• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge next to Ilford Road Metro Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
Right this has been bugging me for a while so I hope someone can answer my query. Every day I commute between Chiscester and South Gosforth on my way to work. The station before I get off is Ilford road, usually Im facing backward so looking backover where the train has just been. Anyway there is abridge the train goes through and about 5 seconds after the train has passed through 2 lights come on under the bridge on the nearside which stay on until for as long as I can see. There are lights opposite on the other sode of the bridge which are always on. At first I thought I was imagining this, but it happens every morning without fail and is really starting to bug me. Any ideas what these are:oops::lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
I'm not familiar with the lights, but I'd guess they warning lights. There's a siding between Ilford Road and South Gosforth and presumably drivers have to walk down the track. The light would come on to show that there's no trains coming and it's safe to pass under the bridge.

eezypeazy

Correct, Craig: safety feature used in areas of narrow clearances. Lights on, it's safe; lights off, train approaching, don't walk under bridge....

eezypeazy

Status
Not open for further replies.