• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Green Capital of Europe 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

CD

Can anyone explain why Bristol which has some of the worst traffic congestion and air pollution in the country be "Green"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
The most plausible reason I can think of is because relatively few Bristol residents drive VWs.

carlberry

Established Member
Can anyone explain why Bristol which has some of the worst traffic congestion and air pollution in the country be "Green"?

It's efforts to try to deal with both of those issues is likely to be why it was awarded it. And it's only one month and 3 days until it's passed on to somebody else (Ljubljana).
At least it means First Bristol might take the white swoops off ofthe windows of it's green buses so that the passengers can see out again!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's efforts to try to deal with both of those issues is likely to be why it was awarded it. And it's only one month and 3 days until it's passed on to somebody else (Ljubljana).
At least it means First Bristol might take the white swoops off ofthe windows of it's green buses so that the passengers can see out again!

It's awarded on the basis of what it has done (cycling city, recycling etc), what it plans to do and to encourage further green plans.

AndrewE

Established Member
And all the buses there were green once-upon-a-time!
And what did the morons running those green buses do to address their unreliability in the 70's?
When consultants said "You must split routes that go through the Centre (but you MUST introduce through ticketing)" instead they split the routes and ignored the advice, resulting in more-than-doubling of fares and colossal loss of business. I was one! (not a moron but an ex-passenger)
A

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And what did the morons running those green buses do to address their unreliability in the 70's?
When consultants said "You must split routes that go through the Centre (but you MUST introduce through ticketing)" instead they split the routes and ignored the advice, resulting in more-than-doubling of fares and colossal loss of business. I was one! (not a moron but an ex-passenger)
A

I'm one of those ex-passengers too! Mind you, I left the area, but I did not miss the bus services one little bit. 'How not to run a bus service' would have been a good lecture subject. Some of those geniuses had a hand in the setting up of Badgerline too, but that's a different subject.:)

P.S. To be scrupulously fair, Bristol City Council would probably have defeated the most far-sighted bus operator with its intransigence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.