• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A quick Question - Young Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I often travel with my nephew. He is not yet 5 BUT he is a big lad! He looks and acts about 7. He is very precocious, has really good langauge skills and is not what you expect from a 4 yeard old!

How can i prove his age? He doesnt have a passport and as a gaurd pulled me up on it the other day i was wondering. He let me go on but i could tell he wasnt sure.

Am i right in thinking children over 5 pay a half fare?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, children aged 5-15 pay half fare. But, if you get a family railcard then the cost of a child ticket is less than the discount on the adult ticket (unless it's a very short journey and the minimum child fare kicks in). Otherwise perhaps carry a copy of his birth certificate.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
i did not know that - does the adult stil lget a discount?

Not on their own, but with a child, yes. That's why it's beneficial to pay for an under 5 if they are the only child in the group. The group can be up to 4 adults with up to 4 children but must include one of each.

Edit: This is why it's now called family and friends - to highlight that you don't have to be related to use the card.

FGWman

I often travel with my nephew. He is not yet 5 BUT he is a big lad! He looks and acts about 7. He is very precocious, has really good langauge skills and is not what you expect from a 4 yeard old!

How can i prove his age? He doesnt have a passport and as a gaurd pulled me up on it the other day i was wondering. He let me go on but i could tell he wasnt sure.

Am i right in thinking children over 5 pay a half fare?

Do you have a railcard of your own. If not it will be cheaper to get a family railcard and buy a ticket for your nephew. That way you get a third off your ticket so it works out cheaper and you wont have a problem about anyone asking how old you nephew is.

First class

Established Member
Anyway, I would take an Unpaid Fare Notice. It would:

a) Have to be in the kids name, as his supposed debt
b) Wouldn't worry about the TOC immediately quashing it! Copy of Birth Certificate or strongly worded letter would suffice.

If the under 5 had his own seat, then that is a different matter, as "free" travel on applies to under 5s sat on knees :) Child fare payable.

Flamingo

Established Member
Usually, I find that asking the child their age works. I've had indignant children interrupt their mothers saying "He's four" to say "No I'm not, I'm six!"

Scooby

& if you do go down the F&F route (which I'd thoughly recommend), it also means that you'd both get a reserved seat (if required and you ask for one)

blakey1152

This reminds me of a bizarre issue I had when trying out the SE High Speed (preview service) for the first time.

Thought I'd take the other half and my daughter from St.Pancras to Ashford International.

Had a Network railcard at the time and went and asked for 2 adult returns to Ashford at St.Pancras and left there with 6 tickets which I thought was a bit odd and I thought at first that maybe the additional two tickets where a high speed supplement or something.
When I took a closer look at the tickets I realised they were marked up CHNSE so the ticket clerk had very kindly sold me a child ticket for my 9 MONTH old daughter. I was in two minds at this point, did I need a ticket for my daughter on the High-Speed service or was I for some reason sold a Child NSE ticket which I didn't need.

Back to the same ticket clerk to find out what was going on.
and was told that I needed a child ticket for children over 5 years old and in his opinion my 9 month old daughter asleep in a baby buggy was over 5 years old!!!

After a lot of arguing ended up having the get the original set of tickets refunded and a new set printed out. apparently they can't just refund the two mis-sold tickets they have to re-do the whole transaction.

Pure insanity...good job I got to St.Pancras early that day as it took over half an hour to get this ticket fiasco sorted!!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.