• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could London Overground run between Chingford and Walthamstow Central, during the Hackney Downs line closure?

Taunton

Established Member
Moderator note: Split from

One wonders why LO cannot, at least, run between Chingford and Walthamstow Central, for the Underground, or even Clapton, getting trains to/fro via the Coppermill curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BJames

Established Member
One wonders why LO cannot, at least, run between Chingford and Walthamstow Central, for the Underground, or even Clapton, getting trains to/fro via the Coppermill curve.
I was thinking this about Chingford-Walthamstow - seems a shame not to at least have a shuttle of some form for this period.

I notice a line in that release that LO Enfield/Cheshunt services may have different timetables - it's 6tph in the peak (4tph Enfield, 2tph Cheshunt) and I wonder what might change during this and the diversions, or whether it will just be minor adjustments to the timings.

A recent evening peak with GA Seven Sisters diversions seems to have (just) worked with a fullish timetable, but Seven Sisters was rammed - crowds coming up from Victoria line were funnelled out of the tube to the event day Overground entrance round the corner, and northbound LO services were ordered not to call due to the overcrowding. This was only the most recent occasion mind you and there's been other diversions where it has been hectic but nowhere near as busy as that.

TFN

I’m not sure trains could run for 16 days without seeing a depot?

higthomas

I’m not sure trains could run for 16 days without seeing a depot?
Couldn't they get out via a reverse at Clapton? Not a great solution, but just once a day for depot rotation should work?

OliverH68

Couldn't they get out via a reverse at Clapton? Not a great solution, but just once a day for depot rotation should work?
They might use the block to also do some other maintenance whilst the line is shut, good time for large chunks of work to go in and get done.

Class 170101

Established Member
No power most likely but also no pointwork to do said reversal at Clapton Jn

They might use the block to also do some other maintenance whilst the line is shut, good time for large chunks of work to go in and get done.
You would hope so.

Can't see why the Bishops Stortford to Stratford services are suspended, surely these could run alongside the Hertford to Stratford services? There are usually 4 tph via Lea Bridge anyway.
Usually when Cambridge / Stansted services are diverted via Seven Sisters the journey takes longer than running via Tottenham Hale due to following all stations LO services, so probably run out of trains and drivers if you run the Bishops Stortford services too.

DJS76

No power most likely but also no pointwork to do said reversal at Clapton Jn

You would hope so.

Usually when Cambridge / Stansted services are diverted via Seven Sisters the journey takes longer than running via Tottenham Hale due to following all stations LO services, so probably run out of trains and drivers if you run the Bishops Stortford services too.
I still think there must be a better solution than send 2 x Cambridge and 4 x Stansted Express via Seven Sisters. Seven Sisters is a horrible station, narrow staircases and not even sure if there is an escalator down from the platforms to the tube ticket hall. Also think the platforms are only 8 car length and very narrow in places, a few big suitcases is all it will take for it to get very congested.
I guess there is no chance of reducing the Stansted Express to 2tph from Liverpool Street and diverting through Stratford to Tottenham Hale and onwards from there, especially as the closure is at the start of the summer holidays. Also, with the Bishops Stortford to Stratford service being suspended, assume this means that stations between Enfield Lock and Bishops Stortford will have a reduced service, with Roydon and Harlow Mill only seeing 1tph, unless the Cambridge services make extra stops.

BJames

Established Member
I still think there must be a better solution than send 2 x Cambridge and 4 x Stansted Express via Seven Sisters. Seven Sisters is a horrible station, narrow staircases and not even sure if there is an escalator down from the platforms to the tube ticket hall. Also think the platforms are only 8 car length and very narrow in places, a few big suitcases is all it will take for it to get very congested.
No down escalators from National Rail/Overground platforms at Seven Sisters. Up escalator to northbound Platform 2, but no escalators on Platform 1 at all (years ago there was only one very narrow staircase, there are two now including a wider one but as you say quite narrow in places - particularly on the southbound there is quite a pinchpoint on the platform towards the front three coaches which go past the office).

Kite159

Veteran Member
I guess there are no paths available to send the Stansted Connect services nonstop Liverpool Street - Tottenham Hale via Stratford to avoid the overcrowding concerns at Seven Sisters?

In my experience those trains normally empty out southbound and fill up northbound at Tottenham Hale due to the LU connection being a lot faster than staying on to Liverpool Street. Even reduced to 2tph off-peak.

Leisurefirst

No down escalators from National Rail/Overground platforms at Seven Sisters. Up escalator to northbound Platform 2, but no escalators on Platform 1 at all (years ago there was only one very narrow staircase, there are two now including a wider one but as you say quite narrow in places - particularly on the southbound there is quite a pinchpoint on the platform towards the front three coaches which go past the office).
No step-free access to/from the Victoria Line either once at ticket office level.
Stairs before the escalator from Central London, after the escalator towards Central London.

Class15

On Moderation
I guess there are no paths available to send the Stansted Connect services nonstop Liverpool Street - Tottenham Hale via Stratford to avoid the overcrowding concerns at Seven Sisters?

In my experience those trains normally empty out southbound and fill up northbound at Tottenham Hale due to the LU connection being a lot faster than staying on to Liverpool Street. Even reduced to 2tph off-peak.
Weekend closures between Hackney Downs and Bethnal Green have seen all the Stansted services going via Stratford and using the ‘B’ lines to Bow Junction.

Class 170101

Established Member
Too many Freights standing at Stratford Platform 10A waiting path onto the GEML and some of them further stand foul over Stratford Central Junction preventing access between Platforms 11 and 12 and Bow Junction via the Temple Mills Lines.

Weekend closures between Hackney Downs and Bethnal Green have seen all the Stansted services going via Stratford and using the ‘B’ lines to Bow Junction.
Less Freight at the weekend but its still a longer run via Stratford or Seven Sisters than via Clapton.

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member

Current off-peak timetable has 9 sets for Stansted, 7 sets for Cambridge, 4 sets for Hertford, and 6 sets for Stratford (interworking Meridian Water and Bishops Stortford). Total 26

Amended timetable has 10 sets for Stansted, 8 sets for Cambridge, and 4 sets for Stratford-Hertford. Total 22

So they should be able to run Meridian Water-Stratford as well, although Bishops Stortford might be pushing it.