• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tips for trip to Germany (around Cologne)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dren Ahmeti

Evening all,
I’m in Cologne on holiday for a few days - I just wanted to see whether you all know of anything interesting haulage-wise, or any interesting places to visit around Cologne?
I’m thinking of getting a Quer-durchs-land ticket tomorrow, which would cover most of my travel…!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
The Nightjets pass through Cologne if you want some DB 101 action, although it's somewhat late at night.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There was a loco hauled train in the area operated by National Express but I don't know if it still runs; @Richard Scott will know!

Ticketing is a bit complicated but once we were told what the best tickets to get were, it was fine.

You can find my thread from last year here:

Gloster

Established Member
Try taking the tram along the river route to Bonn. Also try the line to Mainz along the Rhine: out one side, back the other. And, I think, there is the steep (steepest adhesion worked line in Germany?) from Boppard to Emmelshausen.

Dren Ahmeti

There was a loco hauled train in the area operated by National Express but I don't know if it still runs; @Richard Scott will know!

Ticketing is a bit complicated but once we were told what the best tickets to get were, it was fine.

Exactly what I’d heard of, and what I was looking for :D

The Nightjets pass through Cologne if you want some DB 101 action, although it's somewhat late at night.
Oooo, will look out for it!
My place is right next to Köln-Süd, so I can hear all the freights passing which is nice.

Richard Scott

Established Member

I believe it still runs. Think it was photographed with a 111 on it recently. There have been loco hauled vice units around Duesseldorf but not sure if they still run.

Established Member
If you do head out to Bonn, I'd recommend going a little further to Königswinter for the Drachenfelsbahn rack railway. It uses 1950s electric railcars with a great view from the top. There's also the choice of either light rail or heavy rail between Bonn and Königswinter so you can make a round trip of it.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
There's the suspension railway in Wuppertal, which isn't too far on the train from Cologne. (And I believe Wuppertal station also houses DB's national Lost Property Office.....)

Aachen is worth a visit (it's a more manageable size than Cologne).

You're quite near the point where Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands meet (should you be a map fetishist) - and Maastricht (an interesting and lively town I think) is in that corner of the Netherlands. (I believe there's some sort of local travel ticket covering the border areas of all 3 countries.)

Obviously Cologne Cathedral is famous - though note that right by the cathedral and the station there's an unpleasant and busy and depressing main road, which I found made it hard to head in one direction from there on foot if you're not au fait with the area.

DanielB

You're quite near the point where Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands meet (should you be a map fetishist) - and Maastricht (an interesting and lively town I think) is in that corner of the Netherlands. (I believe there's some sort of local travel ticket covering the border areas of all 3 countries.)
There is indeed, that's the Euregio ticket.

Dren Ahmeti

I believe it still runs. Think it was photographed with a 111 on it recently. There have been loco hauled vice units around Duesseldorf but not sure if they still run.
I just scored some haulage behind a 146 and double-deck carriages on the RE2, and the FlixTrain up to Osnabrück had a Taurus on the front - so all’s good in my life so far.

Veteran Member
Almost any line towards the South and East offers pleasant or better scenery. I particularly like the Lahn valley from Koblenz to Limburg, and the lower Moselle (sadly, returning from Trier through the Eifel mountains is a wash-out at the moment).

Solingen-Wuppertal via Remscheid crosses the spectacular Müngsten Bridge, easy to combine with the Schwebebahn (but not on a QdL Ticket, which is heavy-rail-only).

On Moderation
Exactly what I’d heard of, and what I was looking for :D

Oooo, will look out for it!
My place is right next to Köln-Süd, so I can hear all the freights passing which is nice.
The Amsterdam-Vienna changes loco in Köln as I understand it (possibly at Süd?). The loco from Amsterdam is one of the Vectrons NS are leasing from ELL.

rvdborgt

The Amsterdam-Vienna changes loco in Köln as I understand it (possibly at Süd?). The loco from Amsterdam is one of the Vectrons NS are leasing from ELL.
Probably Köln-West, where it is joined with the coaches from Brussels (3x/week).

MarcVD

Cross the Rhine river by foot on the walkway located along the bridge supporting the 6 parallel tracks out of Köln Hbf. And take your time to admire the constant parade of trains crossing this bridge, day and night. This is one of the most heavily loaded section of railway line anywhere in the world.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220511-220642_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220511-220642_Maps.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

duesselmartin

Established Member
I can second Königswinter and its rack railway. Königswinter also has an LRT line along the Rhine promanade with services to Bonn.
Südbrücke bridge in Cologne is good for freight.

Dren Ahmeti

Cross the Rhine river by foot on the walkway located along the bridge supporting the 6 parallel tracks out of Köln Hbf. And take your time to admire the constant parade of trains crossing this bridge, day and night. This is one of the most heavily loaded section of railway line anywhere in the world.
Quite nice views 8-)

Attachments

• 6704B51F-4DFA-4559-ADE5-F6D6C28B4A27.jpeg
    6704B51F-4DFA-4559-ADE5-F6D6C28B4A27.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 33
  • F39D0682-6744-4236-95B0-1675F5BD3F7F.jpeg
    F39D0682-6744-4236-95B0-1675F5BD3F7F.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 32

JRT

Almost any line towards the South and East offers pleasant or better scenery. I particularly like the Lahn valley from Koblenz to Limburg, and the lower Moselle (sadly, returning from Trier through the Eifel mountains is a wash-out at the moment).

Solingen-Wuppertal via Remscheid crosses the spectacular Müngsten Bridge, easy to combine with the Schwebebahn (but not on a QdL Ticket, which is heavy-rail-only).
One of the Länder regional tickets NRW should cover most of your requirements if not travelling too far, it covers most local transport but not Inter City etc.

An interesting (circular) itinerary involving a few different forms of transport, as follows:

Solingen Mitte (via trolleybus 683) Vohwinkel (Schwebebahn) Oberbarmen (local railway service S7) Schaberg (then a countryside walk to view the Müngstener Brücke from below, ending up at:) Schloß Burg (Seilbahn —cable car) down to the trolleybus stop near the bridge (trolleybus 683) Solingen Mitte

Please note that Solingen Mitte is some distance from the Hauptbahnhof!!

Last edited:

Golghar

Between the Müngstener Brücke and Schloss Burg you can cross the river Wupper on this contraption:

DBNR

Last I checked the Schwebefähre is out of action due to flood damage - not sure if things have changed but was certainly closed up around a month ago when I took the kids

JRT

Last I checked the Schwebefähre is out of action due to flood damage - not sure if things have changed but was certainly closed up around a month ago when I took the kids
Thanks Golghar I'd forgotten about that!

Dren Ahmeti

A lot of the railways in the Eifel are still shut too due to flood damage - SEV ersatzbuses are still about.

Dren Ahmeti

Attachments

• 7C6554FF-4029-4648-9AD4-B039B44E42A7.jpeg
    7C6554FF-4029-4648-9AD4-B039B44E42A7.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 446FDEB5-2545-40D2-8D50-AE22B0E15ECA.jpeg
    446FDEB5-2545-40D2-8D50-AE22B0E15ECA.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.