• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Tube Stock (Siemens Inspiro)

Samzino

Design is basically 5 single cars with 2 bogies (as normal), and 4 shorter bridging sections.
Ah explains in this closeup from Jonas Gaiswinkler
F1ae7bYWcAAbxPf

Photo On Twitter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
What is interesting is that it appears there are car numbers on the bridging sections, is this the first time a non-vehicle has been numbered. It is more of a coupling than a vehicle.

TRAX

Established Member
What is interesting is that it appears there are car numbers on the bridging sections, is this the first time a non-vehicle has been numbered. It is more of a coupling than a vehicle.
Bogie or not, it’s still a vehicle…

James Finch

Looks fantastic, should be an upgrade to both Piccadilly and Bakerloo services! The windows look rather small though - I very much like the windows on the 92 stock (may be a side-grade in that aspect!)

Are the doors equally spaced at X?m inter-door pitch, in a similar way to the 345's at 7.5m? Non-uniform coach size makes it hard to tell (anyone got a dimensional schematic from TfL yet...!?)

Dstock7080

Established Member
Are the doors equally spaced at X?m inter-door pitch, in a similar way to the 345's at 7.5m? Non-uniform coach size makes it hard to tell (anyone got a dimensional schematic from TfL yet...!?)
No, the door centres are not even:
6.7m and 5.1m

Wolfie

Established Member
Looks fantastic, should be an upgrade to both Piccadilly and Bakerloo services! The windows look rather small though - I very much like the windows on the 92 stock (may be a side-grade in that aspect!)

The 92 stock windows are great for passenger viewing at the expense of turning the vehicle into a mobile greenhouse. I imagine that the complex shape isn't cheap either. I seriously doubt that it will ever be replicated again.

TRAX

Established Member
A lot of trams use the same suspended-vehicle principle (the Alstom Citadis for example).

zwk500

Veteran Member
I suppose they behave like a long coupling bar.
I hope whatever connections they use are beefy. I'm sure TfL will have specified a crush loading and have good passenger data to base that load on but all the same peak times regularly load to crush levels.
No, the door centres are not even:
6.7m and 5.1m
Would this preclude PEDs in future as if the train gets turned (e.g. at Heathrow Loop) it wouldn't then match the door spacing? I know there's no intention to retrofit them on the tube lines, but just wondered.

Mzzzs

Interesting to see the effect of the wheel layout would be on the track, especially the sound. Hopefully, it's much better with less bogies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I note it's numbered 48071, and presumably 48072 at the other end, which would make it numerically the 36th train in the fleet - so are they simply building them out of sequence or are they actually starting the numbering at this point? I had been under the impression that it would be 48001/2 upwards for these?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I wonder if these will be known as the I Stock
I suspect they'll get nicknamed the "Insipid" simply from the "Inspiro" name...?

More seriously, unlikely - the use of letters is only ever for sub-surface stock. Tube stock is always identified by the year of planned introduction, so these are likely to be known as 2024 Stock.

Samzino

I suspect they'll get nicknamed the "Insipid" simply from the "Inspiro" name...?

More seriously, unlikely - the use of letters is only ever for sub-surface stock. Tube stock is always identified by the year of planned introduction, so these are likely to be known as 2024 Stock.
Ah that is true

rebmcr

Established Member
Would this preclude PEDs in future as if the train gets turned (e.g. at Heathrow Loop) it wouldn't then match the door spacing? I know there's no intention to retrofit them on the tube lines, but just wondered.
The spacings don't have to be even to allow reversal, just that the pattern is symmetrical/palindromic.

AM9

Veteran Member
The spacings don't have to be even to allow reversal, just that the pattern is symmetrical/palindromic.
If the various configurations have an odd number of cars that would be likely. I seem to remember that the Central line consists will be 11 cars, i.e. 6 bogies and 5 suspended. It will be interesting to see whether they sit better on the curve in the eastbound platform at Bank.

Snow1964

Established Member
If the various configurations have an odd number of cars that would be likely. I seem to remember that the Central line consists will be 11 cars, i.e. 6 bogies and 5 suspended. It will be interesting to see whether they sit better on the curve in the eastbound platform at Bank.
Yes it was confirmed somewhere in TfL Board minutes about 2-3 years ago (not going to search to find them), but the 11car train for Central line would use shortened cars

The Bakerloo version would be identical to Piccadilly (apart from some internal colours), and at moment would be quite easy to divert the Piccadilly growth batch (those for 27tph instead of 24 tph) to Bakerloo if political masters required it.

AM9

Veteran Member
Yes it was confirmed somewhere in TfL Board minutes about 2-3 years ago (not going to search to find them), but the 11car train for Central line would use shortened cars.
Presumably, the shorter central line bogied cars would make squeezing around the tight curves in the 11ft 8in tunnels of the line.

100andthirty

In simple terms, adding two more of the Piccadilly line length cars - a bogie and a bridge car - would make the existing configuration too long for Central line platforms. The configuration is such that adding a single car is not feasible, and further lengthening the cars would not be good for any line, let alone the Central. Hence an 11-car train with shorter cars.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
The 92 stock windows are great for passenger viewing at the expense of turning the vehicle into a mobile greenhouse. I imagine that the complex shape isn't cheap either. I seriously doubt that it will ever be replicated again.
Agreed. Because of the curvature of the windows into the ceiling, you can end up with the sun directly shining on you from above...

The 2024 windows will be narrow as well as shallow, because the aircon ducting will go between them.

A60stock

This looks great, and from a passenger and operational perspective, it is absolutely essential they are in service as early as possible.

However, I am trying to think about the other side of this, in that the 73ts is really on borrowed time now, enjoy them while you can. I cannot believe they are on the verge of half a century, you would not be able to tell, especially looking at the interior! At least the 72ts is here to remain.

MotCO

Established Member
Would this preclude PEDs in future as if the train gets turned (e.g. at Heathrow Loop) it wouldn't then match the door spacing? I know there's no intention to retrofit them on the tube lines, but just wowondered.
I think the main problem would be is that, if PEDs were fitted based on the design of these trains , then all further new stock would also have to fit the same spacing of doors. If the suspended bogies turn out not to work, and fully bogied trains have to be used, it would be an expensive exercise to respace all the PED doors.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The bogied cars look very long - I'm surprised the overhang wouldn't belt the platform at Bank.

aaronspence

Why would it matter what direction the train is in as long as the pattern is the same? Which it is no?

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes, slightly surprised that the bogied cars aren't a bit shorter as well. That would reduce some of the gaps on the bendy platforms at the front and back.