• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BA Tier Point collection period changing

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning you'll have the same Tier Point Collection Year as friends and family who are also Members of the Executive Club.

In future, the Tier Point collection period will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members, starting from 1 April 2025.

Rest assured, we’ll make the change gradually, and you can continue to enjoy the benefits you’ve earned in our current Tier Point collection period. You’ll also have the same opportunity to renew or upgrade your Tier status while we transition your Membership to the new Tier Point Collection period.

In theory it could be a good thing for friends/family to have the same date, but is there a negative that they're not admitting?

My tier point end date is 8 March, so not a lot of difference for me.

One potential problem I forsee, is if everyone in future will attempt to do 'tier point runs' at the same time, which could bump up prices (and perhaps double tier point offers would not be offered at such times)?

(@Watershed @Mag_seven @Butts @AlterEgo )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
I may be a born cynic, but these changes rarely have a positive outcome for the traveller as the airline normally do it to worsen a program.

I was looking for the detail, but my gut feeling is it will be more difficult to obtain / retain your tier status. (As the recent changes with Eurostar have demonstrated)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The change has, in the usual BA way, been communicated poorly and in a confusing manner. I still haven't had an email about the changes - it's only through third party sources that I've become aware of it!

The biggest long-term negative is that they're reducing the 'grace period' (the period after your Tier Point collection year ends during which you keep your status) from approximately 7 weeks to a calendar month. This makes it much harder to renew status only every second year - since you would need to cram the requisite travel into just one month where previously you had 7 weeks.

In the short term, some people will lose out - primarily those who have a lot of trips booked for before April 2024 and who will then stop earning Tier Points. But this is small fry in comparison to the bigger changes which are on the horizon, notably revenue-based Tier Point earning. That will likely see off Tier Point runs and the like for good and it will then become a question of trying to manufacture spend, for those that are in a position to do so.

A small number of people will gain - primarily those who are able to 'double dip' with Tier Points earned after April. They may end up earning/retaining status for longer than they were expecting.

Whilst I'm sure the usual Tier Point run routes such as Sofia and Bucharest may see a small bump in prices immediately before and after April, in the grand scheme of things it's nevertheless a sensible change.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I may be a born cynic, but these changes rarely have a positive outcome for the traveller as the airline normally do it to worsen a program.
It's all very reminiscent of LNER, and the way they word all changes as if they are entirely positive (but of course, those 'in the know' have learnt how to 'read between the lines')
I was looking for the detail, but my gut feeling is it will be more difficult to obtain / retain your tier status. (As the recent changes with Eurostar have demonstrated)
Yes that's why I am suspicious; the obvious thing is that the optimal time to go on a 'tier point run' is just after your tier point year ends; that way you get the status for 2 years (doing it just before would only give you 1 year).

Perhaps BA are concerned at the number of people doing tier point runs under double tier point offers, and they aim to abolish double tier point offers during the period when everyone will be wanting to do them.
The biggest long-term negative is that they're reducing the 'grace period' (the period after your Tier Point collection year ends during which you keep your status) from approximately 7 weeks to a calendar month. This makes it much harder to renew status only every second year - since you would need to cram the requisite travel into just one month where previously you had 7 weeks.

I suppose in that case, if you did it within 7 weeks in future, you'd just have the final 3 weeks at a lower status.
In the short term, some people will lose out - primarily those who have a lot of trips booked for before April 2024 and who will then stop earning Tier Points. But this is small fry in comparison to the bigger changes which are on the horizon, notably revenue-based Tier Point earning. That will likely see off Tier Point runs and the like for good and it will then become a question of trying to manufacture spend, for those that are in a position to do so.
Ah yes, that would be problematic.
Whilst I'm sure the usual Tier Point run routes such as Sofia and Bucharest may see a small bump in prices immediately before and after April, in the grand scheme of things it's nevertheless a sensible change.
True. But I'm not just thinking of a bumb in prices but also I suspect any deals involving additional tier points would be abolished during that period, e.g. the double tier point offers through BA Holidays.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how this works out. My collection point end is July - so will I have a long period (July 2024 - March 2026) or a short one (July 2024 - March 2025). If it is the later then I hope the reduce the number of points needed to obtain the status! I haven't actaully got the email myself yet - but know of many colleagues who have.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It will be interesting to see how this works out. My collection point end is July - so will I have a long period (July 2024 - March 2026) or a short one (July 2024 - March 2025). If it is the later then I hope the reduce the number of points needed to obtain the status! I haven't actaully got the email myself yet - but know of many colleagues who have.
You will have a 'short' period from July 2024 to March 2025, but the adjustment BA are making is that any Tier Points earned from April 2024 onwards will count towards your short year. So you will still effectively have a year to earn the usual Tier Points

This is an imperfect adjustment though, because it is being imposed with very little notice and many people will already have made travel plans for the next year. Those who will earn, or have earned, Tier Points in a 'frontloaded' manner before April 2024 will have to make additional revenue bookings if they are to retain their status.

A fairer way of doing it would be to begin the new system in April 2025 so that no-one is adversely affected, or alternatively of pro-rating Tier Points for those who would otherwise be adversely affected.

But at the end of the day, it is a scheme run by BA for their own benefit, and they can and will change the rules to suit their own needs.

Cdd89

Established Member
I am a little surprised that BA didn’t just extend everyone’s membership year to April, and accept that some people would get very lucky (and maybe be won over and seek to renew it!). It seems they’ve prioritised scrupulous fairness over simplicity.

This makes it much harder to renew status only every second year - since you would need to cram the requisite travel into just one month where previously you had 7 weeks.
Am I misunderstanding this? If you want to renew every second year then you need the qualifying travel to be outside (i.e. after) the renewal membership year. As the grace is manually applied anyway, and you don’t want it applied (if it were you’d only be extended for one year as the points would be credited to the renewal year rather than a fresh year), it is surely irrelevant?

It’s possible (probable?) that I’ve misunderstood what you’re saying here, though!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It seems they’ve prioritised scrupulous fairness over simplicity.
The new system isn't fair for everyone - most people have had their "soft landing" period reduced, some considerably so. I think the problem is that they've tried to do it too quickly.

Am I misunderstanding this? If you want to renew every second year then you need the qualifying travel to be outside (i.e. after) the renewal membership year. As the grace is manually applied anyway, and you don’t want it applied (if it were you’d only be extended for one year as the points would be credited to the renewal year rather than a fresh year), it is surely irrelevant?

It’s possible (probable?) that I’ve misunderstood what you’re saying here, though!
Yes, so the idea is that you renew every second year during the period between your membership year end (previously 8th of a month) and your card expiry date (previously the last day of the following month). That would allow you to benefit from your current status whilst renewing it for another two years.

Instead of having ~7 weeks to do this, you now only have ~4 weeks to do so. Of course you'd still have a soft landing down to a lower level of status if you don't manage to renew in that time, but for example GGLs fall down to Silver so it's a fair old fall from grace!

Cdd89

Established Member
Aha, I was thinking of the wrong grave period. I was thinking they reduced the two weeks during which you can request to have your points actually credited to the previous year, but they’ve actually reduced the extra period your existing status is valid for :)

Butts

Veteran Member
I dropped from Gold to Silver on Jan 1st when my "grace period" ran out.

No longer reaching for the stars .... Silver is perhaps the sweet spot within the system and only requires 600 Tier Points to retain whereas Gold needs 1500.

I will miss the 1st Wing at T5 (currently closed) and some of the Good 1st Class Lounges in T3 , but these don't represent enough in relation to the expenditure required to achieve 1500 points.

As long as I get Fast Track Security, Lounge Access and Free Exit Seats in Y that's enough for me.

nlogax

Established Member
As long as I get Fast Track Security, Lounge Access and Free Exit Seats in Y that's enough for me.
Same. Silver is the sweet spot for me re. required outlay and reward. Tbh I've never made Gold and wouldn't see the benefit bearing in mind the average amount of business I send BA's way during a collection year.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Perhaps BA are concerned at the number of people doing tier point runs under double tier point offers, and they aim to abolish double tier point offers during the period when everyone will be wanting to do them.
Of course, there's not anything wrong with the objective of trying to outlaw the practice of a tier point run. If that's allowed to continue long term or encouraged, it could easily result in legislation to restrict loyalty rewards.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Air travel demand is generally lower in January and February, even into March.

What better way of filling unused capacity than by making everyone go on tier point runs at that time of year?