• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Delay Repay Approved But Payment send to Wrong Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrapynot

I submitted two claims and requested payment to by credit card. The claims showed that my compensation method was credit card and listed the last 4 and expiry of my desired cards.

Once the claims were approved, payment was sent by check. I live in the United States and have no way to deposit a UK cheque. What can I do?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I submitted two claims and requested payment to by credit card. The claims showed that my compensation method was credit card and listed the last 4 and expiry of my desired cards.

Once the claims were approved, payment was sent by check. I live in the United States and have no way to deposit a UK cheque. What can I do?
Phone them up and tell them. They’ll stop the cheque and should reissue the payment as you originally asked form

rrapynot

Phone them up and tell them. They’ll stop the cheque and should reissue the payment as you originally asked form
I got them on the phone which was difficult since my USA based phone provider did not want to dial an 0345 number. I had to use Google Voice instead. They said that they are unable to refund non-UK credit cards. I asked 1. How are they able to accept payment from non-UK credit cards, and 2. Why don’t they state that on the page where you enter credit card details?

I asked when I should expect the cheques since they emailed me on Feb 7th to say the cheques are on their way but as of the 24th they hadn’t arrived. Post from the UK to USA usually takes around 3 days. They told me they can’t do anything until 28 days have passed.

Not impressed with these clowns.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I got them on the phone which was difficult since my USA based phone provider did not want to dial an 0345 number. I had to use Google Voice instead. They said that they are unable to refund non-UK credit cards. I asked 1. How are they able to accept payment from non-UK credit cards, and 2. Why don’t they state that on the page where you enter credit card details?

I asked when I should expect the cheques since they emailed me on Feb 7th to say the cheques are on their way but as of the 24th they hadn’t arrived. Post from the UK to USA usually takes around 3 days. They told me they can’t do anything until 28 days have passed.

Not impressed with these clowns.
Sorry to hear all this - what a faff. ref the post - I have a relative dealing with a US bank at the moment by post over an account he has with them - post for that taking a bit more than 3 days.

But if you get a cheque issued in sterling will you still be able to bank it in US and if so will the bank levy charges to you that will wipe out the payment or much of it?

Sorry - not sure what to suggest to actually help with this.

How much money is at stake?

rrapynot

Sorry to hear all this - what a faff. ref the post - I have a relative dealing with a US bank at the moment by post over an account he has with them - post for that taking a bit more than 3 days.

But if you get a cheque issued in sterling will you still be able to bank it in US and if so will the bank levy charges to you that will wipe out the payment or much of it?

Sorry - not sure what to suggest to actually help with this.
I‘ll probably sign them over to a relative in the UK and let them have the money.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I‘ll probably sign them over to a relative in the UK and let them have the money.
At least that will mean the railway company have to pay what they owe. I would be on to them as soon as the 28 days elapse as not unheard of that they have actually failed to send them if expected to send aborad - or just out standard UK post on them or some such incompetent error.

Would save them money to actually ensure they could refund a non UK credit card !

island

Veteran Member
Most cheques issued in the UK nowadays are endorsed "A/C payee only" rendering them ineligible to be "signed over" to someone else.

sheff1

Established Member
They said that they are unable to refund non-UK credit cards.
On what basis do they say they are unable to refund to non-UK cards ?

When I was delayed in Sweden last year SJ refunded to my UK card within a few days, so it can certainly be done in that direction.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You should be able to deposit them in your US bank account. Your bank will likely levy fees, and the cheque will take a few weeks to clear

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
On what basis do they say they are unable to refund to non-UK cards ?

When I was delayed in Sweden last year SJ refunded to my UK card within a few days, so it can certainly be done in that direction.
Was that a refund of a ticket you bought with them, or an ex-gratia payment direct to your credit card? I would imagine the two mechanisms might differ.

island

Veteran Member
Was that a refund of a ticket you bought with them, or an ex-gratia payment direct to your credit card? I would imagine the two mechanisms might differ.
Indeed they do. A credit payout to a card without an equal or greater debit from the same merchant, referred to as an Original Credit Transaction, is subject to a different set of rules.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You should be able to deposit them in your US bank account. Your bank will likely levy fees, and the cheque will take a few weeks to clear
You can indeed deposit foreign cheques. However as you say the fees can be high and may wipe out much of the value of the cheque. It does seem this is the OP's only option here.

sheff1

Established Member
It was compensation ~£90 (50%) for a delay. (used the term 'refund' to tie in with what Avanti told the OP, who was actually due compensation)
Ticket had been bought on the SJ app using the same card.

rs101

I've never heard of Delay Repay being put on a card. The only options I've heard of are bank transfer, cheque or rail travel voucher.
Greater Anglia can also pay it via PayPal, credit/debit card, Amazon or Argos vouchers. Can even be donated to the Samaritans. https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/media/9656/download?inline

My last trip to Heathrow was badly affected - 40 minute delay up to Liverpool Street (on a 1 hour journey), then no trains out of Paddington because of overhead line issues. Ended up having to go to Earl's Court and get the Piccadilly . Added about 2.5 hours to the journey.

Was flying to the US, so had decided to go the night before and stay in a hotel near the airport. The Paddington chaos meant I ended up eating at the pub there, which is better food than the hotel restaurant (overpriced and very average quality).

This was a business trip, so the company had paid for the train ticket, but I got to keep the delay repay :D . GA paid out the full return ticket value, so I was happy..

Snow1964

Established Member
Yes different authorisations, but basic process is the same.

If the ticket was bought with a card, it is easy to refund or part refund. Retailers will normally use original receipt number as internal reference for approval reason.

I suspect as it is compensation it is either coming from separate account (so becomes separate transaction), or person processing it couldn't be bothered to ask someone senior with authority keys to process a payment that exceeded the normal level (and international payments might have a different authorisation level). More a case of involves effort than can't technically be done.

Of course the person processing it might not have a card terminal on their desk, which is why they say it can't be done, but they probably don't have a chequebook at their desk to write those either.

Last edited:

zero

I've never heard of Delay Repay being put on a card. The only options I've heard of are bank transfer, cheque or rail travel voucher.

At least Avanti, EMR, GWR, Northern, TPE, WMR are able to send DR to a card, though sometimes the option is not always available.

some bloke

Established Member
More possibilities beside PayPal - maybe Avanti would agree to

- send a cheque to your relative, made out to them, or

- send the money to their credit/debit card account; or

- bank transfer to them.

island

Veteran Member
Yes different authorisations, but basic process is the same.

If the ticket was bought with a card, it is easy to refund or part refund. Retailers will normally use original receipt number as internal reference for approval reason.

I suspect as it is compensation it is either coming from separate account (so becomes separate transaction), or person processing it couldn't be bothered to ask someone senior with authority keys to process a payment that exceeded the normal level (and international payments might have a different authorisation level). More a case of involves effort than can't technically be done.

Of course the person processing it might not have a card terminal on their desk, which is why they say it can't be done, but they probably don't have a chequebook at their desk to write those either.
As the original ticket was not sold by Avanti, it can't be processed as a refund, only as an Original Credit Transaction. An OCT cannot be done on a card terminal at all. And sending them out of the EEA requires a lot of special arrangements.

rrapynot

Here's some updated from me, the original poster.

What has happened so far:
1. Requested payment to credit card
2. Received email saying payment was being sent by cheque
3. Phoned after 2 weeks to ask A. Why wasn't it paid by credit card and B. Where is the cheque?
4. Avanbti said they can't process payments to non-UK cards and that despite the email saying i shoudk receive my cheque in 10-15 days it is actually 28 days.

I've been able to open a current account with a UK building society. I reached out to Avanti yesterday since 28 days have passed and they said they will cancel the cheques and someone else will reach out to me for my bank details. Today I received an email from Avanti saying they won't cancel the cheques and issue the payment by another method unless I send them a photo of the cheques cut in half. This is absolutely ridiculous.

rrapynot

As the original ticket was not sold by Avanti, it can't be processed as a refund, only as an Original Credit Transaction. An OCT cannot be done on a card terminal at all. And sending them out of the EEA requires a lot of special arrangements.
The original ticket was sold by Avanti.

My bank charges $50 to deposit a foreign cheque. I would have to pay a total of $100 in fees for a GBP98 refund.

Avanti list it as an option on their delay repay website. I entered my card details accurately and they claim it wouldn't go through and per their T&Cs they have the right to default to cheque when that happens.

I know GA aren’t the company that the OP is struggling with, but if Avanti also do PayPal, might this be a solution?
Avanti don't offer PayPal as an option.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The original ticket was sold by Avanti.

My bank charges $50 to deposit a foreign cheque. I would have to pay a total of $100 in fees for a GBP98 refund.

Avanti list it as an option on their delay repay website. I entered my card details accurately and they claim it wouldn't go through and per their T&Cs they have the right to default to cheque when that happens.

Avanti don't offer PayPal as an option.
May I ask if you have actually got the cheque / payment from Avanti yet?

As occurs to me that had you known their approach at the start you could perhaps have asked them to make it payable to your UK based relative in the first place. If you have not got it and have to contact them to request re-issue of it perhaps it is possible to ask them to do that.

rrapynot

May I ask if you have actually got the cheque / payment from Avanti yet?

As occurs to me that had you known their approach at the start you could perhaps have asked them to make it payable to your UK based relative in the first place. If you have not got it and have to contact them to request re-issue of it perhaps it is possible to ask them to do that.
They sent me an email on 7/2/23 saying they had sent cheques and to allow 10-15 days for them to arrive. It takes about 3-4 days for the post to arrive from the UK here in California. So far the cheques haven't arrived. They won't reissue payment unless I send a photo of the cheques cut in half. I've replied to ask them how I can take a photo of a cheques that I don't have?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
They really should just stop the cheques, to be honest, instead of asking you to deface or destroy them.

rrapynot

I can't decide if this is deliberate to avoid paying me or if they are just a bunch of incompetent bell ends.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I can't decide if this is deliberate to avoid paying me or if they are just a bunch of incompetent bell ends.
I suspect the latter to be honest - well incompetent at least....
hard to know for certain if they have ever sent them I fear, or if they have they may have posted them to USA address but just put a stamp on only valid for UK postage.

I wonder how they would react if you tell them to place a stop on the cheques as they are now deemed lost - and

replace them with payment to your UK relative.

rrapynot

I've received a response from Avanti customer resolutions. They are going to cancel the cheques and issue payment by BACS. Only took a month and a half and several phone calls.

zero

I've received a response from Avanti customer resolutions. They are going to cancel the cheques and issue payment by BACS. Only took a month and a half and several phone calls.

BACS is a way to pay only UK accounts though. Do you mean a wire / SWIFT transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.