• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calder Valley Loop

Halifaxlad

Established Member
According to Halifax District Rail Action Group a new loop is to be created somewhere East of Hebden Bridge for Westbound services only.

Rather than having local passenger trains sitting in a loop here, getting frustrated that they are having to wait for a fast service to Manchester to overtake, why not simply hold them at Halifax ?

Obviously, except the hourly stopper via Brighouse.

If a new platform is needed, then the disused Platform 3 could be brought back into use. Fortunately now it isn't occupied by the Eureka Nursery which vacated it shortly after the pandemic or before, anyway its not there now so it won't be neccessary to relocate it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Rather than having local passenger trains sitting in a loop here, getting frustrated that they are having to wait for a fast service to Manchester to overtake, why not simply hold them at Halifax ?

Obviously, except the hourly stopper via Brighouse.
The link you have provided clearly says that the service that is planned to be held in the loop is the hourly via Brighouse stopper.

So as you say, it obviously can't be held at Halifax.

1D53

Established Member
The article is from 2022 and the loop never happened.

skyhigh

Established Member
Then hold the services through Halifax and let the hourly stopper continue non stop!
As I understand it, the whole point of the plan was to loop the Elland stoppers to allow the diverted TPE service to overtake. Holding a train at Halifax that wasn't going to be in the way anyway and letting the train that runs in front of the TPE continue is pointless.

Anyway, the plan appears to be dead.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
As I understand it, the whole point of the plan was to loop the Elland stoppers to allow the diverted TPE service to overtake. Holding a train at Halifax that wasn't going to be in the way anyway and letting the train that runs in front of the TPE continue is pointless.

Anyway, the plan appears to be dead.

I think you miss the point here:

Rather than running behind the 'Brighouse Stoppers' because Elland hasn't been built yet, run behind the Halifax Stoppers, but hold them back at Halifax or just at Milner Royd Jct.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I think you miss the point here:

Rather than running behind the 'Brighouse Stoppers' because Elland hasn't been built yet, run behind the Halifax Stoppers, but hold them back at Halifax or just at Milner Royd Jct.
Just to reiterate, whatever ideas were looked at clearly didn't work, because the proposal has been scrapped.

zwk500

Veteran Member
To reiterate something dont you have to iterate it first ? Anyway we dont actually know why it has been scrapped (if it indeed has)
Sorry, poor phrasing. I was reiterating that the loop had been scrapped, which had been iterated in post #3.

1D53

Established Member
Anyway we dont actually know why it has been scrapped (if it indeed has)
It has. Mainly because there isn't enough trains diverted per hour to make it required (as is being proved as we speak).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Timetabling the Calder Valley is difficult because it serves multiple purposes that sometimes conflict, particularly providing the main service between Manchester and Bradford but also aiming to offer a decent service at the intermediate stations to the main destinations of Manchester, Halifax, Bradford and Leeds. An overtaking facility, preferably near the middle of the route, would be of value in improving the timetable with extra service to meet these needs better. The best place for a station overtake would probably be Sowerby Bridge, as I believe it had at least one extra through platform in the past, but looks like it would need major work to reinstate it now. Alternatively, there was a four-track section east of Hebden Bridge which I assume would be where the OP's loop would have been sited.

However, as has been made clear, the loop isn't happening and (other than TPE diversions) any extra services aren't either.

Geeves

Established Member
I think they made a mistake when they rebuilt Rochdale in creating a bay vs a through platform that could be used when the terminating train was not around. It would have added so much more flexibility for overtakes!

The other place for me (and agree with Edwin above) would be at Hebden Bridge, one loop could be created easily as the track is there in the form of a turn back (thats facing the wrong direction) The Blackpool trains are forever getting stuck behind late trains out there

D6130

Established Member
The other place for me (and agree with Edwin above) would be at Hebden Bridge, one loop could be created easily as the track is there in the form of a turn back (thats facing the wrong direction) The Blackpool trains are forever getting stuck behind late trains out there
Agreed. The Up refuge siding at Hebden Bridge is the reamining portion of the slow line from Mytholmroyd - which was effectively a one-and-a-half mile long loop - and could be reinstated relatively easily, with slight realignment of the existing Up line and moving a couple of signals. However it wouldn't be much use for recessing freight trains - except in emergency - as these are all now capable of running at 60 mph and are best kept moving to minimise passenger train delays.

D6130

Established Member
The "Turn back" was used as a Tamper Stabling point in the 90's and later. Do not know if that is still the case.
It still is from time to time. It's also used for recessing passenger trains terminating at Hebden Bridge during engineering works or other disruption.