• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

17 days is the total for the year. If you have to use three days for spring week, six days for summer fortnight and four days for winter week you would have four days left for ad hoc leave. Plus lieu days for bank holidays.
Thanks mate. I worked that out after my initial post. I currently get 33 days AL on a 5 on 3 off rota, so 5 days gets me 11 days off, which is very nice. I also get to use them all whenever I want (cover pending of course) but we have a spreadsheet to check against who is off and that way we can see if we will be granted or not before even asking. Going back to block weeks does put me off slightly, but I do really want this job! So it will not deter me. You get good days off due to the 12hr shifts, so that makes up for it I guess.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Puddock

Thanks mate. I worked that out after my initial post. I currently get 33 days AL on a 5 on 3 off rota, so 5 days gets me 11 days off, which is very nice. I also get to use them all whenever I want (cover pending of course) but we have a spreadsheet to check against who is off and that way we can see if we will be granted or not before even asking. Going back to block weeks does put me off slightly, but I do really want this job! So it will not deter me. You get good days off due to the 12hr shifts, so that makes up for it I guess.
Yes, the annual leave allowance isn't particularly generous but at least most 12 hour rosters are built with a long weekend (6 or 7 rest days in a row) every few weeks, so you can have a trip away without using any leave. Working three days a week is like having a part time job anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the annual leave allowance isn't particularly generous but at least most 12 hour rosters are built with a long weekend (6 or 7 rest days in a row) every few weeks, so you can have a trip away without using any leave. Working three days a week is like having a part time job anyway.

Hello.
Yeah looking at it, the AL isn’t the best, but as you said you can book time away when off for those 6/7 day stretches. I have seen a copy of the rota for the location I have applied to, and minus one week where you work 4 on 1 off then on 3/4 again, the rest looks really good. You also go into 7 days off in a row after that bit of the rota, so makes up for it. Like you stated, you could easily book time away over those 7 RD stretches.

emtm21

I gathered the block weeks would maybe use less AL days, so thanks for clearing that part up. I was curious in case they had some other formula of working it out. So using a lot less days for block weeks leaves more AL to take yourself (of course if it is granted when you bid for it) or have I read that wrong? Just to confirm, is the 17 days what you usually have left after your block weeks are in, or is that total pro rata AL for the year? Seems low if it’s the latter. Although I guess if a week off is only 3 or 4 days AL, then you still have around 4/5 weeks a year I guess.

Thanks.

**Edit** I already know the answer to my own question now, after reading that again!
I know it varies but I’m on a 12 hour roster and last year between annual leave, comp leave for bank holidays and the 8 days in each month I have off in one block, I had 20 full weeks off (plus the 2 or 3 rest days each week) Sometimes feels like a part time job!

I know it varies but I’m on a 12 hour roster and last year between annual leave, comp leave for bank holidays and the 8 days in each month I have off in one block, I had 20 full weeks off (plus the 2 or 3 rest days each week) Sometimes feels like a part time job!
That is refreshing to hear as the AL part did make me think, considering what I would be leaving. Although I do really want this job, so it wouldn’t have been a factor anyway. I guess until you are actually following a roster properly, it is difficult to get an understanding of how it will actually be in real life. I have looked over and over the copy I received, trying to work out how good it would be to actually work, but it’s difficult to fully grasp unless you are actually following the rota yourself.

Scot09

Yeah mate take the hotel. And take the opportunity to study as a group as well. Dunno how to pm on this but if there’s a way and you want to message then feel free
Thank. Don’t think you can pm on this. Is that you finished the classroom training now?

Signal_Box

Ahh yes the good old accommodations, I'm sure as in the traincrew world there will be a few select offenders who maximise and bend the terms of contract as much as possible.

My personal favourite must be, I have young kids so I need to be accommodated to early turn only!

Does nobody else have kids then?

Hmmmmmm, funny how the majority suck it up and crack on isn’t it.

Buiadh

That depends on your LOM, although it's a brave manager who would order a load of uniform for you before you've passed the course...
What does the uniform actually consist of? I've been in a few boxes and the signallers just seem to wear their own clothes.

muz379

Established Member
What does the uniform actually consist of? I've been in a few boxes and the signallers just seem to wear their own clothes.
Theres a range of different uniform available with the typical items , Trousers , Polo's , T Shirts , Fleeces , Jumpers .

Ive not known anyone order the trousers . Some people wear Polos/T Shirts or Jumpers and fleeces.

But also a lot of own clothes . The wearing of uniform is not enforced .

NRnoob

Hi guys,

I've got my medical coming up soonish and was just wondering, besides from the obvious of drugs and alcohol, what are the main reasons one could fail the medical?

For some strange reason, I'm worried about the blood pressure part to the medical.

I bought one of those home BP monitors, and I'm hitting 143 over 83 which seems high in my opinion. I've done a few other tests, but they seem to vary. Don't know if I'm getting myself worked up here over nothing which would of course peak your BP lol.

I've even decided to cut out caffeine for the next two weeks on the lead up to my medical. I'm generally active, go to the gym etc.

Any advice?

Gosh, sounding proper neurotic! Hahah

Lpf93

Hi guys,

I've got my medical coming up soonish and was just wondering, besides from the obvious of drugs and alcohol, what are the main reasons one could fail the medical?

For some strange reason, I'm worried about the blood pressure part to the medical.

I bought one of those home BP monitors, and I'm hitting 143 over 83 which seems high in my opinion. I've done a few other tests, but they seem to vary. Don't know if I'm getting myself worked up here over nothing which would of course peak your BP lol.

I've even decided to cut out caffeine for the next two weeks on the lead up to my medical. I'm generally active, go to the gym etc.

Any advice?

Wouldn’t worry too much around the medical unless you fail the drug and alcohol. I believe it’s essentially a check up so that then you can get medication if needed for blood pressure for example/put reasonable adjustments in place

Ducatist4

143/83 at taken at home when you are nice and relaxed would be cause for concern. They might flag it up that you should see your GP and get it under control before they continue the recruitment process. I doubt they would bin you off at this stage though (unless it can't be controlled).

DMckduck97

Hi guys,

Any advice?

With the medical the best advice I can give is only worry prior about the things which are fully in your control, so the obvious drugs and alcohol and leave the rest for the medical.

I'm sure you will be fine and ace it!

Brett55

Ystalyfera, Neath Port Talbot Principle Area
Hi guys,

Any advice?

Hey,

I had my medical a couple of months ago. You'll have a BP, hearing and eye test, a mobility test and a urine test. They will ask you about your family, medical and work history.

Jordan4321

Thanks for the info guys.

Took another reading today, was down significantly and in normal mode. Think I was just stressed lol
Most likely, mine was the same on the day of the medical, they will run it a few times and if it’s still High wait until the end and re do it

Kraken

Mate I got myself so worked up about blood pressure before my medical I got my wife to stop putting salt in food 2 weeks before, I stopped all alcohol and caffeine, I just went really over the top about anything blood pressure related. When I finally went into the medical he told me that if my BP had been much lower he would have had to consider whether I was suitable for the job or not! So don’t go overboard - I’m sure it will be fine.

NRnoob

Mate I got myself so worked up about blood pressure before my medical I got my wife to stop putting salt in food 2 weeks before, I stopped all alcohol and caffeine, I just went really over the top about anything blood pressure related. When I finally went into the medical he told me that if my BP had been much lower he would have had to consider whether I was suitable for the job or not! So don’t go overboard - I’m sure it will be fine.
Hahah, yeah, I'm currently going through that same phase of no caffeine. Ridiculous really, the lengths we go to convincing ourselves that one extreme will benefit us in some way!

muz379

Established Member
Any tips for week 5 ist exam?
Dont rush to hand your paper in if you finish before the time is up , if you get chance go back through and double check your answers . You don't get any extra marks for finishing early , but you might be able to get yourself a few extra by double checking .

The big lists like reasons for passing signals at danger, arrangements for line blocks etc are worth a chunk of marks so make sure you are able to rattle those off comfortably .

In terms of revision techniques , that really is subjective . I found sitting round with classmates asking each other questions helped , but some in my class found sitting in their rooms writing out the lists and definitons helped them more .

MylesHSG

Just to go back to the leave stuff. Do you get the extra 2 days on your anniversary of employment or is it in the next calender year? Mine is coming up...