• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Euston Lounge

metrail

Hiya,

I am going London to Inverness and Fort William to London in March using club rooms. Doing this now as I have a progressive health condition that is likely to make this impossible soon. So making the most of things followed by a 14 day first class rover.

Just viewed a youtube video from a couple of months ago and I saw that Caledonian Sleeper passengers can no longer use the Avanti lounge and have to use a small kiosk on platform one. It also said you have to pay for coffee and snacks.

Is this true? Why? Will this change? The youtuber said it happened due to the company ownership change.

Hoping no strikes on my dates but no grievance to the drivers if there are.

PS: Do you folks think it would be of interest to write a blog about this 17 day tour? Is there a place on the forums to do this?

Best wishes

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barn

Established Member
There is now a dedicated Caledonian Sleeper lounge, but I think it is rather more than a kiosk:

I hope that your trip is a happy one.

metrail

There is now a dedicated Caledonian Sleeper lounge, but I think it is rather more than a kiosk:

I hope that your trip is a happy one.
That's great and open nice and early... Also good that you can buy food before boarding....

Travelmonkey

It is a propper lounge so expect your usual lounge amenities soft drinks and snacks, do raid a few cans from the fridge (soft drinks & water) and they have a paid menu if your a bit more hungry you can also enjoy food in the lounge car on your train,

I've only done the lowlander at this point but it is a great experience,

* there is a trip report segment on the main page your write up would fit well there*

I hope you have lots of fun on this mammoth adventure and make your connections too.

*photo monkey with a free coffee in the Euston lounge*

Attachments

• 20240112_204331.jpg
    20240112_204331.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52

metrail

It is a propper lounge so expect your usual lounge amenities soft drinks and snacks, do raid a few cans from the fridge (soft drinks & water) and they have a paid menu if your a bit more hungry you can also enjoy food in the lounge car on your train,

I've only done the lowlander at this point but it is a great experience,

* there is a trip report segment on the main page your write up would fit well there*

I hope you have lots of fun on this mammoth adventure and make your connections too.

*photo monkey with a free coffee in the Euston lounge*
Thanks... Much happier now :)

JamieL

I used the lounge yesterday and confirm it is fantastic. Complimentary light drinks and a paid food/alcohol drink menu. The ability to buy food before boarding works well - much better than the scram for the Club Car onboard and allows a little more time between eating and sleep.

My only snag was getting on platform 1. When I arrived there was a Picadilly bound Pendalino on the platform and the Avanti staff weren't letting anyone on the platform. However, when that started boarding I got to the lounge.

Regardless, the new arrangement also makes boarding better - no more scram at the Gateside at 2030 to get onboard - instead passengers are called forward by coach number.

Last edited:

metrail

I used the lounge yesterday and confirm it is fantastic. Complimentary light drinks and a paid food/alcohol drink menu. The ability to buy food before boarding works well - much better than the scram for the Club Car onboard and allows a little more time between eating and sleep.

My only snag was getting on platform 1. When I arrived there was a Picadilly bound Pendalino on the platform and the Avanti staff weren't letting anyone on the platform. However, when that started boarding I got to the lounge.

Regardless, the new arrangement also makes boarding better - no more scram at the Gateside at 2030 to get onboard - instead passengers are called forward by coach number.
Sounds wonderful. Can't wait. I last went on it in 1999 and the Night riviera one in the 80's..

JamieL

can you really not use the avanti lounge anymore?, going to miss the snacks on offer :(
The new lounge also has free snacks - crisps etc - but the big improvement over the Avanti lounge is the ability to buy substantive meals. Personally I think its a big improvement.

My only concern is the lounge seems quite small. It was comfortably occupied yesterday but conscious this is off season- will be interesting to see how busy it is high Summer.

popeter45

The new lounge also has free snacks - crisps etc - but the big improvement over the Avanti lounge is the ability to buy substantive meals. Personally I think its a big improvement.

My only concern is the lounge seems quite small. It was comfortably occupied yesterday but conscious this is off season- will be interesting to see how busy it is high Summer.
taking it this friday so will check capacity as i suspect thats one of the more popular days to travel North

metrail

Is it true that they have stopped providing the toiletries in the club rooms (pillow spray etc), and just the eye mask, soap and plugs? WHY?

metrail

They have installed dispensers within the ensuite.
I have just had a reply from Customer support and they confirm "We no longer provide the pillow sprays etc within the rooms unfortunately, I can understand the disappointment with that, I will pass your comments on to the relevant team for any opportunities for change in the future"..

To me its just penny pinching. Looking at social media, these things are highlighted the most , by customers as a novel thing on a train and meet with approval. Gives that special feel to the journey and souvenir type thing