• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann loco - too much oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't believe this today. Had a new 37 in the post and the bogies, underframe and one area of the bodyside had a thin layer of light oil over them! When I contacted the seller, I was told that lately Bachmann have been over applying oil to the motor. Has anyone else had a new loco and found this oil on it? It was most annoying and I had to clean it all off carefully. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any marks on the bodyside.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Yes, both of my BachFar DCC ready Class 47 models had this
Rather tricky in N gauge models but once removed the model suddenly runs perfectly
I was advised it is to prevent damage during transit

After having my first Bachmann 37 with noisy running problems, it was a case of oh no not another problem if you get my drift. This 37 (The Saltire Society), although running smooth with no apparent issues still doesn't manage a particularly good slow speed running. The Bachmann 47 I have (Sir Rowland Hill) is perfect. Silent running and superb slow running. I would have assumed that despite the slight chassis difference, both models would employ an almost identical drivetrain system and why should the models differ in the way they run?

Roylang

Couldn't believe this today. Had a new 37 in the post and the bogies, underframe and one area of the bodyside had a thin layer of light oil over them! When I contacted the seller, I was told that lately Bachmann have been over applying oil to the motor. Has anyone else had a new loco and found this oil on it? It was most annoying and I had to clean it all off carefully. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any marks on the bodyside.

I have had several Bachmann models that have oil over the body surface on unpacking :(

I don't think it is that uncommon.

Roy

Don2912

It's not a new problem either; a few years ago, I purchased a new Lima "Western" from a closing-down sale.
Upon opening the box, there was quite a lot of oil over the loco body, bogies, and inside the box.

I binned the box, and cleaned the loco as well as I could.

Even today, the loco has an oily sheen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.