• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
What an absolute joke of a price tag. I really hope people realise how much of a scam that is in comparison not just to the rest of the TSC third-party dev space, but in the context of the wider gaming industry.

We're edging towards triple A game prices for DLCs for addons that are, in my opinion, only a marginal improvement on previous releases such as the 185.

From what I have seen of the product, its a feature-full release with many cool additions but non of which are anywhere near as transformative as I would expect from charging 8 quid more than AP's ask for the 411/412.

If people want examples of reasonable prices for addons, I suggest looking at the likes of PLD/Caledonian Works who've charged high, but none the less justified price tags for high quality steam locomotives. Theoretically, I would expect these two companies to be performing far better financially than the likes of ATS/AP as these high price tags should only be deterring people from buying, especially given the struggles of households these days. I also wonder if the hilariously low frequency of releases from AP/ATS is contributing to them hiking prices.

I heavily discourage people from falling for any marketing that suggests that a single train for a 15 year old game is worth the same price as many entire games.

Spot on. Absolute joke - also considering the 755 will be a separate pack (priced at what I wonder?) and you only get 3 scenarios included with the 745.

The ATS subscription model is ridiculous for a company that produces such little subware to make it anywhere near worthwhile.

And don’t get me started on their launcher…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

365 Networker

Spot on. Absolute joke - also considering the 755 will be a separate pack (priced at what I wonder?) and you only get 3 scenarios included with the 745.

The ATS subscription model is ridiculous for a company that produces such little subware to make it anywhere near worthwhile.

And don’t get me started on their launcher…
The price is absolutely ridiculous - I've no intention of purchasing and I suspect many have come to the same opinion. From what I've been able to see on YouTube, this is not exactly a professional product - graphical glitches seem to be a major problem.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
The price is absolutely ridiculous - I've no intention of purchasing and I suspect many have come to the same opinion. From what I've been able to see on YouTube, this is not exactly a professional product - graphical glitches seem to be a major problem.

Yep - pantograph glitches in and out as do the gangway bits for a start, then there’s the colour - red and yellow on the ends just doesn’t look right to me.

Monty

Established Member
Half the problem is the original developer (ATS don't actually make anything because he's a talentless hack, nothing of value anyway) was booted from the project and was subject to a nasty legal dispute, which was fortunately thrown out. As a result it's highly unlikely they or any other developer with the proper skillset is going to be willing to work with ATS in the future, so I wouldn't expect a patch or the 755 anytime soon.

I wouldn't give ATS a single penny of my money, not only is the 745 grossly overpriced the subscription fee is just not worth it for the content it provides which either basically scenarios or route merges. The guy is a blight on the TSC community.

Last edited:

Rail Quest

Half the problem is the original developer (ATS don't actually make anything because he's a talent less hack, nothing of value anyway) was booted from the project and was subject to a nasty legal dispute, which was fortunately thrown out. As a result it's highly unlikely they or any other developer with the proper skill set is going to be willing to work with ATS in the future, so I wouldn't expect a patch or the 755 anytime soon.

I wouldn't give ATS a single penny of my money, not only is the 745 grossly overpriced the subscription fee is just not worth it for the content it provides which either basically scenarios or route merges. They guy is a blight on the TSC community.
100%

I have no idea how ATS works as a business really but to me, I don't really understand why such a small commercial business has someone like Alan himself (a brand/marketing person managing the whole thing without contributing any technical skills). Sure, as you scale businesses, such a role is imperative for business growth but, with smaller businesses, its another salary to pay (and, as such, higher DLC price) for what feels like no gain.

Trackman

Established Member
Have you seen that rant video about the 745 and ATS in general? Worth a watch.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Half the problem is the original developer (ATS don't actually make anything because he's a talent less hack, nothing of value anyway) was booted from the project and was subject to a nasty legal dispute, which was fortunately thrown out. As a result it's highly unlikely they or any other developer with the proper skill set is going to be willing to work with ATS in the future, so I wouldn't expect a patch or the 755 anytime soon.

I wouldn't give ATS a single penny of my money, not only is the 745 grossly overpriced the subscription fee is just not worth it for the content it provides which either basically scenarios or route merges. The guy is a blight on the TSC community.

I do agree with this. ATS has slipped considerably in recent years. Chat Moss was good as was the 185 in the main but in the last 2/3 years they’ve really taken a mercenary approach to anyone who dares provide negative feedback on any of their products. The launcher is not fit for purpose.

The most egregious part of it is the blatant bullying of others in the TSC community by those employed by and associated with ATS.

Trackman

Established Member
I have - it sums up the whole situation very well.

I think the problem is that ATS is somewhat of an “echo chamber” - anyone who slightly disagrees with something ATS does is almost immediately ostracised.
Not watching it again, but was he right in saying if you bought the (overpriced) route that the 745 that runs on it, it would cost you £109?.. what's this subscription fee for too?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Not watching it again, but was he right in saying if you bought the (overpriced) route that the 745 that runs on it, it would cost you £109?.. what's this subscription fee for too?

An ATS subscription gives you access to subscription-only content, most notably amongst which are some of their routes - they’ve just released their GEML which for some idiotic reason they call ‘Gemma’. For that you need the base GEML and an ATS sub and the ATS OHLE pack and other stuff, so could quite easily add up.

A sub is just over £30 I think and the 745 is £38 without it, £30 with it.

It’s a daft model that Alan continues to peddle. It’s a real shame as they can clearly produce some quality TSC routes and stock.

Rail Quest

Half the problem is the original developer (ATS don't actually make anything because he's a talentless hack, nothing of value anyway) was booted from the project and was subject to a nasty legal dispute, which was fortunately thrown out.
The most egregious part of it is the blatant bullying of others in the TSC community by those employed by and associated with ATS.
I wasn't personally aware of the details behind this until it was highlighted in MHD's rare TSC appearance that's just been released. My beliefs in ATS as an organisation being a net negative for the Train Sim community are getting ever stronger...

Link to MHD's video:

Purple Train

Established Member
I wasn't personally aware of the details behind this until it was highlighted in MHD's rare TSC appearance that's just been released. My beliefs in ATS as an organisation being a net negative for the Train Sim community are getting ever stronger...

Link to MHD's video:
One word - goodness.

LUYMun

Dovetail Games have released a trailer for a relaunch of Train Simulator Classic, now titled "Train Simulator Classic 2024".

Link to trailer on YouTube:

DTG have also got this to say from their blogpost: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live...ticle/announcing-train-simulator-classic-2024

ANNOUNCING TRAIN SIMULATOR CLASSIC 2024!​

Celebrate 15 years of the ultimate railway hobby with an epic route collection, exclusive Deluxe Edition and a new way to start playing.
Arriving soon for the 15th Anniversary year, Train Simulator Classic 2024 takes you on a journey to five countries across over 450 km of rails. Read on to find out more about the routes included in this year’s refresh, the extras with the Deluxe Edition, and the new Rail Subscription option.

Train Simulator Classic 2024​

To celebrate 15 years of the simulation, this year’s route refresh features five countries with some of our most popular routes together for the first time. Explore the picturesque North Wales Coast Line in the UK. Travel through the Saxony countryside in Germany with Bahnsrecke Riesa – Dresden. Head to the USA capital and ride the bustling Northeast Corridor with NEC Washington DC. Race through breathtaking scenery in France with LGV Marseille - Avignon. And discover the stunning Alpine landscape of Austria with Mittenwaldbahn.

Deluxe Edition​

The Deluxe Edition of Train Simulator Classic 2024 adds three additional locomotives and 15 exclusive new scenarios created for this release. On these new scenarios you will take control of the futuristic looking Pennsylvania Railroad Class GG1 with its striking art deco shell on NEC Washington DC. Travel at high-speed aboard the DB BR 411 'ICE-T' with services on Riesa - Dresden or Mittenwaldbahn. And step on to the footplate of a British steam legend, the LNER Peppercorn Class A2 'Blue Peter' for a rail tour special on North Wales Coast Line.

Rail Subscription​

Get more out of Train Simulator Classic with the optional Rail Subscription. The perfect way to get started with the ultimate railway hobby, this new way to play includes the Train Simulator Classic 2024 base game along with a selection of curated routes and locomotives ready to play. Featuring community favourites and developer picks the add-ons will give you a wide range of experiences covering multiple eras, traction types and services. We’ll be revealing the routes and locos that will be in the Rail Subscription in the coming week, in the meantime read our FAQ to find out more.
Alongside all of this, you can also look forward to a free update to the base game at launch that features performance improvements and fixes from the recent Public Beta. The Beta will remain available up until the launch of Train Simulator Classic 2024.
Read the FAQ to find out more about Train Simulator Classic 2024 and the Rail Subscription.
Look out for more information on Train Simulator Classic 2024 in the coming weeks. You can stay up to date by joining us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
So as it seems, DTG have gone back to their old ways of continually adding the years, with no change to the simulator other than featuring five pre-existing routes (North Wales Coastal, Northeast Corridor, Bahnsrecke Riesa – Dresden, LGV Marseille - Avignon and Mittenwaldbahn) - wow, another two to bag! It's even worse now that a Subscription Model is being introduced to their game, so they seem to have taken lectures from ATS.

From: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live...cles/article/train-simulator-classic-2024-faq

TRAIN SIMULATOR CLASSIC 2024 - FAQ​

TRAIN SIMULATOR CLASSIC 2024: RAIL SUBSCRIPTION​

What is the Rail Subscription?
The Rail Subscription is an optional way to play Train Simulator Classic 2024. With the subscription you get access to the base game along with a selection of curated routes and locomotives for a low monthly price. Available across all supported regions, this is the best way to get started with the ultimate railway hobby.
How much does the Rail Subscription cost?
The Train Simulator Classic 2024: Rail Subscription costs £8.99 a month.
What is included in the Rail Subscription?
The Train Simulator Classic 2024: Rail Subscription includes access to the Train Simulator Classic base game as well as a selection of route and locomotive DLC. A full list of the routes and locomotives will be revealed soon.
Do I need to own or buy Train Simulator Classic to use this?
No. The Rail Subscription includes access to the base game and no separate purchase is required. This also includes the Train Simulator Academy, Train Simulator Editor and Steam Workshop support.
What happens if I already own Train Simulator Classic?
If you already own Train Simulator Classic 2024, or previous versions of Train Simulator, you can still subscribe to the Rail Subscription. The subscription will not change anything you currently own in your Library, but can add to it. This means you can use the Rail Subscription to access routes or locos you do not own.
What happens to my existing DLC?
Any DLC you already own for Train Simulator will remain in your Steam Library with no changes. For example, if you already own a route or loco that is included in the subscription – you can access this as normal, and it will remain in your Steam Library even if your subscription ends.
Where can I manage my Rail Subscription?
To change or cancel your Rail Subscription head to your 'Account Details’ on the Steam Store and then ‘Manage Subscriptions’. From here you can click the ‘Edit’ button next to the Rail Subscription. Should you choose to cancel your subscription, it will remain active through the end of the current billing cycle.
What happens if my subscription ends?
If you decide to end your Rail Subscription you will no longer be able to access any Train Simulator content you did not already own previously.
Will this mean any change to the existing Train Simulator Classic on the Steam Store?
No, the subscription is optional only and does not replace the current store offer. You will always be able to purchase Train Simulator Classic base game, route, and locomotive add-ons separately. This includes those featured in the subscription. All content you own in your Steam Library will remain unchanged.
Will content in the Rail Subscription be refreshed?
We are considering updates to content included in the Rail Subscription to ensure you always have something new to play. Any changes to content included in the subscription will be announced in advance. The Train Simulator Classic 2024 base game will always remain a part of the subscription.

Last edited:

Rail Quest

It's even worse now that a Subscription Model is being introduced to their game, so they seem to have taken lectures from ATS.
Hopeless, isn't it :lol:

On their FAQ for TSC24, they have this:
What is included in the core update?
The update to Train Simulator Classic base game includes the performance improvements, bug fixes, new developer tools and more. Look out for the full patch notes on launch when this is made available for free to all players.
Really hoping these updates are actually meaningful. I swear DTG seemed to be pushing for more TSC updates and I haven't heard a peep out of them since that steam update incident that killed everyone's content... That is the only hope I have for their revert to numbered naming with nothing changing.

Really hoping these updates are actually meaningful. I swear DTG seemed to be pushing for more TSC updates and I haven't heard a peep out of them since that steam update incident that killed everyone's content...
I remember that day, I had to reinstall TSC - I thought it was a technical difficulty on my program and later I found out it was actually DTG’s mistake.

That ended up in DTG having to make an apology in direct response.

Last edited: