• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1972 stock replacement date

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I did read in one magazine that bakerloo line needs to have hew stock before 2029 as the 1972 stock as it stands did nor have permission to run beyond that date
Who is giving the permission? Could they just extend that permission having conducted an inspection of the fleet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thirteen

We seen elsewhere what happens when life expired rolling stock is prolonged such as the Class 483s so I think keeping the 1972 stock going until the 2030s is something TfL doesn't want to do,

Mikey C

Established Member
We seen elsewhere what happens when life expired rolling stock is prolonged such as the Class 483s so I think keeping the 1972 stock going until the 2030s is something TfL doesn't want to do,
And there's an enormous difference in importance between a sleepy route trundling across the IoW and a London tube line!

I'm 100% sure that a follow on order will happen, to immediately follow the 2024s on the production line. I imagine the Tories didn't want to provide funds before the Mayoral election and potentially give Sadiq credit, so it's either be done before the general election so that they can get some "levelling up" electoral benefit for the Goole plant, or it'll happen when the next government comes into power.

Thirteen

And there's an enormous difference in importance between a sleepy route trundling across the IoW and a London tube line!

I'm 100% sure that a follow on order will happen, to immediately follow the 2024s on the production line. I imagine the Tories didn't want to provide funds before the Mayoral election and potentially give Sadiq credit, so it's either be done before the general election so that they can get some "levelling up" electoral benefit for the Goole plant, or it'll happen when the next government comes into power.
Probably depends who becomes Mayor.