• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian stations temporarily closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmh

Established Member
What would happen to someone who has a ticket to one of these stations bought before closure announced? Want the in theory answer, and the in practice answer, if different. Like many on here, I think these rules and most of them at moment not just on railways, are stupid.

In theory you could get a refund or travel to a nearby station. In practice though, nobody will have a ticket to the ones in Wales. Of the ones in England I only know Earlestown so I wouldn't know. I expect it's far more likely to have for example season ticket users, of which the likes of Conwy and Valley will have none.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
What would happen to someone who has a ticket to one of these stations bought before closure announced? Want the in theory answer, and the in practice answer, if different. Like many on here, I think these rules and most of them at moment not just on railways, are stupid.
The 'in theory' answer is that you are entitled to alternative transport and/or delay compensation as appropriate.

The 'in practice' answer is that you will be told that they have the right to unilaterally change the timetable without notification or compensation, and so they're doing nothing wrong. Oh, and that you should have checked their JourneyCheck website before setting out, didn't you know, so it's your fault anyway.

Of course 'in practice' can become aligned with 'in theory' if the matter is 'suitably' escalated.

Starmill

Veteran Member
In order to work a train calling at platform 4 at Earlestown the guard would need to walk through the saloon to the middle. Perhaps TfW trains aren't stopping at this platform as a result?

Earlestown station isn't "closed" though. TfW haven't been very clear but it looks like their trains are stopping still.

Newton-le-Willows station is just down the road from Earlestown.

Llandudno

Established Member
Is there really any point in TfW running any trains at the moment until Drakeford opens up the tourism and hospitality industry.

The more stations TfW close the fewer passengers they get.

What’s next to close Cardiff Central?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Is there really any point in TfW running any trains at the moment until Drakeford opens up the tourism and hospitality industry.

You realise they are closing stations for Social Distancing purposes to enable safe door access to and from platforms including the prevention pf people alighting and disembarking from coming too close together and the fact the conductor must always use a different door. All doors in use must be accessible to the platforms and fully monitored. They are not being closed just for fun.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
People can have doubts as to the reasons for these restrictions and perhaps speculate but TFW have not explained the reasons in detail which I'm sure are perfectly valid.

mmh

Established Member
How many other TOCs that call at local door only stations have decided they're just going to shun those places and not serve them at all? I'm not aware of any.

Either TfW are completely overreacting, or the other TOCs are putting their staff in grave danger. If it's the latter, why haven't the unions kicked off about this and demanded all local door only stations to be closed across the network?

TFW is the only TOC which calls at local door only stations under legislation which demands that employers must implement any reasonable measures possible to allow employees to stay 2m apart from others.

Llandudno

Established Member

I don’t think it is much of an issue at Sugar Loaf...!

Status
Not open for further replies.