• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

B'ham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I'm more concerned with the project's very minor increase in capacity. New St is already overcrowded as it is

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What is there to consult on? Surely the plans have already been approved? Work started in Sept 2009.

In any case, I think it's disappointing that they're keeping the shopping centre over New Street station. There are already several duplicate shops in Birmingham (there are 2 other HMVs, 2 other branches of Argos and several Tescos in Birmingham city centre). As Birmingham has more derelict, brownfield land in the city centre than any other city I've been to or lived in I don't understand the need to plonk something on top of the station. My main problem is not with the concourse, where the work will be done but on the platforms which seem to have minimal amounts of work being done on them.

As for John Lewis; excellent news. It's shameful that Birmingham hasn't had a John Lewis sooner. I hope they include a foodhall too as there are too few branches of Waitrose in Birmingham.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I'm more concerned with the project's very minor increase in capacity. New St is already overcrowded as it is

From what I have read, the capacity increase for passengers won't be minor but there is little scope to increase patform capacity especially throughput at the southern end of New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.