• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
Whilst the discussion about the past is interesting, what's going to happen going forwards is potentially more important.

With things as they are by the end of the century the UK is predicted to have a population of 88 million.

However if we went to zero immigration it is predicted to be at 45 million. However, that's only half the problem, as between now and then the numbers of older people would increase significantly which will mean that the population pyramid would be very different to the 1920's when the UK population was last at around 45 million.

Whilst the upper range would cause issues, likewise the lower range would also cause issues.

As I've been saying for some time some immigration is likely to be useful and the conversation shouldn't be as binary as none of lots, but rather what is a sensible number to be aiming for to create a good economy.

Whist the numbers of over 65's are due to spike then there could be a case for showing the total population to increase, but only at a rate which means that the working population as a percentage would be falling, just not falling as fast as without immigration (i.e. for every 1,000 retiring 850 entering the working population via moving here or aging from childhood).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
It may demonstrate that immigration was not necessary for growth in that period, but it does not demonstrate that it is not necessary now. The economic environment is not the same now as it was between 1850 and 1950.

But if you're going to argue that growth is impossible without immigration today, you need to come up with a plausible good reason why that should be the case. And that's a pretty tall order - technology improvements continue to happen and there seems no reason why in principle that shouldn't allow continued productivity improvements by itself.

In fact I'd go further. The idea that per-capita growth is impossible without immigration is utterly bonkers. I really can't believe that people are seriously suggesting that as a way to justify immigration.

Of course there may be some structural problems in the UK at the moment that make growth difficult (and the fact that GDP growth has been so low for the last 15 years strongly suggests that is the case). But in that case, surely we should focus on identifying and fixing those structural problems rather than trying to - in effect - steal people from other countries?

It is not obvious, or even true, that per capita economic growth can only be achieved by improvements in technology or working practices etc. Adding more working immigrants to the population increases the proportion of working people in the population, and therefore is another way to causes per capita economic growth.

That argument doesn't work because the proportion of working people is always roughly capped. Certainly, in the short term you can increase the proportion of the population who are working by encouraging people of working age to come into the country, but that's not going to work in the long term because as the % in work grows you'd need to keep importing a higher and higher number of people to make any significant difference. That's in contrast to productivity improvements thanks to technology which - as far as we currently know - are unbounded.

Established Member
You just have to look at how many families trace their origins back to inwards migration from the colonies from the 1700s onwards

Can you provide some clarification of that statement? If we think first about the early 1700s, what colonies did we have? Parts of North America (what are now Canada and the USA), parts of the Indian sub-continent, parts of Southern Africa. British people who lived in those places largely considered themselves British. If they returned to Britain they would be British coming back home, not immigrants. Actually, making the journey wasn't easy, because of the costs, and it was slow and dangerous.

Looking at the later 1700s, the USA was no longer a British colony. We controlled more of the Indian sub-continent than previously, and a bit more of southern Africa, We'd just started to settle in Australia, but there cannot have been many people returning to Britain, and those who did would be British returning home, not immigrants from the colonies.

Or did you mean indigenous people coming from India or parts of Africa or North America? Yes, there were some, and more than traditionally have been recognised, but still a small minority of the total population and I doubt that they had much impact on the British economy. Except in a few specific areas they remained unusual.

Dent

But if you're going to argue that growth is impossible without immigration today
At no point did I make any such argument, that is a strawman which you fabricated.

What I actually said was that the "evidence" that your presenter to show that immigration is not necessary doesn't actually show that because it is based on a period with a very different economic background to what exists now.

Secondly, your claim that there is only one way to create per capita economic growth is false since other possibilities do exist, and I explained one of these other possibilities.

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't believe that's correct. The stats showed that between 1850 and ~1950 massive growth happened in the absence of significant immigration. That is enough by itself to demonstrate that immigration is not in any way necessary for economic growth.
Between 1850 and 1950 I would agree, but as it stands now we have a severe skills shortage. That's only going to be resolved by training people to fill the roles - which will take anything from one to seven years per person, or by allowing already-trained people into the country.

Dent

That argument doesn't work because the proportion of working people is always roughly capped.
In what way is the proportion of working people "always capped"? How would adding more working people to the population which includes some non working people not lead to an increase in the proportion of the population who are working?

The only real cap is that it can't be more than 100%, but as that is not currently the case it is possible to increase the proportion.

Yew

Established Member
It may demonstrate that immigration was not necessary for growth in that period, but it does not demonstrate that it is not necessary now. The economic environment is not the same now as it was between 1850 and 1950.
Indeed, there was large global population growth due to the development of Artificial fertilizers.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
In what way is the proportion of working people "always capped"? How would adding more working people to the population which includes some non working people not lead to an increase in the proportion of the population who are working?

The only real cap is that it can't be more than 100%, but as that is not currently the case it is possible to increase the proportion.

But increasing the population now isn't a long term way to raise the % of working people. You have the problems that (1) the people you import will eventually retire and therefore no longer be working, reducing the % of people working again, except now you have a bigger total population, and (2) you'd have to bring in a huge number of people to make a noticeable difference to the % of people working - and that then causes problems with infrastructure and community cohesion etc, and (3) there's a mathematical problem that the closer you get to the mathematical limit of 100% the less effective importing more working age people becomes (in the sense that each additional person gives a smaller % increase in the proportion of people working).

Between 1850 and 1950 I would agree, but as it stands now we have a severe skills shortage. That's only going to be resolved by training people to fill the roles - which will take anything from one to seven years per person, or by allowing already-trained people into the country.

In other words, stealing those people from the countries that made the investment in training them. I'm sure you can see the ethical problem with that.

The Ham

Established Member
But increasing the population now isn't a long term way to raise the % of working people. You have the problems that (1) the people you import will eventually retire and therefore no longer be working, reducing the % of people working again, except now you have a bigger total population, and (2) you'd have to bring in a huge number of people to make a noticeable difference to the % of people working - and that then causes problems with infrastructure and community cohesion etc, and (3) there's a mathematical problem that the closer you get to the mathematical limit of 100% the less effective importing more working age people becomes (in the sense that each additional person gives a smaller % increase in the proportion of people working).

In other words, stealing those people from the countries that made the investment in training them. I'm sure you can see the ethical problem with that.

It does of course depends on how many people you have coming to the UK, as I said last time I posted on this thread, with zero immigration the UK population would fall to 45 million by the end of this century. However before we get to that point in time there would be a problem with there being more and more people in retirement and a gaming working aged population.

Yes if things carried on as normal we'd reach 88 million, which will also have problems, however it's likely we'd need something between the two.

The issue is that if the number of children each women has is below 2.1 then we're going to see a falling population. It's currently about 1.7.

According to

Whilst the population will grow between 2050 and 2100 by around 7 million those aged 25-65 will grow by less than 0.7 million, even between 2023 and 2050 whilst those aged 25-65 will increase by about 4 million those aged over 65 will increase by 5 million.

That'll mean that whilst currently there's 1 person aged 65+ for each 2.7 people aged 25-64, by 2050 that's going to fall to 1 for each 2.2 and by 2100 it'll fall even further to 1 for each 1.6.

That means that for everyone who is retired after 2060 will be being supported by just 2 people of working age (whilst this may not be of much concern for those over 50 as they'll be over 85 by that point, without immigration the point at which we reach that 1:2 ratio would be much sooner).

Dent

But increasing the population now isn't a long term way to raise the % of working people.
Your claim was that there is only one way to increase per capita productivity. Whether the alternative example given "long term", however that is defined, doesn't change the fact that at least one alternative exists, therfore proving for claim that the is only one way to be false.

You have the problems that (1) the people you import will eventually retire
Not all immigrants do retire here. Seasonal workers, for example, return home after the work here is done.

you'd have to bring in a huge number of people to make a noticeable difference to the % of people working - and that then causes problems with infrastructure
I see you're rushing headlong into the xenophobic cliché of blaming infrastructure problem on immigrants again. This is particularly wide of the mark given how much of the infrastructure is actually dependent on migrant labour to actually provide the infrastructure.

community cohesion
What even is "community cohesion", and why is it desirable? The term "community cohesion" sounds like a euphemism for a lack of diversity, and a desire for that is xenophobia.

Magdalia

Established Member

DatasetPrincipal projection - UK population in age groups​

This is the latest dataset from ONS but it has two important drawbacks.

One is that the assumptions are either out of date or not transparent. Fertility and mortality are the same assumptions that were used in the 2020 dataset, published in January 2023, see here:

National population projections, background, methodology and assumption setting: 2020-based interim​

Information on the data, methods and assumption setting process used to produce the 2020-based interim national population projections.

Things particularly to note from that the 2020 assumptions include:

• fertility assumed at 1.59, whereas the latest data for 2022 is 1.49
  • expectation of life at birth assumed at 82.8 for males and 85.3 for females, whereas latest data is 78.6 for males and 82.6 for females
  • net inward migration at 205k per annum, ONS say this has been updated but I can't find the figure they have used.
The other drawback is that the ONS spreadsheet does not show any variations in projections if different assumptions are used.

A much clearer picture will emerge when the ONS update the figures, with new assumptions. These are currently scheduled for November.

nw1

Established Member
What even is "community cohesion", and why is it desirable? The term "community cohesion" sounds like a euphemism for a lack of diversity,
I'd tend to agree here. One person's "community cohesion" is another's insularism, and I'm not talking only about migrants. One thing I detest is how locals in rural districts sometimes complain about "townies" visiting their area, characterising them as litter droppers, wildlife disturbers, etc.

Last edited:

Enthusiast

Established Member
I mention this quite often in discussions over immigration. The UK (and indeed other western countries) seem to have no problem with denuding less developed countries of their fittest and brightest people. But those countries will never develop when they are losing the very people they need to help them with that development. It simply maintains those nations as "developing" (aka underdeveloped).
I see you're rushing headlong into the xenophobic cliché of blaming infrastructure problem on immigrants again. This is particularly wide of the mark given how much of the infrastructure is actually dependent on migrant labour to actually provide the infrastructure.
It doesn't really matter where the additional population comes from. More people need more infrastructure. For various reasons those already here either cannot or will not contribute towards providing that infrastructure. So you import more people. Lo and behold they need more infrastructure. So what do you do???

The idea that the country must have a perpetually growing population to flourish and survive is lunacy. No species can grow in numbers indefinitely, especially when restricted to a fairly small area such as the UK. Mr Sunak or whoever follows him must find ways to manage the country with a population that at least remains stable and ideally one that is slightly reducing. It's no use bleating "But there will be nobody to look after the old people." Ways must be found to do so. One thing is for sure - insisting on an ever growing population to service the needs of an ever growing population is the strategy of the madhouse. It's about as sensible as encouraging cats to have more kittens because many of their number finish up in a sack at the bottom of the canal.

nw1

Established Member
Aren't they?
That's certainly the feeling around here.

Of course not. A ridiculous generalisation and as a town dweller myself, I find this attitude extremely unwelcoming.

Indeed, I have known plenty of examples of farmers and landowners using their land as a dumping ground for all sorts of junk. Or acting in an anti-social and illegal way by blocking footpaths with barbed wire or electric fence - and then start shouting at you and making threats if you complain! So it's absolutely not a case of "countryside dweller good, town dweller bad". It depends on the individual. There are good and bad landowners, and good and bad visitors to the countryside.

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
I mention this quite often in discussions over immigration. The UK (and indeed other western countries) seem to have no problem with denuding less developed countries of their fittest and brightest people. But those countries will never develop when they are losing the very people they need to help them with that development. It simply maintains those nations as "developing" (aka underdeveloped).

It doesn't really matter where the additional population comes from. More people need more infrastructure. For various reasons those already here either cannot or will not contribute towards providing that infrastructure. So you import more people. Lo and behold they need more infrastructure. So what do you do???

The idea that the country must have a perpetually growing population to flourish and survive is lunacy. No species can grow in numbers indefinitely, especially when restricted to a fairly small area such as the UK. Mr Sunak or whoever follows him must find ways to manage the country with a population that at least remains stable and ideally one that is slightly reducing. It's no use bleating "But there will be nobody to look after the old people." Ways must be found to do so. One thing is for sure - insisting on an ever growing population to service the needs of an ever growing population is the strategy of the madhouse. It's about as sensible as encouraging cats to have more kittens because many of their number finish up in a sack at the bottom of the canal.

The issue isn't necessary the numbers of people, as long as there's suitable infrastructure.

However the question comes is if we are having a falling population how does the shrinking working population deal with the issue of supporting the aging population?

As I highlighted before by 2060 we (with ongoing immigration as it currently is) reach 1 retired person for each 2 working, without immigration that's going to be reached sooner.

At that ratio each working person had to pay £5,750 in taxes just to cover the state pension of the 0.5 people they are supporting. That's before paying for other state provided things like there NHS (with those over 75 more likely to use it than those of working age).

It's why it's madness that the government isn't trying to retain UK born doctors (I know of several who've moved overseas as they have a better quality of life in places like New Zealand, Australia and Canada) or picking a fight with train staff (who are well paid and so pay quite a lot in taxes) or want to cut taxes for the wealthy (the majority who are accepting of paying the current rates of tax, so why reduce the income from them) and so on.

brad465

Established Member
Like a lot of things in society, it's what the richest 1% want, especially those invested in sectors that benefit hugely from increasing population, such as housing and large corporations paying exploitative wages. We also need to convince a critical mass of voters that putting so much emphasis on trying to boost GDP is not the solution to many problems, but the cause of them. We cannot have our cake and eat it.

Magdalia

Established Member
trying to boost GDP is not the solution to many problems, but the cause of them. We cannot have our cake and eat it.
GDP is the cake. Without GDP growth the cake stays at the same size and there is no improvement in living standards or public services.

takno

Established Member
GDP is the cake. Without GDP growth the cake stays at the same size and there is no improvement in living standards or public services.
The can of course be sliced differently, increased productivity with static GDP can still lead to quality-of-life improvements such as reduced working hours, and technological developments can still mean that the things we have can get better over time

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The issue isn't necessary the numbers of people, as long as there's suitable infrastructure.

But at the moment we know that in many respects there isn't the infrastructure. We certainly have a massive shortage of housing, and there appears to be a shortage of GP/health facilities. Our water infrastructure struggles to cope. etc. etc.

However the question comes is if we are having a falling population how does the shrinking working population deal with the issue of supporting the aging population?

Sure, and IF we ever reach a point where the population starts falling below the capacity of our infrastructure, then there may well be a good argument to encourage immigration to take up that capacity. But that's not the case at the moment. Over the 20 years to 2022, the UK population increased from 59.4M to 67.6M - an increase of 14%. The UK population problem we need to solve today is that the population is growing more quickly than we can accommodate. Let's try to solve that before we worry about solving hypothetical problems that don't currently exist!

As I highlighted before by 2060 we (with ongoing immigration as it currently is) reach 1 retired person for each 2 working, without immigration that's going to be reached sooner.

Any adult coming into the country today is likely to be retiring before or soon after 2060, so it's very unlikely that encouraging more immigration today will help with a demographic problem in 2060! (At the extreme, if the retirement age stays at 67, a 20-year old at the start of his/her working life today will retire in 2071, but of course the average immigrant is older and so will retire sooner).

At that ratio each working person had to pay £5,750 in taxes just to cover the state pension of the 0.5 people they are supporting. That's before paying for other state provided things like there NHS (with those over 75 more likely to use it than those of working age).

Yes, that is a potential concern and needs a discussion about what proportion of people being retired vs working we can support. But remember it's not just numbers of older people. For example, a big reason that the numbers of elderly is putting such a strain on the system is how many people spent their lives not exercising and not looking after their own health so they now need massively more care than they would have done. In the long term, that's fixable. There's also likely to be scope for how we change the way care is provided (more automation, more family support, finding ways for people to be less isolated, etc.). Some people who enjoy their jobs might prefer to retire later (which again helps with isolation). Those are harder things to sell politically and require more thought than just bringing in ever more people (who'll themselves eventually retire and need care and pensions) but will likely provide much more sustainable solutions (while also improving many people's quality of life into the bargain).

Enthusiast

Established Member
But there isn't suitable infrastructure now. And any demands on that which exists will be greater if more people are brought into the country to improve it. It needs to be improved by the numbers already here.

As I said, it's no use bleating over that. Ways will have to be found. If you said 60 years ago "climate change will be a real problem but we'll have to put up with it because we cannot stop burning coal" many people would have agreed with you. But it was no good simply saying that. Ways had to be found to live without burning coal (unless you live in China, India or the USA).

Then a health service free for all at the point of delivery might have to be one of the things that has to go the way of coal.

But there would be if the cake did not have to be divided into an ever increasing number of pieces.

The issue is not immigration per se. The issue is with the idea that the only way we can cure problems caused by an excess of people/lack of facilities (choose which one you prefer) is to encourage a greater excess of people. It's convenient when that excess is provided by immigration for its opponents to suffer the usual brandings (e.g. racists, bigots, xenophobes). But it doesn't matter where these extra people come from. We cannot adequately provide housing, infrastructure and the necessary public services for the people already here and that will not be cured any time soon (if at all)> So from the two preferences above we're stuck with an excess of people. A continually growing population - whether caused by immigration or by the people already here - will only make the problems worse and it is simply unsustainable.

Snow1964

Established Member

This depends on how laterally you think, someone suggested to me by the time I would need a care home, there would be some AI controlled robot carers, assisting human careers, until you opt for dignity end (which they assumed would be legal in UK by then). I suspect they might be close to truth by 2040s

Magdalia

Established Member
increased productivity with static GDP can still lead to quality-of-life improvements such as reduced working hours
Reduced working hours does not generate income to pay for goods and services.
technological developments can still mean that the things we have can get better over time
Somebody has to pay for that new technology, it doesn't grow on trees.
But there would be if the cake did not have to be divided into an ever increasing number of pieces
Static GDP growth and static population give static living standards. The same cake is being divided into the same number of pieces.

nw1

Established Member
Then a health service free for all at the point of delivery might have to be one of the things that has to go the way of coal.
If you want to accept such a radical right-wing action. Quite frankly, I am fed up of right-wing "solutions" to problems and fed up of the rightwards movement in British politics.

If we can find billions of extra money for defence, we can surely find money for the NHS. It's just a question of which is most important.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
If you want to accept such a radical right-wing action. Quite frankly, I am fed up of right-wing "solutions" to problems and fed up of the rightwards movement in British politics.

If we can find billions of extra money for defence, we can surely find money for the NHS. It's just a question of which is most important.
Hear, hear!

Enthusiast

Established Member

I'm not suggesting that is the sole solution. I really have no idea what the solution is. I only know what is not the solution (to the UK having insufficient housing and infrastructure for the current population). That is not to import vast numbers of additional people.

You may be fed up with what you call the rightward movement in British politics but as far as the NHS goes there is one stone cold certainty: it cannot survive in its current form for much longer and the "Left Wing" solution to throw more and more money at it will not work. No other similar economy runs its health service on the NHS model and that's for a very good reason - it doesn't work. Anybody who has had any dealings with it for anything more than a prescription for antibiotics (and in some places you'd struggle to get that) will confirm this.

I mentioned a radical change to it just as something that may have to be considered when tackling the problem of an ageing population profile. As far as prioritising health or defence goes, it isn't one or the other: both are necessary. But there is no point in pouring ever greater sums of money into a hopelessly inefficient and disorganised health service which seems to produce worse patient outcomes the more money that is hrown at it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is it just possible that Sunak's 'major speech' later today announces the long-awaited date? I'm really getting desperate, but promise this'll be my last prediction of one. :smile:

The Ham

Established Member
But at the moment we know that in many respects there isn't the infrastructure. We certainly have a massive shortage of housing, and there appears to be a shortage of GP/health facilities. Our water infrastructure struggles to cope. etc. etc.

Since 1970 compared to other European countries there's been something like 4 million fewer homes built. Since the target of 300,000 new homes a year has been set it's generally been missed. Part of the reason for needing more homes is that average household sizes have been shrinking, so you need more homes to house the same number of people. This isn't anything which should be a surprise, yet many in politics don't want to deal with it as the loss of countryside is a vote losing issue.

The lack of GP's, at least in part, is down to government policy which means that it's better for a Brit to be a doctor in New Zealand than in the UK, so many younger doctors with less toys are willing to move there or to Australia and Canada. As to the actual buildings for them, developers can be made to build them or pay for improvements/extensions to existing centers, however it's not always used by local councils.

A lot of the issues with sewer systems not coping are down to the old combined sewers. A small part of this is that the water companies have to accept new connectors from developments, the government has provision in place to remove this right and has been talking about doing so for several years, it was suggested that it would be in place last year and now again this year. If that was put in place it would help with limiting the problems, as would several other things that the government could do.

However actually new developments aren't always the problem and sometimes can be the solution. Especially with the move towards water use neutral sites (i.e. reducing water use in areas so that the development doesn't increase the amount of fresh water being used, which in turn limits the amount of waste water which needs treating - it also often means delivery of rain water storage meaning less water entering the sewer systems, and with SuDS reducing peak flows to that of green fields the impact can be quite significant).

However, there's also a need for OFWAT to have some teeth so that the water companies do as they should do.

These are all things which need sorting regardless of if there's immigration or not.

However, arguably, sorting out infrastructure issues could be easier than providing solutions to other issues.

Sure, and IF we ever reach a point where the population starts falling below the capacity of our infrastructure, then there may well be a good argument to encourage immigration to take up that capacity. But that's not the case at the moment. Over the 20 years to 2022, the UK population increased from 59.4M to 67.6M - an increase of 14%. The UK population problem we need to solve today is that the population is growing more quickly than we can accommodate. Let's try to solve that before we worry about solving hypothetical problems that don't currently exist!

Again you're focusing on the totals and not how the numbers are split between the ages, yes we shouldn't have significant growth (some may argue an annual growth of 0.66% each year, which is the same as 14% over 20 years, isn't significant growth but that's a different debate), however we also need to better plan for a future with fewer working aged people compared to retired people.

There point which I'm making is (say) 1,000,000 a year is too high, but also 0 a year is also likely to be too low. The discussion is often polarised to those two options being the only options available, they are not, we could have (say) 30,000 a year, which would likely see small reductions in the total population but still see the working population being a bit more stable.

All in saying is don't get stuck into thinking that with zero immigration all the problems will go away, as since may ease but then others become more of an issue. It may well be that the new issues are now of a problem than the old, they may not. However, either way there needs to be better long term planning for them than there currently is.

At the very least something needs to be done about social care for older people, something which no government has really done much about since at least 1997 when it was acknowledged that it was going to be an issue going forwards and is a factor as to why there's been so many cuts to local services (not helped by central government cutting grants to local councils when they need even more money to provide the level of care needed due to an aging population).

Any adult coming into the country today is likely to be retiring before or soon after 2060, so it's very unlikely that encouraging more immigration today will help with a demographic problem in 2060! (At the extreme, if the retirement age stays at 67, a 20-year old at the start of his/her working life today will retire in 2071, but of course the average immigrant is older and so will retire sooner).

Indeed, however, the point I was making is that the 2:1 ratio would arrive much sooner with zero immigration. As not only do those immigrating bring their younger age compared to the native population they are also more likely to have more children than the native population (someone coming here in their 20's are more likely to have children than me, my parents or my grandmother), even if they don't have any more children there's a fair chance that they could bring children. The predictions are that school infrastructure is already too big and will only get larger compared to the number of children in this country (that's not too say that there's not a shortage in some areas, but that's offset by over provision in others).

However even then there's 2:1 ratio is just an easy to define point, it's likely to cause issues before then. Supporting 1 from 2.7 is easier than 2.6, and that's easier than from 2.5, etc. having zero immigration is only going to make those points come sooner and closer together. Meaning making tough choices sooner.

Yes, that is a potential concern and needs a discussion about what proportion of people being retired vs working we can support. But remember it's not just numbers of older people. For example, a big reason that the numbers of elderly is putting such a strain on the system is how many people spent their lives not exercising and not looking after their own health so they now need massively more care than they would have done. In the long term, that's fixable. There's also likely to be scope for how we change the way care is provided (more automation, more family support, finding ways for people to be less isolated, etc.). Some people who enjoy their jobs might prefer to retire later (which again helps with isolation). Those are harder things to sell politically and require more thought than just bringing in ever more people (who'll themselves eventually retire and need care and pensions) but will likely provide much more sustainable solutions (while also improving many people's quality of life into the bargain).

Indeed, however part of that is likely to mean people being passively active (by which I mean that is so much part of their daily life that they do it anyway), that's likely to mean more walking, cycling and public transport use rather than jumping in the car. For that to happen that's likely to mean more LTN, more ULEZ, more people feeling that there's a "war on motorists" and the like.

That's not something which is often attributed to the Tories (although to be fair they have brought into being Active Travel England and policies which will help if used properly), however more is likely to upset more of their base (especially with their shift rightwards). Especially given car ownership is seen as a mark of achievement and the subsidising of public transport requires more government spending (which has the perception of limiting the ability to provide tax cuts).

But there isn't suitable infrastructure now. And any demands on that which exists will be greater if more people are brought into the country to improve it. It needs to be improved by the numbers already here.

As I said, it's no use bleating over that. Ways will have to be found. If you said 60 years ago "climate change will be a real problem but we'll have to put up with it because we cannot stop burning coal" many people would have agreed with you. But it was no good simply saying that. Ways had to be found to live without burning coal (unless you live in China, India or the USA).

But there would be if the cake did not have to be divided into an ever increasing number of pieces.

The issue is not immigration per se. The issue is with the idea that the only way we can cure problems caused by an excess of people/lack of facilities (choose which one you prefer) is to encourage a greater excess of people. It's convenient when that excess is provided by immigration for its opponents to suffer the usual brandings (e.g. racists, bigots, xenophobes). But it doesn't matter where these extra people come from. We cannot adequately provide housing, infrastructure and the necessary public services for the people already here and that will not be cured any time soon (if at all)> So from the two preferences above we're stuck with an excess of people. A continually growing population - whether caused by immigration or by the people already here - will only make the problems worse and it is simply unsustainable.

Where have I said that we should have an ever increasing population?

What I've questioned (and if I've not been clear on this than I'm sorry) is that because the current level of immigration causes issues that the only option available is that we should have none.

That's not the case, by cutting immigration to zero there'll also be issues. For example seeing the population reach 45 million by 2100, which would (assuming an even distribution in the fall in population over time) could see the population fall from 67 million now to 61 million in 20 years time, however at the same time the rise in those over 65, 75, and 90 being already mostly baked in so will need to deal with the issues that having a smaller working population supporting them would bring (if the total population falls by 6 million and the numbers over 75 rise by, say, one million that's quite a shift in the ratio between working and non working).

The bottom line, should there be 0, 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 people per year coming here (with the linked question of what does the population numbers look like, as for at least most of those options that's likely to still mean a falling overall population size) and what are the issues that number will bring (be that from the need for more infrastructure or from a falling working aged population as a percentage of the total population) and how do we plan for that?

There's lots of other questions which need to be answered, however as the above should highlight there's a lot of space between a totally static population size and absolutely zero people from overseas moving to the UK (which by the way would include banning UK citizens from returning here, even banning all people born overseas would mean some UK citizens having to leave their babies or children abroad to move back here, even before you consider the impact on people who have married those born overseas).

Arguably there's one policy solution, from retirement you have a maximum of 20 years to live in the UK - but that would require having a way to ensure that maximum was adhered to and few would have the stomach to bring in a rule to kill people to enforce that.

(by the way, I'm not suggesting it as a serious suggestion, I only mention it as there was a sci-fi story one which did something similar where people would get a job on their half life aged 20 and they were killed off aged 40 to keep the population in check, and it would certainly deal with a lot of the issues that we have and will have - just not a very palatable one).

nw1

Established Member
Is it just possible that Sunak's 'major speech' later today announces the long-awaited date? I'm really getting desperate, but promise this'll be my last prediction of one. :smile:

According to his fan-papers the Telegraph and one of the Mail/Express (forget which) it's to launch his vision for the next 5 years, or something.

And a very doom-laden vision, too, according to the front pages of these papers. Increasing threats from Russia and China; the world will change more in the next 5 years than the last 20 (really? The past 5 years have brought quite enough, thank you so much, it's now time for a bit of stability). Only the Tories can save the UK from disaster. etc. etc.

Quite the opposite of what I want, personally. I want a party who offers hope, progress and positivity. Not one who offers nothing but fear-mongering, doom-mongering and paranoia.

No time for Sunak's dark and despondent doom mongering at all. Five years time, I can imagine Sunak, by then a billionaire, lording it all over us with his cheesy grin. "The NHS has completely broken, the cost of living has spiralled even further. But stop complaining. I, Rishi Sunak, have stopped the UK from being a Chinese colony. If I hadn't drained money from the NHS to pour into defence, we would now all be slaves for the Chinese. Aren't I great!" ;)

Arguably there's one policy solution, from retirement you have a maximum of 20 years to live in the UK - but that would require having a way to ensure that maximum was adhered to and few would have the stomach to bring in a rule to kill people to enforce that.
Quite possibly there might be those on the far right who would advocate such a solution ;)
(by the way, I'm not suggesting it as a serious suggestion, I only mention it as there was a sci-fi story one which did something similar where people would get a job on their half life aged 20 and they were killed off aged 40 to keep the population in check, and it would certainly deal with a lot of the issues that we have and will have - just not a very palatable one).
Wasn't it "Logan's Run", and didn't the state exterminate people aged 30, not 40?
Never saw it, but I have been aware of it. I remember learning of it in my late 20s (sadly quite a while ago now, in the Blair years).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.