver back in December. My position now is that I subsequently passed all the assessments and Interviews and am part way through my driver training at the moment.

However, in my experience and opinion, I totally echo marcustandy's comments above and agree that they are a total waste of money that didn't help me one bit!.

Anything that did help in my preparation I got through this forum or from the practice materials sent by the TOC. So why did I attend the one day training course, given some of the negative comments about the How2Become material/course on this site ?. Well, the answer is that I very nearly didn't. I had been (almost) convinced that it wasn't worth it, but there was always that little voice that was telling me 'what if I have a different experience and I am able to pickup some very useful information that would be key to getting me through the assessments' then the relatively small cost would be very much worth it, especially knowing that I only had 2 chances to get through.

I thought that if I didn't attend the course and ended up failing the assessments, I may end up kicking myself for not giving myself every opportunity of passing. Yes, I did waste my money but I'm still glad I went, as if I didn't go I would have always wondered if it was worth going and if I would really had missed out on something useful.

To be specific about the content of the course and the quality of the training, I just felt that even though the trainer appeared to extremely competent as a trainer per se, he had very limited knowledge of what was really needed to get through the train driver assessment process. He started off by saying that How2Become had got people to go through the assessment process so that they knew first hand what was required to pass. Whether or not this is true I don't know. However, what I do know is that some of the advice given was just plain wrong or worst or misleading at best.

For example, at one point they let us practice a Group Bourdon test. We had 5 sheets of Group Bourdon test pages (photocopied from the How2Become book). We had to go through and mark all the groups of four dots on each page for around 30 seconds before the instructor would tell us to quickly change to the next page. After finishing the instructor asked each of us fpor the average number of lines we had got through on each page. Everyone had been going through the test at a fairly swift pace.

The instructor then asked us to repeat the test, but this time he asked us all to up our pace and really go for it and to go as fast as we possibly could. Having done a lot of research already about the Group Bordon test, I had come to the conclusion that the best way to pass is to go at a fair pace but to keep a good balance of accuracy and speed. Not too slow and not too fast. I knew that many people fail by going too fast as they then don't have the required accuracy. So after the second attempt at the test on the training course, I was convinced that the Instructor was going to highlight to us that when we did the test as fast as we possibly could, our accuracy had decreased, and so his point was that we shouldn't go too fast as accuracy was very important. However, to my great surprise, he actually told us that to pass the test, we need to be going even faster that we had gone in the second attempt. He told us that we had to practice and practice to up our speed even more. He made no mention of accuracy, and going at a swift but steady pace to ensure we retain the accuracy required to pass.

I've now taken the Group Bourdon test 3 times with 3 didfferent TOC's and passed with an enhanced score each time so I believe that I have an understanding of what is required to pass this test.

The other tests that we practiced followed a similar pattern in that I thought the information given was of no use at all, and even worse, was on occasions so misleading that it could actually contribute to a candidate failing an assessment.

There was no practice of any of the new computer based tests as they didn't have anything available for us to use to practice anything in preparation for this.

The majority of the day was actually taken up with how to fill in a job application, and how to complete your CV and accompanying letter. None of this actually interested me as I hadn't had any problems at the application stage.

Anyway, the above is just my personal experience and opinion, and you are all entitled to use whatever preparation you choose and make up your own minds.

D1939

I was considering going down this road but I didn't, too be fair I think most people on here are against it.
Congratulations on being fully qualified, which TOC?

Coxie

I bought the how to become a train driver book for about a tenner on eBay. It was spot on for most of it.

Johncleesefan

Me personally, I found the book for about a tenner and very useful throughout the process. Never bothered with all the other rubbish tho like the assessment days they do. They were big bucks

vavavoom

Likewise as above.. I had two of the books and got a DVD off eBay for a fiver, and found them brilliant for interview preparation. I found them accurate and felt super prepared and confident. I found all the interview questions familiar as I'd been practicing them for weeks. I also think they have some excellent advice on interview technique.

I would certainly recommend them to anyone. They definitely helped focus my mind. I also found the practice tests inside these books helpful, finding the actual ones easier.

I speak as someone having passed all stages including the medical.

Some things obviously work for some and aren't for others but I would say it's far wide of the mark to label these as unhelpful. As above, I didn't bother with the online material or practise assessment days, recognising these as probable money spinner attemps. But the books were great.

As is the information on this site of course, priceless.

387star

On Moderation
Likewise as above.. I had two of the books and got a DVD off eBay for a fiver, and found them brilliant for interview preparation. I found them accurate and felt super prepared and confident. I found all the interview questions familiar as I'd been practicing them for weeks. I also think they have some excellent advice on interview technique.

I would certainly recommend them to anyone. They definitely helped focus my mind. I also found the practice tests inside these books helpful, finding the actual ones easier.

I speak as someone having passed all stages including the medical.

Some things obviously work for some and aren't for others but I would say it's far wide of the mark to label these as unhelpful. As above, I didn't bother with the online material or practise assessment days, recognising these as probable money spinner attemps. But the books were great.

As is the information on this site of course, priceless.

Hi have you been through the process with govia thameslink?

vavavoom

Thanks a lot.

I found it much easier than expected. As long as you feel you have decent eyesight (with or without glasses), hearing and general health, you'll have nothing to worry about.

As for will we all be taken on.. I don't know with that one. But I'd be surprised if they didn't secretly have all medical passers lined up for a course as it can't be cheap sending us all to Bupa! I'd guess that if you've had a medical you're near enough in, and they probably know when too, but just won't tell us until they have to

387star

On Moderation
Thanks a lot.

I found it much easier than expected. As long as you feel you have decent eyesight (with or without glasses), hearing and general health, you'll have nothing to worry about.

As for will we all be taken on.. I don't know with that one. But I'd be surprised if they didn't secretly have all medical passers lined up for a course as it can't be cheap sending us all to Bupa! I'd guess that if you've had a medical you're near enough in, and they probably know when too, but just won't tell us until they have to

Good to know

I have had two the past

The one I had for a platform assistant at Selhurst I think it was I found quite tricky with the hearing test booth... You had to press a button when you heard very faint tones but there was noise coming from outside the booth as it was at a southern train depot!

Indeed bupa cannot be cheap unless they have some mass discount

When it was fcc and indeed till this recruitment noone had medicals unless start dates were imminent

I heard you have to walk on tip toes remember a random address and walk in a straight line etc

I do not think they do know when we will be taken on as not only dates but locations from october are not known at present

Last edited:

vavavoom

Don't worry there's no memory test, standing on tip toes or walking in a straight line:)

I had to pee in a pot, breath test, blood pressure, ecg, eye test, weight and height, hearing test (which is in a wobbly box but in a quite room!), touching your toes, crouching once to check your knees, a peripheral vision check - which I didn't think even got close to testing mine.. And that was it I think.

387star

On Moderation
Don't worry there's no memory test, standing on tip toes or walking in a straight line:)

I had to pee in a pot, breath test, blood pressure, ecg, eye test, weight and height, hearing test (which is in a wobbly box but in a quite room!), touching your toes, crouching once to check your knees, a peripheral vision check - which I didn't think even got close to testing mine.. And that was it I think.

Ah that sounds like a breeze :D

I was wondering how much per person this must cost gtr?

Several hundred?

I worry I am underweight but hopefully will be ok!

EazyGuy

Another vote for the books, puts your mind at ease if nothing else, leave no stone unturned and all that...

marcustandy

Another vote for the books, puts your mind at ease if nothing else, leave no stone unturned and all that...

However, the online training material will have you working out multiple pulleys, levers and fulcrums ..... never to be seen at any stage of the (GTR) application process!!! :roll:

red2005

However, the online training material will have you working out multiple pulleys, levers and fulcrums ..... never to be seen at any stage of the (GTR) application process!!! :roll:

yes because the assessment process USED to have a mechanical comprehension exam about 3 years ago maybe more!

steer clear of these kind of gimmicks there's nothing they will tell you that you can't find on here!

TDK

Established Member
Once again I ask the question are there or does anyone know of any drivers who can honestly say that these gimmicks actually got them a job? I have been doing this a long time and I have never heard anyone say that the "how to become" or any other company offering their services actually ensured that an individual had got an offer! I have seen many an applicant fail at interview or before after stringently following the advice from these companies though. I seriously think there are just too many desperados out there that would sell their soul to get a drivers job, it isn't that great believe me I am sure Red can vouch for that :)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
After years of being knocked back, how2become certainly helped get me into the driving grade under the old tests as did a friend. I guess they've not been updated for the newer assessments?

Johncleesefan

The thing how2become helped me with was self organizing and discipline that the book outlines. The tests in the book were good practice but as many have said cab be found elsewhere. I do believe the book helped me engage myself but I wouldn't say it increased my chances of getting the job

Last edited:

red2005

I just don't think they can be all that if they haven't updated something as important as the assessments for a grade absolutely thousands want!

for the money you pay what do they advise you?.........do your research on the role/company........turn up smart for interview...........do as you are told.......read all questions properly.....get a good nights sleep the night before etc etc etc..........shouldn't people be doing those thing anyway no matter what the job is??

vavavoom

The books aren't expensive at all and are mostly geared to help you with the interviews. Thanks to those books I felt very prepared and confident before, and once the interviews were completed this was proven.

Some people seem to have a lot of anger towards these books for no real reason!

At no point do the books claim to be any more than what they are, or claim to be the only source of information worthy of reading. For me, having taken the new assessments, they were a great help.

These books covered most of the main questions I was asked, and how (with explanations) to structure them. Yes there are other places to find this information too. But isn't that the case with everything these days?!!

I see no harm in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.