• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Marriage Carriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
I think that these days anyone who is Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender etc is automatically put to the top of the list. It helps these companies meet their diversity and inclusion targets and gives them good publicity. Sadly this seems to be getting more and more common these days that companies pick people solely based on this.
Which targets are those?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’m as grumpy and cantankerous as the next person, but two people got married and are happy, and that seems fine by me. Good luck to them.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I thought this was an April Fools joke when i first read this. This seems like something that Virgin Trains would have done. I thought that First and Trenitalia were more normal. But perhaps all the same managers are still in charge. Personally getting married on Pendolino (one of the worst trains) going to Birmingham (one of the worst cities) sounds like hell. But each to their own.

I think weddings have been conducted at some Heritage Railways before (but not on a moving train) but i wonder if this is the first time it has happened on the ordinary mainline railway.

I agree with what Bayum and 185143 have said. I think that these days anyone who is Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender etc is automatically put to the top of the list. It helps these companies meet their diversity and inclusion targets and gives them good publicity. Sadly this seems to be getting more and more common these days that companies pick people solely based on this.

...how do you know that the haply couple weren't simply the first to apply for a slot and got it?

(I refer once again to one of my proposed Railforums guidelines - "If you think it's a conspiracy, then it probably isn't")

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don’t believe the ‘ceremony’ on the train was legally binding
Almost certainly not. For England (your mileage may vary elsewhere in the UK!) it's basically only possible to get a legally binding marriage in a religious venue (church, mosque, synagogue, etc), a register office, somewhere else authorised by a local authority (like a hotel), or your house if one of you is housebound or a hospital if one of you is ill and not expected to recover.

Most people who get "married" somewhere exotic, like a train in this case, are holding their ceremony (which emotionally is surely the most important part!?) in one place and will then nip either before or after to the register office to do the boring legal bit.

CeeJ

So so happy for the couple, Laura's passion and love for the railways (and her wife!) really shines through. Someone will always complain, but I don't think Avanti could have picked a better couple!

Dave W

I thought this was an April Fools joke when i first read this. This seems like something that Virgin Trains would have done. I thought that First and Trenitalia were more normal. But perhaps all the same managers are still in charge. Personally getting married on Pendolino (one of the worst trains) going to Birmingham (one of the worst cities) sounds like hell. But each to their own.

I think weddings have been conducted at some Heritage Railways before (but not on a moving train) but i wonder if this is the first time it has happened on the ordinary mainline railway.

I agree with what Bayum and 185143 have said. I think that these days anyone who is Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender etc is automatically put to the top of the list. It helps these companies meet their diversity and inclusion targets and gives them good publicity. Sadly this seems to be getting more and more common these days that companies pick people solely based on this.

Ignore the rest of this paranoid wibble and focus on the fact someone from GUILDFORD has criticised any other settlement ON THE PLANET without irony.

I’d be interested to hear from our learned contributors why an “LGBT etc” couple are somehow less deserving than heterosexual couples, because that’s certainly the sentiment on display.

Darandio

Established Member
OK, then the lucky couple just.....won fair and square?

It going to a same-gender couple is hardly statistically unlikely.... it is the 2020s, after all.

Yep, they simply won the competition. Congratulations and good luck to them for the future, it's nothing for others in this thread to get worked up over.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Princess Arthur of Connaught (1912-1959) was one person. Before marrying Prince Arthur of Connaught she was plain Lady Alexandra Duff. ("Lady" as her father was a Duke). She wouldn't be styled "Princess Alexandra", because she was only a princess by marriage, not by birth. (Hence, e.g "Diana, Princess of Wales", not "Princess Diana")
I did put in the :)
But thanks for the info in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.