• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit matters

RT4038

Established Member
My personal thoughts on joining Schengen (yes, absolutely) aside, it's not actually necessary to fixing the Eurostar mess. Instead, we simply need to return to on-train passport checks, which are perfectly feasible—they were routinely done on the continent pre-Schengen, and indeed on Eurostar in the early days of its operation.

(Of course, the current government won't do this, as juxtaposed controls are a means for the UK to skirt its legal obligations regarding refugees.)
The world has moved on since then, both immigration and train services, and it is no longer 'perfectly feasible' with today's requirements. As has been explained ad nauseum in this section previously.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
I suppose one sticking point would be passport control that would have to be established in any new city that is served.

I have often wondered why Britain has not joined Schengen. Other non EU countries such as Switzerland have. It would also help with the Northern Ireland /Republic of Ireland situation.
If UK felt that signing up to Schengen was incompatible with it's objectives in securing the border/controlling migration while still a member of the EU then there is absolutely no chance that it would do so now that it is left.

My understanding is that Brexit happened due to several factors mostly economic e.g. a sense that the EU had not delivered on promises. The only aspect of Brexit that might have a bearing regarding Schengen was concern over immigration, with Germany opening her borders.
You could not be more wrong.

The world has moved on since then, both immigration and train services, and it is no longer 'perfectly feasible' with today's requirements. As has been explained ad nauseum in this section previously.
Absolutely correct. The trend in migration control worldwide is in exactly the opposite direction.