• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barmouth to Reading, Berkshire

Tallguy

OK route and ticketing experts, I need some help please. Need to get a 16 year old dragging a suitcase from Barmouth to Reading, Berkshire. Usual sources are suggesting Barmouth to Wolverhampton then change to a Cross Country to Reading. This is 1 change only. Journey is quite long and there is a decent connection time at Wolverhampton to allow for the train from Barmouth running a bit late.

Option 2 is Barmouth to Birmingham New Street, taxi to Moor Street then Chiltern to High Wycombe where I can pick the passenger up and drive them to Reading. Some very cheap split tickets available on this route. Some days this route can be purchased for sub £35.

So, if travelling on Option 1 can the passenger exit the station at Wolverhampton to buy food etc? Not a problem on Option 2 due to the change of stations.

Also, does the train from Barmouth to Wolverhampton have toilets?

Travel would be a weekday leaving Barmouth on the 10.59. The passenger isn’t stupid but hasn’t undertaken a solo train journey of this magnitude before so I want to keep it simple for them.

Any other routing suggestions or ideas please?

TIA.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Birmingham New Street, taxi to Moor Street
Even with luggage, no one would actually get a taxi from New Street to Moor Street. It is a fairly short walk. I appreciate that the passenger is inexperienced with travel but you can basically see Moor Street Station from the eastern exit of New Street station.

A passenger looking to avoid this walk would change at Smethwick Galton Bridge for a train to Birmingham Moor Street, but would have to use a lift at both stations.

Also, does the train from Barmouth to Wolverhampton have toilets?
Yes. It will be a class 158 with a toilet in each carriage

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... if travelling on Option 1 can the passenger exit the station at Wolverhampton to buy food etc?
This depends on the tickets that are purchased.

By the way, you can request additional interchange time at any station of your choosing.

Tallguy

This depends on the tickets that are purchased.

By the way, you can request additional interchange time at any station of your choosing.
Ticket would be an Advance Single, booked via The Train Line and collected from the machine at Barmouth prior to travel.

Would it be possible to collect the ticket from any TVM?

the passenger is going to Barmouth by car, but needs to return via train, hence the enquiry.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ticket would be an Advance Single, booked via The Train Line and collected from the machine at Barmouth prior to travel.
In that case, officially speaking, no, she can't leave the station.
Would it be possible to collect the ticket from any TVM?
Yes, but some retailers enforce same-card collection. We don't, LNER do, but I am unsure about Trainline.

I found this:

For some bookings you'll need to use the card you paid with to collect your tickets.

Does it have to be bought from Trainline?

It's likely to cost more than from us, and they don't offer seat selection either.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In that case, officially speaking, no, she can't leave the station.
Using station facilities is not a break of journey; most of the shops at Wolverhampton are on the public side of the barriers. Therefore there would be no basis for denying the passenger egress and access through the barriers.

In any event the barriers at Wolverhampton seem to very rarely be in operation!