• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planned Rail Replacement Bus v Planned Road Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
So the journey I had today has thrown up a couple of questions!

Travelling from my parents in Wales back home to Bath, had to take a replacement bus from Cardiff to Bristol Parkway. Didn't think much of it because with the electrification work going on, this has happened a few times over the last couple of years now and that leg usually isn't too bad.

However we had some fun because there was a planned closure on the M4 around the Newport area which caused total chaos. The leg was in the timetable for 70 minutes, which sounds about right (in the past I think it has been around the same, maybe ever so slightly less but roughly right, and Google Maps says the journey by car should be around the same amount of time). But because of the road closure and resulting traffic chaos, it actually took 150 minutes. Fun times!

So, based on that:

1 - Who decides on the amount of time given to a rail replacement bus on the timetable? Network Rail or the ToC running the replacement bus?

2 - Shouldn't planned road closures be taken into account when deciding the time given in the timetable?

3 - Are planned road closures usually not taken into account when it comes to doing works that will require replacement buses? (I understand that the rail works may have been planned in advance, but surely a rethink should have happened at some point?).

4 - Am I being unfair in expecting the ToC's involved to have actually informed passengers that there was a road closure that would throw the timetable out of the window?

5 - For ToC's who run older compensation schemes that only apply if the issue is the fault of the railway (opposed to Delay Repay which always pays out), would something like this generally qualify? Because technically the delay was because of the road closure!

ps - apologies if this sounds like a rant, I am genuinely not trying to rant, I am actually interested to find out how something like this is organised and the reasons behind decisions that seem odd from a passenger point of view!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mugby

Established Member
I bet road closures never even entered their minds when the RRB schedules were drawn up!

LAX54

Established Member
Rail Closures are planned a long time before road works and closures are planned, as for timings that would be the TOC and worked out at the outset.

No doubt had the Council asked NR if there were any major works planned over the next 24 months (or more) they would have told them !

The Planner

Veteran Member
Depends on if its Highways England or council controlled roads, HE will be planning as far out as NR I expect. As for 1, that is down to the TOC as they provide the running times to us to use.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
around here the standard service bus operators often seem to be taken by surprise by planned road closures.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The M4 Eastbound was closed through the Brynglas Tunnels yesterday and although there was a diversionary route via the A48 Ring Road, the whole of Newport was gridlocked. I didn't see it yesterday but the same closure took place last week and I witnessed it first hand as drivers were trying to take alternative routes. The diversionary route was not entirely suitable to take all the additional traffic and, although mostly dual carriage way, there are multiple sets of traffic lights which only tend to add to the problem. I do know from Twitter that Rail Replacement Buses were caught up in gridlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.