• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

list of routes TOCs are not serving due to Covid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
moderator note : spilt from this thread

Is there any possibility of putting together a list of routes TOCs are not serving due to Covid?

Off hand I can think of SN to Sutton Loop, SN to Guildford, TL to Littlehampton (resumes December), SE to Clapham High Street / Wandsworth Road.

Anything else still missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

Is there any possibility of putting together a list of routes TOCs are not serving due to Covid?

Off hand I can think of SN to Sutton Loop, SN to Guildford, TL to Littlehampton (resumes December), SE to Clapham High Street / Wandsworth Road.

Anything else still missing?
Gatwick Express on the Brighton Main Line until the 12th?

Although considering the current Southern service using its paths, might be cheating…

CrossCountry to Guildford’s also another one for that list. The service used to run ECS from Eastleigh via Havant to Guildford, then run in service from there to Newcastle.

There was a period after the extension stopped operating in which the service continued to run as ECS from Eastleigh via Havant before stopping at Guildford and then continuing ECS to Reading to start but it now doesn’t appear to be on the timetable.

XC drivers still keep route knowledge for diversionary purposes when the line from Basingstoke to Reading is closed.

Last edited:

Martin_1981

The Newquay branch wasn't served by XC on Summer weekends this year as XC never ran any holiday trains at all. I don't think GWR ran any trains between Newquay and Paddington either during the Summer.

CAF397

There is currently no scheduled passenger trains using the Down/Up Ashburys from Ashburys to Phillips Park South Jn. Previously there was a Sundays only (?) train that ran from Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge via Ashburys. Nothing has run passenger wise (timetabled) since Covid destroyed the timetable.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is currently no scheduled passenger trains using the Down/Up Ashburys from Ashburys to Phillips Park South Jn. Previously there was a Sundays only (?) train that ran from Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge via Ashburys. Nothing has run passenger wise (timetabled) since Covid destroyed the timetable.
That service ceased prior to Covid. Arguably it should have been done as a proper passenger closure with a consultation etc., but with no intermediate stations and no unique flows (the trains didn't stop at any intermediate stations between Victoria and Stalybridge), it's fallen through the cracks.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Definitely not been the parliamentary Chiltern service to W. Ealing since Covid!

The Newquay branch wasn't served by XC on Summer weekends this year as XC never ran any holiday trains at all. I don't think GWR ran any trains between Newquay and Paddington either during the Summer.

Nothing direct, but the branch is of course still being served regularly by shuttles from Par.

warwickshire

On Moderation
I looked at doing this service when in London recently, but did notice there was an ECS movement.
From the December timetable it will run ecs London Marylebone to west ealing ecs.
Then one direction passenger service from west ealing to west direction only.
Both above only on Wednesdays only

From the December timetable it will run ecs London Marylebone to west ealing ecs.
Then one direction passenger service from west ealing to west direction only.
Both above only on Wednesdays only
Ie west ealing to west ruslip only.
APOLOGIES for typo.
Mobile cut out.

leytongabriel

What about the Woodgrange Park to Willesden Junction through train ( a PAX to reduce overcrowding I think) which used to run on the through line and not stop at Gospel Oak?

Kite159

Veteran Member
What about the Woodgrange Park to Willesden Junction through train ( a PAX to reduce overcrowding I think) which used to run on the through line and not stop at Gospel Oak?

Didn't that get cut back when the 172s were replaced by the 4 coach electrics which helped out the overcrowding on that route? Way before Covid hit

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Didn't that get cut back when the 172s were replaced by the 4 coach electrics which helped out the overcrowding on that route? Way before Covid hit
Yes they were removed once the EMU service was fully introduced.

dk1

Veteran Member
Which was super odd in a year or more of staycations.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
And when railways are getting more reliant on leisure travel.
It's almost as if they know the government will pay, so why bother getting any passengers.

Timmyd

South Eastern Herne Hill-Elephant, with the Beckenham Junction-Blackfriars service withdrawn and no sign of returning

pompeyfan

Established Member
Gatwick Express on the Brighton Main Line until the 12th?

Although considering the current Southern service using its paths, might be cheating…

CrossCountry to Guildford’s also another one for that list. The service used to run ECS from Eastleigh via Havant to Guildford, then run in service from there to Newcastle.

There was a period after the extension stopped operating in which the service continued to run as ECS from Eastleigh via Havant before stopping at Guildford and then continuing ECS to Reading to start but it now doesn’t appear to be on the timetable.

XC drivers still keep route knowledge for diversionary purposes when the line from Basingstoke to Reading is closed.

There’s a set of empties that runs to Reading passes Fareham around 0520 towards Guildford and 2300 towards Eastleigh. Can’t Remember the head codes off the top of my head.

Regarding the SN Guildford and Sutton services, I can’t see them returning as there is no route retention paths from what I can see.

Established Member
There are much better routes to be utilising a stretched fleet then trundling on a 3 hour round trip to Newquay, which is nowhere near as busy as it once was.

And when railways are getting more reliant on leisure travel.
It's almost as if they know the government will pay, so why bother getting any passengers.
Almost as if they knew that there were better routes to be using the sets on than a slow branch line in Cornwall.

dk1

Veteran Member
There are much better routes to be utilising a stretched fleet then trundling on a 3 hour round trip to Newquay, which is nowhere near as busy as it once was.

Almost as if they knew that there were better routes to be using the sets on than a slow branch line in Cornwall.
But the thing is they didn’t even do that so I still find it odd.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes they did. Most services were doubled up, and a lot of them were still full and standing for large parts of their journies.
But to a much reduced frequency. XC didn’t even bother to serve Torbay directly even on Summer Saturdays apart from one evening departure & a shuttle to Temple Meads. Very poor really.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
There’s a set of empties that runs to Reading passes Fareham around 0520 towards Guildford and 2300 towards Eastleigh. Can’t Remember the head codes off the top of my head.

Regarding the SN Guildford and Sutton services, I can’t see them returning as there is no route retention paths from what I can see.
There are route knowledge retention paths for the Wimbledon Loop for Southern drivers from Dec 21 onwards.

Mugby

Established Member
Not sure if this counts but:

LNW are withdrawing trains from the Marston Vale and Abbey lines as from Monday 20th Dec. Bus substitution provided.

Nova1

LNW are withdrawing trains from the Marston Vale and Abbey lines as from Monday 20th Dec. Bus substitution provided.
…again? Must be fun to be a traveller down there.

Leamington Spa - Kenilworth - Coventry I believe is still in a similar state, seeing only a handful of trains per day but mostly buses.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Makes sense, frees up the staff to run mainline services which more passengers will use.

The Caterham and Tattenham Corner direct fast trains to Victoria (up am, down pm). Yes, the journey can be made via a change at East Croydon, but the through trains were useful. I’d expect them to be among the last back on the Southern network.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I know CrossCountry didnt serve Newquay but I thought GWR did this year. Sorry if I'm wrong!

dk1

Veteran Member
I know CrossCountry didnt serve Newquay but I thought GWR did this year. Sorry if I'm wrong!
GWR had locals but apart from during that Surfboard weekend thing I thought even they didn’t make an effort with Paddington services.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Eurostar are currently not serving Ashford International or Ebbsfleet International. This is a huge inconvenience for us all.

Neither Calais or Lille get stops either for the time being. This makes day trips impossible to either unless you fancy heading to Paris.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Eurostar are currently not serving Ashford International or Ebbsfleet International. This is a huge inconvenience for us all.

Neither Calais or Lille get stops either for the time being. This makes day trips impossible to either unless you fancy heading to Paris.
Lille is served.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Lille is served.
I wish I had known that back in October. The Eurostar website really should show intermediate stops. Trainline won’t always display them.

My sister was in Paris earlier this month and didn’t stop in Lille in either direction. It is a shame

Status
Not open for further replies.