• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Train Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
What are the calling on lights and stabling lights actually used for on trains on the London Underground?

Are the calling on lights used to tell another train that it can come into the platform and the stabling light used when the train is in the siding, or do they have another purpose?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pete2210

ryan125hst, the calling on light is/was intended to give the driver of an assisting train permission to couple mechanically or electrically up to a defective train for the purpose of getting the train moved to a platform where it could be detrained and worked to a depot or siding as needed.

The Stabling light is just that, a light that is illuminated when a train is stabled.

The calling on light is operated by a train key so if it is illuminated the driver of a following train knows that whilst the light is illuminated he can pull up close behind it (signalling/junctions permitting of course) to offer assistance. I think with the advent of connect radio the calling on light's functions are diminished or even obsolete now.

ryan125hst

Established Member
So are the calling on lights always on on the back of the train, or are they only switched on when the train needs assistance?

Why do the drivers/ depot staff need a stabling light? Is it for safety?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why do the drivers/ depot staff need a stabling light? Is it for safety?

I would assume it's to indicate at a glance to staff in the depot that the train isn't suddenly going to move and potentially hit them! :) :P

When the driver switches on a calling on light both the front and rear lights come on.

With the advent of LED tail lights most trains don't actually need a stabling light as the tail light are normally switched on permanently from two separate feeds and are then controlled by the control key being in or out.

When driver only trains were introduced it became a LUL requirement that both tail lights and the stabling light are to be switched on at the rear of the train at all times.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Thank you for your replies. I think I understand the use of the lights now.

The calling on lights are switched on from the front cab when the train needs assistance and lights come on at both the front and rear of the train. This gives the driver permission to couple up to the train to rescue it if it breaks down.

The stabling light is used when the train is stabled to tell staff that it isn't going to move. I'm guessing it uses less battery power than two tail lamps, but now that they use LED lights, it isn't as much of a problem, so they can now use one tail light for this purpose. (I think they have removed the stabling light from the C Stock now)

1018509, do you mean that the tail lights and stabling lights are switched on all the time, even when the train is in service? If so, why is this as the train isn't stabled when it is in service.

Finally, what colours are the lights?

Please correct me if I am wrong with anything that I have said above.

The tail lights and headlights are switched on in all end cabs. Insertion of the control key puts the tail lights out and illuminates the headlights.

The stabling light is switched from a MCB panel in the cab but is not further switched by the control key. Occasionally a train will run with headlights on and a stabling light showing but drivers are normally quite good at checking their MCB panel at each end both before leaving the cab and upon entering the cab. (MCB = miniature circuit breaker (also used as switches)).

The tail lights are LED clusters with a standard Edison screw fitting.

The stabling light also has a standard Edison screw fitting but is a smaller light cluster.

All the above comes from my years as a 1938,1956,1959.1962 and 1973 stock train maintainer it may not apply to all or any other stock.

I believe the LED's are about to be changed as the type used is becoming hard to source.

Both have red LED's and have covers with red lenses.

Later (post 1973 stock) trains may not have a stabling light. I don't know. Depot staff do not use it for any particular purpose but will check that it is on during the 24 hourly train prep.

Last edited:

Never ran in service on the Piccadilly so no real chance to work on 92 stock.

Last proper train, A60/62, put out to grass, a bit like me.:lol:

Pete2210

Yes likewise, out to grass I mean, nearly 8 years retired:lol: but I've got agree with you on the A60's they've lasted well, but my all time favourites were 1938 tube stock, did you have dealings with them on the Picc?

Saw a two or three 38's on the Piccadilly when I joined the line in 1971. Not sure how many units the Piccadilly had then They didn't run much after the 1973 stock came in although at one time the Piccadilly were running 1938, 1956,1959,1962, and 1973 stock.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Currently, C Stock have LED tail-lights only, the stabling light has been removed.
D Stock are very gradually switching to LED tail-lights again with the stabling light removed. Most D Stock still retain filament bulb tail & stabling lights, the stabling light at a lower wattage.

To clear something up, it is possible to have only a stabling light illuminated and for the train to move! If the cab switches are "OFF" for the head/tail-lights.

In my understanding only the rear orange calling-on light will be illuminated if the reverser/RKL key is inserted at the front cab.

In my understanding only the rear orange calling-on light will be illuminated if the reverser/RKL key is inserted at the front cab.
Prefurb 73 stock definitely illuminated front and rear calling on lights with key inserted. Can't remember about post refurb 73's. It's an age thing.:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.