• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anyone could help me with this query ...

I'm travelling to Cambridge and back on Saturday - on the outward journey I'm going via Stratford and Stansted Mountfitchet and on the way back I'm going via the ECML and Kings Cross.

My question is - how often to the 365s run to/from Cambridge on a Saturday - especially this Saturday.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
Via Stratford and Stansted Mountfitchet...? That's a funny route. Why not go direct from Liv St and get there much quicker?

You won't have to wait long if you want a Cl365 back to London as most services are formed of these units. However, I would always check for engineering works if you're travelling on a weekend, otherwise you could be making the trip by bus.

O L Leigh

mumrar

Established Member

I'm travelling to Cambridge and back on Saturday - on the outward journey I'm going via Stratford and Stansted Mountfitchet and on the way back I'm going via the ECML and Kings Cross.

My question is - how often to the 365s run to/from Cambridge on a Saturday - especially this Saturday.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Ryan
The 365 units join/diverge from the Stansted Mountfitchet route at Shelford junction, and when you say via the ECML, do you mean changing at Stevenage? That's the 365s regular route and I think frequency is around 4tph each direction. None of this has been looked up and is based on passing observation as an XC Turbo guard through there, so I may not be correct.

Via Stratford and Stansted Mountfitchet...? That's a funny route. Why not go direct from Liv St and get there much quicker?

You won't have to wait long if you want a Cl365 back to London as most services are formed of these units. However, I would always check for engineering works if you're travelling on a weekend, otherwise you could be making the trip by bus.

O L Leigh

The 365 units join/diverge from the Stansted Mountfitchet route at Shelford junction, and when you say via the ECML, do you mean changing at Stevenage? That's the 365s regular route and I think frequency is around 4tph each direction. None of this has been looked up and is based on passing observation as an XC Turbo guard through there, so I may not be correct.

O L Leigh:

My outward journey is as follows:

Sheerness - Sittingbourne
Sittingbourne - Stratford International
Stratford - Stansted Mountfitchet

I'm meeting friends at Stansted Mountfitchet so will head onto Cambridge from there.

As for engineering works - I've checked FCC's website, there are closures this weekend but NRES says my route won't be affected - most probably be diverted via the Hertford Loop which would be a bonus - extra track covered!

mumrar:

I meant CBG - KGX via SVG. Looks like the trains from King's Lynn call at CBG then semi-fast to KGX.

Thanks for the replies so far! :)

O L Leigh

Established Member
Dear god in heaven above. Take a book with you for the WA leg of your journey. From Stratford to Cambridge you're only going to skip four stations in total.

O L Leigh

Big Chris

I've travelled to Kings Cross from Cambridge two out of the last three weekends. Services have all been 365's infact I'm a regular traveller on that route and I've only seen 365s on the Cambridge fasts for over a year. On weekends there is no Cmabridge cruiser and I have been diverted over the loop on all six journeys I've made in the last three weeks. They are half hourly and tend to leave around quarter to and quarter past the hour

Dear god in heaven above. Take a book with you for the WA leg of your journey. From Stratford to Cambridge you're only going to skip four stations in total.

O L Leigh

That's the best route that both NRES and Southeastern's Journey Planner have suggested!

I know it's not the quickest but it's the best I can do with the trains available to me!

I'll have my iPod, BlackBerry and camera with me, no need for a book! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've travelled to Kings Cross from Cambridge two out of the last three weekends. Services have all been 365's infact I'm a regular traveller on that route and I've only seen 365s on the Cambridge fasts for over a year. On weekends there is no Cmabridge cruiser and I have been diverted over the loop on all six journeys I've made in the last three weeks. They are half hourly and tend to leave around quarter to and quarter past the hour

Thanks for this - NRES seems to agree! :D

O L Leigh

Established Member
Yes I know. The Stratfords get to Tottenham Hale just after the semi-fast Cambridge has left. Wherever you choose to change you will still end up on the same slow Cambridge and get there no quicker. It's not a great journey to attempt.

O L Leigh

Royston Vasey

Established Member

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Ryan

100% 365. The fasts are on 15 and 45 past the hour and are non-stop. Semi-fasts in between and are almost always 365 at weekends.

However there appears to some alterations after the 1415 departure on Saturday, which I think is what Big Chris is referring to, with slightly elongated journey times even on the semis. Presumably Hertford Loop diversions after Stevenage, but nothing for you to worry about.

100% 365. The fasts are on 15 and 45 past the hour and are non-stop. Semi-fasts in between and are almost always 365 at weekends.

However there appears to some alterations after the 1415 departure on Saturday, which I think is what Big Chris is referring to, with slightly elongated journey times even on the semis. Presumably Hertford Loop diversions after Stevenage, but nothing for you to worry about.

Thanks Royston Vasey for your post. I'm glad there are no 317s around by the sound of it.

LE Greys

Established Member
From Cambridge, this Saturday's timetable should be: XX:04 semi-fast to King's Cross, calling Royston, Baldock, Letchworth, Hitchin, Stevenage, Finsbury Park; XX:28 local to King's Cross, Royston, Baldock, Letchworth, Hitchin, Stevenage, Knebworth, Welwyn North, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, Potter's Bar, Finsbury Park; and XX:44 all stations to Royston. I'm guessing that the XX:04 comes through from King's Lynn, since the usual non-stopper seems to have disappeared and a train from Lynn arrives at XX:00. Not sure why this has happened, the timetable hadn't changed for over a decade.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That's only after 3pm- before then the normal timetable is in operation.

I'd suggest that it it would be less painful to meet your friends at Cambridge- stay on the High Speed to St Pancras, take the short walk across the road to Kings Cross, get lucky if the next Cambridge train is from the "suburban" platforms and be pleased at the 45-50 minute joy of the Cambridge Express.

That's only after 3pm- before then the normal timetable is in operation.

I'd suggest that it it would be less painful to meet your friends at Cambridge- stay on the High Speed to St Pancras, take the short walk across the road to Kings Cross, get lucky if the next Cambridge train is from the "suburban" platforms and be pleased at the 45-50 minute joy of the Cambridge Express.

Thanks for the suggestion - but by going there via the WA I'm covering some new routes that I've not done before. I know going to CBG makes sense going via ECML but there is a method behind my madness!

Aictos

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestion - but by going there via the WA I'm covering some new routes that I've not done before. I know going to CBG makes sense going via ECML but there is a method behind my madness!

Well you certainly will be going via my line after 3pm though as all services are booked to go that way until 0445 I think on Monday morning.

I could say I agree with your madness as even though I could have nipped across to Moorgate from Liverpool Street when I went for some assessments at NXEA's academy, I had a pass entitling me to free travel on their services for that day to get me to and from the place so though I might as well use the Liverpool Street to Peterborough service via Ipswich - certainly a long 3 hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.