• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

6th April 74 - Excursions at Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

On Sat 6th April 1974 I travelled on a 'Merrymaker' excursion from West Yorkshire to Bristol, Weston and Exeter. I got off at Bristol Temple Meads where I took this picture of a Gresley Buffet which was part of another 'special' (from South Yorkshire, I think).
I am trying to find out more information about this excursion - for instance was it a 'Merrymaker' type train, or was it a private charter? Where did it start and where was it going? What locomotive hauled it? What is the number of the Gresley Buffet?

06Apr74. Merrymaker trip. Bristol Temple Meads. Gresley buffet. [Slide_0549]
by Ray, on Flickr

After visiting Bath Road depot and the Marsh Jct scrap line I caught a service train to Exeter and spent a couple of hours there. I have this picture of a 'Peak' at Exeter St Davids, and wonder whether this was the motive power for the Halifax excursion. I lost the relevant notebook during a house move a long time ago, but did retain my photo index.

06Apr74. Merrymaker trip. Exeter St Davids. 'Peak' Class 45 D78. [Slide_0559]
by Ray, on Flickr

Do you know anything about either train? Were you a passenger on one of them? Any information would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.