• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol to Llandudno Jnc 19th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parham Wood

As an infrequent rail traveller I just wanted to comment on my trip on the 19th June from Briston TM (dep 8:54) via Newport (9:36) to Llandudno Jnc.

1. Ticket Purchase - I was looking on line for the cheapest single fare for morning travel. Eventually found one for £40 as I could not get to BTM by bus for earlier cheaper ticket. However Nat Rail Enquiries did try to offer the above route in the afternoon with a 6 min change at Newport which I thought to be too tight. No problem with collecting at BTM although the machine did reject my card on the first attempt. (Second scare of the day as the bus indicator showed bus 30 min late but it turned up on time).

2. Seat Reservation - No problem reserving on line for BTM to Newport but could not do so for the Arriva section. Web site said to go to an Arriva station - none near me. Apparently I could have phoned up but it slipped my memory, anyway I got a seat.

3. Newport - Could not see any indicators on the platforms showing from where trains left only the next trains from the platform you were on. A partially disabled passenger who could not walk quickly whom I met would have been disadvantaged for a quick connection (mine was leisurely). He also could not find any staff to ask. This needs rectifying.

4. Newport - Llandudno Jnc. Through train which was more or less full for most of the way and nearing Chester was standing. Could have done with three cars. Useful that there was luggage space at the ends as main passengers were travelling with luggage and it was piled high at Chester. Train very comfortable but the aircon a little cold.

5. Crew - Very pleasant trolley buffet staff (one a trainee I think). Coffee was fine. Conductor/guard to Chester - very pleasant as well and helpful. Back to the old thing of conductor walking through train and asking to see tickets for passengers who got on at the last stop. Even the new conductor from Chester did not ask to see tickets of those already on board.

6. Other comments - A couple of minutes late only - not bad for a trip of that length and number of stops. Only saw one moving freight on whole journey - coal heading South. Lovelly scenery for a lot of the way. On the whole a very pleasant journey so my compliments to all concerned. The only negative is the ticket price. £40 is bearable and would have been reduced with a railcard, but £88 at most other times is too expensive particularly if two adults or more travelling. Mind you Nat Xpress bus was £100+ via Liverpool and a ten hour trip. End to end time 6hrs 15 min including walking to bus stop. Came back by car in 4hrs 15min so given I had to bus for an hour not bad!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
1. Ticket Purchase - I was looking on line for the cheapest single fare for morning travel. Eventually found one for £40 as I could not get to BTM by bus for earlier cheaper ticket. However Nat Rail Enquiries did try to offer the above route in the afternoon with a 6 min change at Newport which I thought to be too tight. No problem with collecting at BTM although the machine did reject my card on the first attempt. (Second scare of the day as the bus indicator showed bus 30 min late but it turned up on time).

For future reference, if a late train causes you to miss your booked rail connection (ie train-train, not bus-train unless the bus is a rail replacement bus), even on an advance you may catch the next available train run by the same operator. In these cases, you can even get compensation of some portion of the ticket price (depending on operator and time delayed). So unless you were time-constrained, if the journey planner suggests it the connection is fine. If you want to find the minimum connection time for a given station, the official National Rail Timetable index should tell you, but you could also use the unofficial data source of http://brtimes.com (enter a station into the search box, it'll tell you at the top of the results page the minimum connection time).

Odd @ seat reservation; the system is a national one so I'm under the impression that where available, reservations should be given by any official booking engine. Perhaps reservations were not available for this train, or do Arriva use a different system just to be weird?

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I believe Arriva Trains Wales (amongst other TOCs)has the reservation system set up/policy which deliberately only gives "counted places" to holders of Advance tickets, leaving actual reserved seating for walk up ticket holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.