• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best course of action: Used railcard discount without railcard

uthmang2003

Hello, I had a swift card which allowed me to travel to university during the semester, however it ended a week early for some reason. I then used a railcard without owning one when i went to university and received a letter to explain my situation. What is the best course of action, and what should I write in my letter?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us a bit more about your case. When you were stopped were you trying to use the Swift card which held an expired ticket? Did you purchase another ticket using a railcard to obtain a discount but you didn't actually possess a railcard?

Which train company are you dealing with? I'm guessing West Midlands Trains.

My normal advice is to write a short, concise letter mentioning the following points:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

If you can answe my questios above, post a redacted copy of the letter you've been sent along with your draft reply forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

uthmang2003

Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us a bit more about your case. When you were stopped were you trying to use the Swift card which held an expired ticket? Did you purchase another ticket using a railcard to obtain a discount but you didn't actually possess a railcard?

Which train company are you dealing with? I'm guessing West Midlands Trains.

My normal advice is to write a short, concise letter mentioning the following points:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

If you can answe my questios above, post a redacted copy of the letter you've been sent along with your draft reply forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.
I was stopped just before coventry train station, I wasnt trying to use to swift card but a ticket I bought using a railcard, which i didnt own. The train ccompany is Avanti West Coast.

Here is my draft if you would kindly read:

Good Afternoon, when I took the train that day I purchased a ticket using a railcard. Before I had a swiftcard which allowed me to go to university, however for some reaosn it expired a week before the end of the semster. I do not own a railcard, and I am sorry for using a railcard without owning one. I have learnt to now buy a railcard if I want to receive discounts. I am keen to settle the matter without the need for courta action. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare and the trains admin costs in dealing with the matter.
Thank you (Name redacted by forum team)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was stopped just before coventry train station, I wasnt trying to use to swift card but a ticket I bought using a railcard, which i didnt own. The train ccompany is Avanti West Coast.

Good Afternoon, when I took the train that day I purchased a ticket using a railcard. Before I had a swiftcard which allowed me to go to university, however for some reaosn it expired a week before the end of the semster. I do not own a railcard, and I am sorry for using a railcard without owning one. I have learnt to now buy a railcard if I want to receive discounts. I am keen to settle the matter without the need for courta action. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare and the trains admin costs in dealing with the matter.
I wouldn't mention the Swift card, it's not relevent to your case. The case simply that you applied a railcard discount you weren't entitled to.

Ducky88

There are several typos. Edited below:

Good Afternoon, when I took the train that day I purchased a ticket using a railcard. Before I had a swiftcard that allowed me to go to university, however for some reason it expired a week before the end of the semester. I do not own a railcard, and I am sorry for using a railcard without owning one. I have learned to buy a railcard now to receive discounts. I am keen to settle the matter without the need for court action. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare and any admin costs in dealing with the matter.

Also edited it to read a little better. The length or style might not matter but the spelling does!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I purchased a ticket using a railcard.

Isn't what happened that the OP has purchased/used a railcard-discounted ticket, without, at the time of travel, them actually holding any accompanying, in date, valid railcard?

Which means that there wasn't a railcard that could be used.

So, why say or suggest that there was?

Before I had a swiftcard which allowed me to go to university, however for some reaosn it expired a week before the end of the semster.

The sentence about the Swiftcard having expired seems not to be particularly relevant to the matter, as @Hadders has already mentioned, and should perhaps be omitted.