• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets titled with any which has mutiple stations can I use at any?

mike_transport

On Moderation
So I bought a ticket from London to Lymington I put Lymington Town in by accident I meant to put Lymington Pier it’s an off peak ticket would it still be able to use at Lymington Pier because wouldn’t it state any on the ticket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Tickets are issued specifically to either Lymington Town or Lymington Pier - there isn't a group station here, like there is with London Terminals, Reading/Reading West and so forth.

If you have a Lymington Town station it's therefore not valid to continue onto Lymington Pier. The fact the ticket is routed "Any Permitted" doesn't change the fact you're not allowed to travel beyond the destination shown on your ticket.

Technically speaking you could be treated as ticketless and penalised accordingly in the (admittedly unlikely) event that the guard checked tickets in the short time between the two stops, or that there were Revenue Protection staff onboard between the two stops or at Lymington Pier station.

I have to admit, the sleepy little Lymington branch doesn't exactly strike me as a hotspot of fare evasion that SWR are going to be hot on cracking down on, but to do things correctly you should really ask the guard whether you can continue onto Lymington Pier, or see if you can get a ticket office to issue you with an "overdistance excess".

Ironically, because the fare is the same to both stations, which means it would be a "zero fare excess", this is often harder to obtain as staff sometimes (wrongly or otherwise) believe they will be pulled up for any zero fare excesses they issue.

Wolfie

Established Member
Tickets are issued specifically to either Lymington Town or Lymington Pier - there isn't a group station here, like there is with London Terminals, Reading/Reading West and so forth.

If you have a Lymington Town station it's therefore not valid to continue onto Lymington Pier. The fact the ticket is routed "Any Permitted" doesn't change the fact you're not allowed to travel beyond the destination shown on your ticket.

Technically speaking you could be treated as ticketless and penalised accordingly in the (admittedly unlikely) event that the guard checked tickets in the short time between the two stops, or that there were Revenue Protection staff onboard between the two stops or at Lymington Pier station.

I have to admit, the sleepy little Lymington branch doesn't exactly strike me as a hotspot of fare evasion but to do things correctly you should really ask the guard whether you can continue onto Lymington Pier, or see if you can get a ticket office to issue you with an "overdistance excess".

Ironically, because the fare is the same to both stations, which means it would be a "zero fare excess", this is often harder to obtain as staff sometimes (wrongly or otherwise) believe they will be pulled up for any zero fare excesses they issue.
In that situation it would appear to be a no-brainer to buy a ticket to the further station and finish early if and when necessary.

gray1404

Established Member
Who did you purchase the ticket from and was it online or in person? When are you travelling? And is it a eTicket or paper ticket, have you collected it yet?

It may be possible for you to refund and rebook your ticket without an admin fee.