• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HCT Group in Administration (was Bristol Community Transport to cease trading)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stait.john

Bristol Community Transport to cease operating on Friday after days of rumours it’s finally been made public.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

diffywood

From what I heard it's only the services previously done in-house by Bristol city council transport services

Update

Now all operations it seems to be

Last edited:

stait.john

Yes its all operations……London and Bristol. Do they still operate in the Channel Islands?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Bristol Community Transport to cease operating on Friday after days of rumours it’s finally been made public.
Not even a month since the CT Plus operations in Yorkshire closed on the 5th August. The question is will First take over one of the Metrobus routes that was run by Bristol Community Transport?

freetoview33

Established Member
Not even a month since the CT Plus operations in Yorkshire closed on the 5th August. The question is will First take over one of the Metrobus routes that was run by Bristol Community Transport?
The M1 will undoubtedly go back to First as it was only sub-contracted to Bristol Community Transport from First.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes its all operations……London and Bristol. Do they still operate in the Channel Islands?

Is there a release for this?
Yep - had a few trips on CT Plus in Guernsey last year

Looking at their other work in Bristol (aside from the m1), I'm guesstimating
515 - 2 vehicles
516 - 2 vehicles
52 - 1 vehicle
62 - 2 vehicles
511 - 1 vehicle
512 - 1 vehicle
505 - 3 vehicles
506 - 3 vehicles
53-55 - 2 vehicles

I guess that would fit in with Stagecoach - mind you, 515 and 62 were Stagecoach, weren't they? You'd wonder how many drivers would want to head to Patchway though possibly are ex First from Hengrove?

Citistar

512 is planned to be moving to Eurotaxis soon.

It would appear that HCT Bristol are now stating on their Twitter account @bris_ct that this has been a false alarm and only affects their community transport operations. Their bus operations will apparently continue "as normal".

-Colly405-

512 is planned to be moving to Eurotaxis soon.

It would appear that HCT Bristol are now stating on their Twitter account @bris_ct that this has been a false alarm and only affects their community transport operations. Their bus operations will apparently continue "as normal".
Unfortunate false alarm for them. Their press release was focussed on community transport but could have been clearer. The media (seemingly BBC Bristol) misunderstood as did Stagecoach West's tweeter...

Dai Corner

Established Member
Unfortunate false alarm for them. Their press release was focussed on community transport but could have been clearer. The media (seemingly BBC Bristol) misunderstood as did Stagecoach West's tweeter...
So they're becoming just another bus operator? I thought the idea was that profits from commercial and tendered services paid for the 'community' side?

Citistar

I don't think the group has ever shown a profit. Regarding Bristol, there are conflicting stories coming out from all over the place at the moment. Whilst they may not be in immediate danger of ceasing operations, i wouldn't be surprised to hear news of their services being operationally transferred over the next few days.

Dren Ahmeti

I don't think the group has ever shown a profit. Regarding Bristol, there are conflicting stories coming out from all over the place at the moment. Whilst they may not be in immediate danger of ceasing operations, i wouldn't be surprised to hear news of their services being operationally transferred over the next few days.
I agree. They're definitely not stable right now.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I agree. They're definitely not stable right now.
Yup. Their tweet seems to be carefully worded to say their bus operations would continue but not that it would necessarily be under the present ownership.

Last edited:

richard13

Yesterday the Bristollive published this quote from the West of England Combined Authority Transport dept:

“Progress is being made on the main bus routes, including the flagship m1, and we are hopeful that some of the other services will be taken over by other providers too to provide continuity. There is also some limited interest from community transport providers to take over those services going forward but sadly not immediately.”

First have indicated that they will make sure the m1 continues - they have the master contract for metrobus anyway.

Citistar

Yesterday the Bristollive published this quote from the West of England Combined Authority Transport dept:

“Progress is being made on the main bus routes, including the flagship m1, and we are hopeful that some of the other services will be taken over by other providers too to provide continuity. There is also some limited interest from community transport providers to take over those services going forward but sadly not immediately.”

First have indicated that they will make sure the m1 continues - they have the master contract for metrobus anyway.
I don't believe there is a contract for Metrobus. The whole point of the project is that it is supposed to be commercially sustaining and other operators can join the project to use the installed facilities if they meet the specification.

TheLastMinute

RouteOne is reporting that HCT Group are trying to sell their London routes to Stagecoach. I'd imagine that the Bristol routes would be brought into that conversation as well. Almost certainly First wouldn't be able to buy because of their dominant position in the market.

routeone website said:
https://www.route-one.net/business-deals/hct-group-in-talks-with-stagecoach-over-london-routes
HCT Group is at an advanced stage of talks over the sale of its London bus business to Stagecoach as the scale of the social enterprise’s difficulties grew significantly. That work currently occupies around 160 vehicles from two depots.

In a notice to staff, Operations and Engineering Director Mark Owen says that sale of the Transport for London contracted work to another operator is “the best way to protect the jobs of our front-line staff.” At the time of Mr Owen’s message, the talks with Stagecoach had not been concluded, but further details are expected to be confirmed shortly.

The memo notes that HCT Group suffered difficult trading conditions before the COVID-19 pandemic, which have since been followed by the impact of that period and increased fuel and labour costs.

I guess that would fit in with Stagecoach - mind you, 515 and 62 were Stagecoach, weren't they? You'd wonder how many drivers would want to head to Patchway though possibly are ex First from Hengrove?
If Stagecoach did purchase, would they be interested in taking on the Parson Street depot in Bedminster as well? It would give them a strategic base in the south of the city to compliment Patchway.

richard13

The situation in London is different to that in Bristol. In London all the routes are run for Transport for London (TfL) and probably by HCT Group Operations and is an item that could be sold with TfL agreement.

In Bristol the commercial routes are, like London, run by HCT Group Operations using the Bristol Community Transport name and not by the community company. (From BCT website/about us - the separation of commercial and charity work). The routes are all contracts but to a number of different organisations, which include First West of England, Bristol City Council, North Somerset Council and may be others. It is not a simple sellable item. First are unlikely to allow Stagecoach to buy a contract for operating one of their routes. HCT Groups problem is that these fixed price contracts are not covering their costs and thus not funding the charity operations.

In Bristol it appears that the local Community Transport company (a charity) has run out of money, but the central HCT Group Operations (commercial) is still trading. The London sale could keep HCT Group going for a little longer, but neither the London Sale nor length of further trading is known. There seems to be discussions on awarding the route contracts to others, whether for immediate transfer or on hold for a final date. First have said the m1 will keep running, but not how or by whom.

The Jersey and Guernsey operations do not seem to have been mentioned, but Guernsey is not running the normal late buses from events due to costs. (Guernsey News)

Citistar

HCT Operations appear to have given notice that they will be unable to fulfill their (former Bristol City Council) local bus contracts with the Combined Authority imminently as they were seeking emergency replacements today to start "at very short notice".

TheLastMinute

The Travelwest website is reporting that BCT's final day operating services will be tomorrow, Friday 2nd Sep.

It's confirmed that First will be running the M1 as of Monday, with no services over the weekend presumably while they get themselves sorted out transferring over drivers and buses. The other services (52, 53, 54, 55, 62, 505, 506, 511, 515 and 516) will also cease after tomorrow, but no-one is yet setup to take over. WoECA say they are looking for someone else to take over, but who knows if they'll find anyone.

TravelWest website (https://travelwest.info/bus/m1-and-other-bus-services-not-operating-3rd-and-4th-september) said:

m1 and other bus services not operating 3rd and 4th September​

Disruption to services is also likely on 2nd September.

This page was last updated on 01/09/2022 at 14:20.

M1 METROBUS SERVICE​

HCT group, which operates the m1 metrobus service, has informed us, that regrettably, it will be unable to operate the service after Friday 2nd September. The future of the service, however, has been secured and operations will be transferred to First Bus, which will start operating the service from Monday 5th September to a slightly revised timetable.
We ask that passengers be aware that there may be disruptions to some late evening journeys on Friday 2nd September and that there will be no service on Saturday 3rd or Sunday 4th September due to the transfer of staff and buses.

OTHER SERVICES RUN BY THE HCT GROUP​

The bus operator HCT group (operating as ‘Bristol Community Transport’) also operates bus services 52, 53, 54, 55, 62, 505, 506, 511, 515 and 516 across the Combined Authority area and North Somerset. The group has informed us, that regrettably, it will be unable to operate those services after Friday 2nd September.
The West of England Combined Authority is currently working hard to try and secure an alternative operator for these services however from the 3rd September these services will cease operating.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES​

Friday 2nd September​

• Normal service although some disruption may occur with late evening services (check messages on real time displays at bus stops and social media)

Saturday 3rd September​

• No metrobus m1 service
  • Other HCT group bus services no longer in operation from this day

Sunday, 4th September​

• No metrobus m1 service

Monday 5th September​

• metrobus m1 full service resumes operating to a revised timetable

richard13

Travel West provided an update on Tuesday (6th) after lunch

62: Gloucestershire County Council have contracted Applegates to provide a reduced one bus shuttle between Dursley and Thornbury only. Connections on the T1 to Bristol are shown in place of the through service.

511: Eurocoaches are running this unchanged

m1: First are running this to a reduced timetable, similar to the summer service.

Remainder (52, 53, 54, 55, 505, 506, 515 and 516) are not running.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Travel West provided an update on Tuesday (6th) after lunch

62: Gloucestershire County Council have contracted Applegates to provide a reduced one bus shuttle between Dursley and Thornbury only. Connections on the T1 to Bristol are shown in place of the through service.

511: Eurocoaches are running this unchanged

m1: First are running this to a reduced timetable, similar to the summer service.

Remainder (52, 53, 54, 55, 505, 506, 515 and 516) are not running.
Seem to recall that the 62 had a few regular commuters (about half a dozen) - that won't be brilliant for them

As for the other routes, those are some substantial gaps

-Colly405-

Yesterday morning rush hour southbound into town was horrendous with full buses leaving people standing at many stops.
Yesterday evening rush hour northbound from town was horrendous with 3 journeys in a row cancelled

RELL6L

Seem to recall that the 62 had a few regular commuters (about half a dozen) - that won't be brilliant for them

As for the other routes, those are some substantial gaps
The 62 is a substantive route out of the urban area, I had missed that this was one of the routes being lost here. I used it a while ago (not HCT, could it have been Stagecoach?) and obtained a 15-or-so minute explore of Berkeley village centre by getting off the afternoon bus before it went to Ham Technology Park and getting on it again afterwards. I don't know whether I missed anything interesting but there wasn't (and isn't) many alternative options to visit this attractive village. I am sure there were a few passengers including 2 or 3 who boarded while I was off the bus. The 62 is the only real route to Berkeley and Sharpness so it is important that it survives, agreed that a shuttle between Dursley and Thornbury should suffice.

The 54 Bristol Airport - Yatton - Clevedon is another rural route, if/when the X2 goes then Yatton will have lost all its bus services in quick time.

Citistar

Still missing at present are:
52 Hengrove Park - City Centre (Bristol City Council / West of England Combined Authority)
53 Clevedon town service (North Somerset Council)
54 Clevedon - Bristol Airport (NSC)
55 Bristol Airport - Hengrove Park (NSC)
505 Long Ashton - Southmead Hospital (BCC/WECA)
506 Southmead Hospital - City Centre (BCC/WECA)
515 Stockwood - Imperial Park (BCC/WECA)
516 Hengrove Park - Broadwalk (WECA)

Applegates were noted yesterday using an ALX400 bodied decker on the 62, which may be slight overprovision.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Still missing at present are:
52 Hengrove Park - City Centre (Bristol City Council / West of England Combined Authority)
53 Clevedon town service (North Somerset Council)
54 Clevedon - Bristol Airport (NSC)
55 Bristol Airport - Hengrove Park (NSC)
505 Long Ashton - Southmead Hospital (BCC/WECA)
506 Southmead Hospital - City Centre (BCC/WECA)
515 Stockwood - Imperial Park (BCC/WECA)
516 Hengrove Park - Broadwalk (WECA)

Applegates were noted yesterday using an ALX400 bodied decker on the 62, which may be slight overprovision.
So tagged on before and after a school contract - good for social distancing though!

The 62 is a substantive route out of the urban area, I had missed that this was one of the routes being lost here. I used it a while ago (not HCT, could it have been Stagecoach?) and obtained a 15-or-so minute explore of Berkeley village centre by getting off the afternoon bus before it went to Ham Technology Park and getting on it again afterwards. I don't know whether I missed anything interesting but there wasn't (and isn't) many alternative options to visit this attractive village. I am sure there were a few passengers including 2 or 3 who boarded while I was off the bus. The 62 is the only real route to Berkeley and Sharpness so it is important that it survives, agreed that a shuttle between Dursley and Thornbury should suffice.

The 54 Bristol Airport - Yatton - Clevedon is another rural route, if/when the X2 goes then Yatton will have lost all its bus services in quick time.
I don't know if they can let the X2 disappear - that's a substantial area to be left without anything so expect WECA to rummage around to find some funds, assuming First wants to operate it.

As for the 62, I recall travelling on the route in 2014 when First took it on - so much has happened since then but I think it might have been Mike's Travel, and then to First as the 224 but only at peak times. It then became the 88 and gained the off peak journeys, but was then offloaded to Stagecoach. It then became the 62 and then moved to CT Plus - quite the journey in about 5 years!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.