• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice following unsuccessful applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan777

Hi ,

Ive been reading thought this forum and have been finding the information really useful .

I have finally figured out that a train driver is the career i would really like to get into . I recently applied for the trainee roles thought first great western . I didn't get though at Paddington and oxford but got a telephone interview for reading . Unfortunately i didn't get any further than that , but the email said they would like to here from me again .

Im not going to giving up but was wondered if there was anything i can do to improve and give myself a better chance next time a role becomes available ?

Im from a warehousing background , would it be an idea to try and get a job in a train environment ? Any advice would be really appreciated :) thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stuart-h

Im in the same position as you Alan. Tryed for the trainee driver role but didnt make the cut. Im now working as a leighbor instead on trackside work instead. I went for my pts course.

Alan777

that will surely be a postive on your next application and you will have experience working in the industry . Are you going to apply again ? Did you get to the telephone interview this time round ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't really like my job at the moment and just need a change , a proper career . I like the fact that you can learn on the job and would have something at the end of it you can use for the rest of your life . I would enjoy the responsibility and i think it would be pretty cool job .

Last edited:

t_star2001uk

I asked you that question because train driving isn't for everybody. Yes there is responsibility and yes it can be a pretty cool job playing with a 3000hp locomotive and yes you can earn some very good money. But the shifts (Early start and late finishes) can take its toll, and the long periods of time that you can spend in what is no better that isolation. If you can handle that then go for it. I myself love the job, i joined in 1988 as a temporary job and never left. I was once told by an old driver when i first started the "the railway is easy to get into but if you stay for 2 years you will be here for life". If you do get in there is a very good support network both within the TOC you choose and on forums like this one. Good luck and keep us all posted.....

Last edited:

Alan777

Thanks for the advice :) . I feel that i would be able to cope and the positives will out weigh the negatives . I will keep you posted , just searching for another trainee role .

Im 27 at the moment is there an age they look for ? Do they get trainees in at any age ?

t_star2001uk

The minimum is 21 as far as I know.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As for the trainee roles, justkeep your eyes peeled, either on the TOCs websites or on here.

Established Member
The phrases you'll find that crop up are 'transferable skills' and 'life experience'. Just about every application form I have filled in has these on, and they don't have to come from a railway-related role.

Alan777

Thanks :) . The question i think i went wrong on in my phone interview was why have you applied to work for first ? I gave my answer but dont think it was what they where looking for or good enough .

Im going to work on the questions i had and the ones you have recommended , hopefully there is a next interview i can do better in .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.