• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anybody knowledgeable on transport history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

o_NXWM_o

Looking to find some background on these badges. I know they were worn by bus drivers on thier lapels, would be nice to know a bit more about them. From which years were they worn? When did they stop?

Attachments

• tmp_18960-FB_IMG_1464283514549-915050363.jpg
    tmp_18960-FB_IMG_1464283514549-915050363.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 56
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Looking to find some background on these badges. I know they were worn by bus drivers on thier lapels, would be nice to know a bit more about them. From which years were they worn? When did they stop?

Can't help entirely but they don't look official (more the type you'd get at a bus rally).

The era of buses represented are a West Midlands MCW Metrobus (1978-86) and a Dennis Dart/Wright Handybus (1995-8)

AM9

Veteran Member
Can't help entirely but they don't look official (more the type you'd get at a bus rally).

The era of buses represented are a West Midlands MCW Metrobus (1978-86) and a Dennis Dart/Wright Handybus (1995-8)

They look similar to the enamel brooches that BR staff would often wear and I seem to remember that some (LT) bus drivers also wore. Many of those brooches were steam locos available in enthusiasts outlets so I imagine that they were personal possesions. It may be that the bus types were from similar ranges.
I would not be surprised if the commercial railway (and possibly commercial bus operators) are more interested in protecting the corporate visual impact that they wish their staff uniforms to project, so they may be discouraged.

CatfordCat

that sort of badge has been around since at least the 1970s and as far as I know are still made. R E V Gomm, Birmingham are a major maker of this sort of badge, and used to advertise regularly in 'Buses' magazine.

They are produced independently of bus operators or any form of authority.

They have always been aimed at enthusiasts (although some bus operating staff are enthusiastic enough to wear them - bus operators' attitudes towards staff wearing 'non official' badges on their uniforms can vary, as AM9 has said.)

PeterC

Established Member
The railway badges were sold at Romford station to raise money for a railway charity in the early 60s. Being a rather modern minded 12 year old I bought one of an tube train rather than a steam engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.