• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

17 year old no ticket

bennorthyork

My son, age 17, travelled from York - Manchester and was caught on arrival without a valid ticket. He’s no doubt told them a load of rubbish about how he had a ticket but lost it. I doubt he had a ticket at all.

It’s the second time he has been stopped with no ticket. The first time he was on the return journey and did have a ticket but had binned it. That was dealt with as a fixed penalty. That was 2 months ago.
My questions:
1. Are they likely to prosecute this time as it’s 2 offences close together?
2. As he is under 18, is it us as parents that would be prosecuted if so?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

methecooldude

How close is he to being 18? There might be, and others might confirm or deny, a situation where the TOC will wait until your son is 18, then lay the papers to prosecute.

If the fixed penalty was paid, that's the end of that matter, so don't worry about that one. However, considering this is the second time, I don't see the railway dealing with it in the same way.

Also, and this is a compliment to yourself, it's refreshing to see a parent post here who is not trying to excuse their offspring's actions

Titfield

Established Member
My thoughts are is that it is more likely the TOC will threaten prosecution (in the letter they will send asking for his comments) but agree to an out of court settlement for the full fare avoided plus an admin fee of C£100 - £200 providing that they are suitably convinced he will not offend again. I think TOCS are less likely to proceed to court when the person involved is under 18 or just 18 unless there is a record of fare evasion etc.

A fixed penalty can not be issued retrospectively that course of action isnt open to the TOC (unless of course your son was issued one at the time and has failed to respond to it).

The advice @Hadders gives in responding to such letters can be found using the search facility top right of the page.

tspaul26

Established Member
2. As he is under 18, is it us as parents that would be prosecuted if so?
You can’t be prosecuted, but in certain circumstances the parents can be ordered to pay any financial penalties imposed on an offender aged under 18.

However, if your son has sufficient ‘pocket money’ (whether from a part time job or otherwise) to make monthly payments on vet a year then it is unlikely that this would be done for a fare evasion case.

A fixed penalty can not be issued retrospectively that course of action isnt open to the TOC (unless of course your son was issued one at the time and has failed to respond to it).
Northern offer the ‘fixed penalty’ as basically an out of court settlement so that is issued retrospectively

I’m sure it’s just wording but it’s a Penalty fare that cannot be issued retrospectively

Titfield

Established Member
Northern offer the ‘fixed penalty’ as basically an out of court settlement so that is issued retrospectively

I’m sure it’s just wording but it’s a Penalty fare that cannot be issued retrospectively

Yes my mistake. I meant a Penalty Fare Notice. I inadvertently used the wording the OP had used without thinking it through carefully.