• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdare to Ebbw Vale via Newport

Pat Figg

An Anytime Day Return from Aberdare to Ebbw Vale Town is £8.30. An Anytime Day Return from Aberdare to Newport is £13.30. From Monday 29th January, when the Ebbw Vale to Newport service (finally) starts, the TfW website allows me to buy, giving me times and routes, an Anytime Day Return from Aberdare to Ebbw Vale Town for the usual £8.30 even if I put in 'via Newport' as an option. Does this mean that if I wanted to go to Newport I could just buy a cheaper ticket to Ebbw Vale and cut short my journey at Newport? If that's the case, could I do that everyday, buying a weekly season ticket between Aberdare and Ebbw Vale for £29.10 rather than paying £56.60 for a weekly ticket between Aberdare and Newport? It's a fair old saving. Something tells me the ticket barriers/gateline staff might not like/accept it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interesting. Could only get Anytime Day Return itineraries from Aberdare to/from Ebbw Vale Town with TfW at the £8.30 fare with the one change, but at Cardiff Central.

Pat Figg

When I do an initial search I just get offered itineraries that change once, at Cardiff Central, except for the last 2 journeys back from Ebbw (20:05 & 21:11) which both go via Newport anyway. However, if I go to 'Edit search' and then 'More search options' I can put in 'via Newport'. It then shows me services that involve changing first in Cardiff on to another TfW service to Newport (presumably going up the Marches line or to Cheltenham - I haven't checked) and then changing again at Newport to catch the service to Ebbw. Still with the £8.30 fare.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So, the question seems to be, can you routinely break journey at Newport on an Aberdare to Ebbw Vale Town ticket, and, if so, do you have to be travelling on the handful of Ebbw Vale Town to Cardiff Central services (or vice-versa) that call in the evening at Newport (before then reversing and continuing)?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is currently valid:

Mileage 53.53 (Shortest possible 51.11)
Permitted: Within 3 miles of shortest route.

However now that it has been publicised, I would expect a "negative easement" to be introduced imminently, which would prevent this route being offered.

A more pragmatic solution, would be for the existing fare to be re-routed "Not via Newport" and for a more expensive "Any Permitted" fare to be introduced at a price of £13.30 (or perhaps a few pence more).

The rail industry doesn't often make pragmatic choices, so I would be pleasantly surprised if they actually did the latter; the former seems more likely in my opinion.

Either way, there is no way that such a loophole will remain in place for long, once it has been published for pricing managers (and other relevant people) to read all about it!

So you can say goodbye to this routeing shortly.

However if you buy a Season ticket (or indeed any ticket) then the validity will remain in place for the duration of the ticket

.Now may be a good time to get an Annual Season!

Last edited:

bcarmicle

I thought easements couldn't restrict routes under the shortest route rule? Or does that only apply to the actual shortest route rather than the within-3-mile routes?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought easements couldn't restrict routes under the shortest route rule?
Correct but this is not the shortest route
Or does that only apply to the actual shortest route rather than the within-3-mile routes?
Correct.

It also doesn't apply to routes that are shorter than the shortest route by rail.

For example, for Park Street to Bedford, the shortest route by rail is via Watford Jn; going via St Albans is shorter than the shortest route by rail, as it involves a walking transfer.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
An Anytime Day Return from Aberdare to Ebbw Vale Town is £8.30. An Anytime Day Return from Aberdare to Newport is £13.30. From Monday 29th January, when the Ebbw Vale to Newport service (finally) starts, the TfW website allows me to buy, giving me times and routes, an Anytime Day Return from Aberdare to Ebbw Vale Town for the usual £8.30 even if I put in 'via Newport' as an option. Does this mean that if I wanted to go to Newport I could just buy a cheaper ticket to Ebbw Vale and cut short my journey at Newport? If that's the case, could I do that everyday, buying a weekly season ticket between Aberdare and Ebbw Vale for £29.10 rather than paying £56.60 for a weekly ticket between Aberdare and Newport? It's a fair old saving. Something tells me the ticket barriers/gateline staff might not like/accept it.
The problem is that now you've put it here you are likely to find it changed not in your favour.

I thought easements couldn't restrict routes under the shortest route rule? Or does that only apply to the actual shortest route rather than the within-3-mile routes?
The price of the ticket could just be increased or the route on it changed.

So, the question seems to be, can you routinely break journey at Newport on an Aberdare to Ebbw Vale Town ticket, and, if so, do you have to be travelling on the handful of Ebbw Vale Town to Cardiff Central services (or vice-versa) that call in the evening at Newport (before then reversing and continuing)?
Yes and no respectively. Although if you did use it in that way it appears there'd be no saving over the straight Ebbw Vale Town to Newport ticket on route Not via Cardiff.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The classic example is

It was changed within such a short time; the original poster @TUC never got to make any use of it!

However @strowger acted very quickly and purchased an annual season ticket, so at least one person got to benefit.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Would a “not via Newport” ticket be valid on the evening trains which call there?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would a “not via Newport” ticket be valid on the evening trains which call there?
Not by default, however, it could be allowed by a train-based easement.

(Ideally the train planning team would liaise with the pricing team; if the trains get a new retail service ID then it would break the easement, unless the easement was updated accordingly)

rubin

same for Cardiff - Ebbw Vale especially calling at Newport on Sunday, cheaper if you buy a Cardiff - Ebbw Vale ticket (£5.40 single) than Cardiff -Newport ticket (£6.20single).

Interestingly the return fare for Cardiff - Ebbw Vale is £8.70 while Cardiff - Newport is only £5.60 (cheaper than single)