• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern station PIS announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Just about to board a Northern service at Ulverston station, and noticed that the announcements are Celia. I could’ve sworn they were Anne previously - when did they change?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railwaytrack

Just about to board a Northern service at Ulverston station, and noticed that the announcements are Celia. I could’ve sworn they were Anne previously - when did they change?
All of the Northern Rail and Chiltern Railways station announcements use the Ketech system voiced by Celia Drummond (which is good as she is much better than the voices of the Atos Worldline system which is used almost everywhere these days).

I think that these are the only operators left with Celia Drummond on the station announcements (although she is also still used onboard all South West Trains 158/159/444/450/455/456/458/484 and the Jubilee Line 1996 stock and the Northern Line 1995 stock).

Northern Rail switched over from Atos Worldline to Ketech a few years ago. I think that it was during the Arriva Rail North period that they switched.

railwaytrack

Bolton is manual PA. For each and every service
Yes i forgot there are a few stations which have not had automated announcements installed yet. Bolton must be one of the largest to still not have them installed. But i am sure they will be installed soon.

Wilmslow is still ATOS Anne, at least on platform 3.
No it does not (unless they have reverted back very recently which i find very unlikely). Wilmslow has Celia Drummond on all platforms including on P3. I was there four times within the past couple of months and it was always Celia Drummond on all platforms including on P3. When was it that you heard Anne at this station (as i am guessing it must have been a long time ago).

londonmidland

Established Member
Wilmslow is still ATOS Anne, at least on platform 3.
I somehow doubt it, especially now. All Northern stations use the KeTech system, which is voiced by Celia*

*Except selected stations which still retain manual announcements, such as Bolton.

londonmidland

Established Member
I’ve contacted Northern regarding the broken announcements at Wilmslow. So hopefully they may finally get fixed.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Yes i forgot there are a few stations which have not had automated announcements installed yet. Bolton must be one of the largest to still not have them installed. But i am sure they will be installed soon.

No it does not (unless they have reverted back very recently which i find very unlikely). Wilmslow has Celia Drummond on all platforms including on P3. I was there four times within the past couple of months and it was always Celia Drummond on all platforms including on P3. When was it that you heard Anne at this station (as i am guessing it must have been a long time ago).
The TfW service to Manchester was delayed by 50 minutes last Wednesday I was there but the voice was very quiet so hard to tell to be fair. Also I was at Meadowhall and the PIS wasn't even announcing the services when I was there in Jan. Only Northern station I've used that had a working PIS was Marsden and a couple of the Hope Valley stations.

Parallel

Established Member
The TfW service to Manchester was delayed by 50 minutes last Wednesday I was there but the voice was very quiet so hard to tell to be fair. Also I was at Meadowhall and the PIS wasn't even announcing the services when I was there in Jan. Only Northern station I've used that had a working PIS was Marsden and a couple of the Hope Valley stations.
Apparently they’re awaiting a ‘replacement part’ at Meadowhall - I agree it needs sorting soon as fast trains pass through and it helps to warn passengers/leisure shoppers to stay back when the trains approach - particularly if there are young kids running around on the platforms.

Northern don’t really manage their CIS system well unfortunately, especially on the west side. Common issues seem to be poor coverage of speakers, new recordings not being configured properly or the system not working at all. Their system has been upgraded in recent years and Celia can now announce the location of a train when there is a delay, delay repay details and where there is disruption on the network. I doubt it’s the system that’s naff as Chiltern use KeTech as well but theirs seems to be better maintained as it is much more reliable.

londonmidland

Established Member
Apparently they’re awaiting a ‘replacement part’ at Meadowhall - I agree it needs sorting soon as fast trains pass through and it helps to warn passengers/leisure shoppers to stay back when the trains approach - particularly if there are young kids running around on the platforms.
The P.A system was working at Meadowhall around two weeks ago although it was quite tinny sounding due to the old speakers, as well as being quite hard to hear due to lack of speaker coverage around the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.