• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overdistance Excess - Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I've asked about over distance excesses before, and have many other people judging by the number of threads found by a search! But I am still confused about them, especially after an incident today.

I bought an anytime day return from Oldfield Park to Keynsham this morning to get to work. Whilst at work I realised that I needed to come into Bath city centre instead of go straight home after work, so assumed I would be able to simply excess my return portion to Bath Spa. There are no ticketing facilities at Keynsham, and the guard did not come around the train (it was pretty full with a mixture of commuters and people with massive bags heading for Glastonbury), so there was no chance to get the excess before or during the journey.

At Bath Spa the member of staff at the gate would not sell me an over distance excess and would only sell a single from Oldfield Park to Bath Spa. His reasoning was that the single ticket WAS an excess. I didn't really have the time to argue, so just gave in. It isn't much extra I paid, but it has left me pretty damn confused about over distance excesses! So does anyone fancy clearing it up?

I also wonder what would have happened if I had been on a service from Keynsham that didn't stop at Oldfield Park, such as the SWT services, as the single ticket I was sold would not have been valid.

(One thing I did think about is that as Bath Spa and Olfield Park are around 1 mile from each other, does the shortest route +3 mile rule come into this at all? - NRE say's it doesn't, but if it did then an excess or extra ticket wouldn't be needed as you could use Bath Spa as an intermediate station and just stop short).

Sorry for all the questions, I am very confused right now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Very few staff (apart from Guards) seem to be willing & able to issue over-distance excesses. Given that the difference in fares is negligible, you may be better off asking for a Bath ticket if you think there's any chance of you returning to Bath.

Also some people argue that once you have started using any part of the ticket, an over-distance excess is not applicable. It's not an argument I agree with, but it's not an argument I want to be having either.

As for the shortest route, that's debatable, but if the train calls at Oldfield Park then your ticket definitely expires at that point. But if the train doesn't, then there is an argument to say that you should be allowed to go via Bath for interchange purposes if you are still within 3 miles, but I'm not sure I'd want to be the one arguing that point!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
In you circumstance I think you were unlucky to not get an 'over-riding' (over distance) excess fare.

If there was an opportunity to buy before boarding (and you didn't use it) you would be sold a new single ticket from the last place the ticket held was valid (this could be important if the train does not stop at the destination on the ticket held).

If there was not an opportunity before boarding (or there is and you use it), you should either be charged the whole difference between the fare you paid and the fare for the journey you are making or a new single ticket from the last place the ticket held was valid (whichever is cheaper).

Note: 'Over-riding' (over-distance) is 'travelling beyond the destination printed on the ticket' and is not the same as 'off route to a new destination'.

Further note: When getting an over-riding (over-distance) excess, the whole ticket must be excessed, not just the portion you are using.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Similar situation to yours the other day... wanted Mauldeth Road - Orrell - Manchester Airport. Couldn't get the guard on the train from Mauldeth, so had to buy from G4S at Piccadilly... who of course will not issue tickets from Manchester Airport because it has a manned ticket office, even if you make it clear you got on somewhere that doesn't. So bought a Mauldeth Road to Orrell return, went to the Travel Centre to ask for an excess to Manchester Airport... and was offered a Mauldeth Road - Manchester Airport single or nothing. Argh!

Actually, might not be that similar after all, because a bit of checking reveals that Mauldeth Road to Orrell and Manchester Airport to Orrell cost the same... How blooming annoying!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
'Over-riding' (over-distance) excess fares are probably the only time you'd get a 'zero fare' excess fare, as without the excess you don't have an entitlement to travel beyond the destination, however, many staff are instructed not to issue 'zero fare' excess fares and allow travel as if the excess was held. Personally, I'd still issue the zero fare for over-riding, but there are times it wouldn't be necessary.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I always knew it can be hit and miss depending on the member of staff you get. Indeed I know some staff will automatically sell you an excess even if you do not ask for one if it is appropriate to the journey you are making if it saves you money. Just wish (as with many other things I guess) there was more consistency.

Welshman

Established Member
I am distressed to read some people have had grief when requesting this simple procedure.

I can only refer again to my experience at Manchester Piccadilly a little while ago [mentioned in these columns], when the young lady at the Virgin ticket desk cheerfully and efficiently issued me with a zero over-distance excess to allow me to use my return Manchester-Rhyl ticket to Abergele and Pensarn.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I can only refer again to my experience at Manchester Piccadilly a little while ago [mentioned in these columns], when the young lady at the Virgin ticket desk cheerfully and efficiently issued me with a zero over-distance excess to allow me to use my return Manchester-Rhyl ticket to Abergele and Pensarn.

Just goes to show what a mixed bag they are. I must berate myself for failing to make this clear. It's all too easy to focus on the times we receive poor service and forget to commend it when things are done properly.

34D

Established Member
Similar situation to yours the other day... wanted Mauldeth Road - Orrell - Manchester Airport. Couldn't get the guard on the train from Mauldeth, so had to buy from G4S at Piccadilly... who of course will not issue tickets from Manchester Airport because it has a manned ticket office, even if you make it clear you got on somewhere that doesn't. So bought a Mauldeth Road to Orrell return, went to the Travel Centre to ask for an excess to Manchester Airport... and was offered a Mauldeth Road - Manchester Airport single or nothing. Argh!

Actually, might not be that similar after all, because a bit of checking reveals that Mauldeth Road to Orrell and Manchester Airport to Orrell cost the same... How blooming annoying!

In that case, you have cause to complain both about the G4S staff and the booking office staff, and to receive a refund of the excess money you have paid.

Starmill

Veteran Member
In that case, you have cause to complain both about the G4S staff and the booking office staff, and to receive a refund of the excess money you have paid.

Thankfully I didn't pay any extra money - I didn't travel. Not to Manchester Airport anyway.

And complaining to Northern is like complaining to a brick wall, they never do anything, at all, ever. And they seem don't give compensation for staff issues (not to me anyway).

It is normally worth complaining to Virgin though.

trentside

Established Member
I am distressed to read some people have had grief when requesting this simple procedure.

Glad to hear a positive experience.

From my own point of view as a ticket clerk, if someone says they want a single from A to B, as they've got to extend their journey there I will always offer to check for an appropriate over-distance excess as this can save them money. This works especially well when there is no money due for the excess (as encountered by Welshman) but to purchase a separate single would have cost a few pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.