• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva North East

northern506

Just making a new thread for Arriva North East, as noticed the old Arriva thread is now closed.

There are some changes coming on the 28th January, which are registered on Vosa. Most appear to be insignificant, but one thing that is very interesting is a new 777 service between Morpeth, Newcastle Airport and Kingston Park.

I do question if this service can be successful, but I’m still not sure on the exact route it will take, or the frequency.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Just making a new thread for Arriva North East, as noticed the old Arriva thread is now closed.

There are some changes coming on the 28th January, which are registered on Vosa. Most appear to be insignificant, but one thing that is very interesting is a new 777 service between Morpeth, Newcastle Airport and Kingston Park.

I do question if this service can be successful, but I’m still not sure on the exact route it will take, or the frequency.
Getting rural bus challenge vibes about some of the spending under BSIP (Bus Service Improvement Plan). Local authorities etc spending money on "stuff". Another one to the Airport to join the old 101 and 42?

Bristol LHS

Getting rural bus challenge vibes about some of the spending under BSIP (Bus Service Improvement Plan). Local authorities etc spending money on "stuff". Another one to the Airport to join the old 101 and 42?

Seems an odd choice. Morpeth itself enjoys easy interchange to Metro at Regent Centre (you can be in the airport in an hour changing off the X18) and whatever route it takes, there’s not much for the 777 to serve en route. The section from Airport to Kingston Park is especially odd - just paralleling the Metro?

northern506

Seems an odd choice. Morpeth itself enjoys easy interchange to Metro at Regent Centre (you can be in the airport in an hour changing off the X18) and whatever route it takes, there’s not much for the 777 to serve en route. The section from Airport to Kingston Park is especially odd - just paralleling the Metro?

Agreed, I am trying to work out what route it will take but can't really work out which one would be most logical.

I suppose it could go via Kirkley Hall and Ponteland, but I would assume very little passenger traffic if it did. It could also go via Cramlington, but then would be duplicating the 43 (which has recently been increased in frequency), and again Cramlington has quick links to Regent Centre for onward connections.

Details of the changes from 28th January confirmed - https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/latest-news/changes-in-northumberland-and-tyne-and-wear-jan-24

Positive changes with increased evening/Sunday services on the 1, 57/57A and X18.

The 777 is an interesting one, operating via Ponteland and Kirkley Hall. Can't see there being much demand there, but could be wrong.

Last edited:

northern506

Oh dear, another North East bus strike incoming, this time affecting Arriva Northumbria:

Source

Unite members at Arriva Northumbria, a bus company in the north east of England, are to take weeks of strike action this spring in protest over their pay and conditions, it was announced today (Friday 22 March).

Over 300 drivers and engineers voted overwhelmingly for strike action following the refusal of Arriva to improve a pay offer of just 4 per cent. Strikes begin for one week on 7 April and a further week starting on 21 April.