• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Crewe depot

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
I think it'd be a bit crazy to suggest closing down all those depots for the purpose of allocating all the work to Crewe because what benefit would it be bring? I think Crewe works fine being to the North Wales services what Preston is to Scotland services, that being a rough midway point where services can also terminate at, along with the added benefit of being able to supplement a few Manchester and Liverpool services. No way should it become a giant super depot though in my opinion.

That’s just not possible stopping at Crewe adds 6 minutes meaning it loses its path towards London and arrives later
In a very hypothetical world where BR Crewe had kept it's InterCity work on privatisation (of a huge depot of over 100, all but 18 went to various freight companies, with the remainder going to Wales & West), I'm sure the timetable would have designed around it.

However, this isn't what is being proposed. The rumours were they were looking for only 20 drivers, and no TMs or catering staff, making it one of if not the smallest traincrew depots within Avanti.

Established Member
Most "nonstop" trains passing Crewe on the fast line lose several minutes anyway, generally spending about three minutes at the signals before.

Almost everything should stop at Crewe, it's a primary interchange for long distance trains, unlike many other stations that demand everything stops. Crewe signalling & track needs a cohesive plan, now that HS2 is out, the signalling should be ripped out and the whole lot re-done.

I still think Preston has a function but there is certainly a need for depot at Crewe.

Starmill

Veteran Member
They would have to keep catering / train manager roles at Manchester, Liverpool, Preston and Wolverhampton as there are so many passenger services that start there early mornings and finish there late evenings. If you've already got the facilities and you've got to keep them at least partially open anyway...

Carlisle

Established Member
In a very hypothetical world where BR Crewe had kept it's InterCity work on privatisation (of a huge depot of over 100, all but 18 went to various freight companies, with the remainder going to Wales & West), I'm sure the timetable would have designed around it.
I’m not sure it would considering other depots like Carlisle also lost all their I.C work in the run up to privatisation & Preston’s more or less half way between London & the Scottish termini whereas Crewe isn’t & Avanti struggles as it is during disruption serving the northern WCML

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I think it's fair to say that if Crewe depot still happens it probably won't be a super depot since there isn't really a need for one. It'd be great supplementary depot but unlike the Holyhead depot I feel like Avanti could probably manage without it. Maybe not without a few short term problems though, but I'm not expert on the inner workings of traincrew planning.

craigybagel

Established Member
I’m not sure it would considering other depots like Carlisle also lost all their I.C work in the run up to privatisation & Preston’s more or less half way between London & the Scottish termini whereas Crewe isn’t & Avanti struggles as it is during disruption serving the northern WCML
I'm just saying IF the IC work had remained at Crewe the timetable would likely have taken that into account.
I think it's fair to say that if Crewe depot still happens it probably won't be a super depot since there isn't really a need for one. It'd be great supplementary depot but unlike the Holyhead depot I feel like Avanti could probably manage without it. Maybe not without a few short term problems though, but I'm not expert on the inner workings of traincrew planning.
Clearly the need for it isn't that pressing, as they've coped for nearly 30 years without one. But they must have identified some advantages from a new depot, otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the expense of building it. The infrastructure is all there, they just need some traincrew to inhabit it.

Efini92

Established Member
That’s just not possible stopping at Crewe adds 6 minutes meaning it loses its path towards London and arrives later
It ends up being early around Crewe and Stafford anyway. The stop would probably make it a better run.
However, this isn't what is being proposed. The rumours were they were looking for only 20 drivers, and no TMs or catering staff, making it one of if not the smallest traincrew depots within Avanti.
40 is the number that’s banded about. Avanti have confirmed there will be TM’s there.

Toby268

It ends up being early around Crewe and Stafford anyway. The stop would probably make it a better run.

40 is the number that’s banded about. Avanti have confirmed there will be TM’s there.
Quite some time ago when they didn’t think the driver depot was happening and so the depot wouldn’t be dormant, they confirmed TMs would be there. But that doesn’t seem to be the case now.

Efini92

Established Member
Quite some time ago when they didn’t think the driver depot was happening and so the depot wouldn’t be dormant, they confirmed TMs would be there. But that doesn’t seem to be the case now.
Oh really? I haven’t seen anything official to say it’s not happening. I’ve heard that many different things about Crewe depot, I think I’ll just believe if when/if it opens.

irish_rail

On Moderation
It is very much First group style to open as many small depots as possible. You only have to look at GWR where new depots have been opened at Bristol Parkway, Swindon and Cardiff. Arguably some / all are surplus to requirements and causing more trouble than they are worth in terms of giving the right depots the right route retention. I get the impression that things have moved on a little and the 'depot in every town' ship may have sailed for the time being as it does seem to have proven fairly expensive and inefficient (though that's not to say there aren't some positives of the new depots). So, I get the impression that either First group may have second thoughts on it, or under nationalisation the need for a west coast depot there may wain. LMR drivers based there may learn 80x or 390s and negate the need for another mini depot. Time will tell.....

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

Having walked the depot, it is currently set up as only for drivers.