• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 150 Preservation Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern Rail, Arriva Trains Wales and First Great Western are all preserving 150s and using them for passenger service at the time.

Z12XE

I cant see there being a need just yet, at the current rate it will be 20 years until they think about withdrawing them.

Ditto Pacers, although it would appear that they will be used until they fall apart, at which point the pieces will be taken away in a skip, no chance of preserving them!!

GospelOak117

I hope some 150's do survive another 20 years :) Does anyone know of their mechanical condition at this time? Which toc's fleet are in best or worst condition etc.

I will certainly miss the London 150's :(

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Until the 150s are threatened with retirement, you might do well to start an NIR Class 450 Preservation Group. They're for the chop just as soon as the C4K fleet starts to arrive, are mechanically much more interesting and (if you squint) kinda look like a 150 :D

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Waiting for years to set up a preservation group must be a real pain...

So why not have a whip round and contact Bombardier now, and get a quote for an extra 172? Then it could go straight to preservation, wouldn't even need to be given a boring old TOC livery... :roll:

Drsatan

Established Member
Since no new rolling stock's in the pipeline it'll be another 20-30 years before they're replaced. Hopefully the Pacers will have been withdrawn by then (and a few preserved).

MCR247

Established Member
So why not have a whip round and contact Bombardier now, and get a quote for an extra 172? Then it could go straight to preservation, wouldn't even need to be given a boring old TOC livery... :roll:

The 172 would just mean they'd have to wait even longer for it to be preserved at the rate bombardier are going :roll:

rail-britain

Established Member
Since no new rolling stock's in the pipeline it'll be another 20-30 years before they're replaced. Hopefully the Pacers will have been withdrawn by then
If all goes to plan, ScotRail will be releasing the vast majority of its Class 156 and some Class 158 units in about 5 to 10 years time
This could see many Class 14x units replaced, I am quite sure the TOCs will be falling over themselves for the 156s!

Ironically, many other electrification projects for England would have seen DMUs replaced by EMUs, but that all looks far off now...

rail-britain

Established Member
How do Scotrail plan to do this?
Central Scotland and Glasgow South electrification
The Central Scotland phase has been approved and should be completed by 2015
The Glasgow South will then follow two years later

The Central Scotland electrification will release Class 158 and 170 units, but the majority of these units will be retained, cascading to replace Class 156 units

MrWhippyO

Surely Pendolino's don't need a preservation group? I thought they were still in production and used nearly everywhere.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect that TDK forgot to use the sarcasm tags :lol:

Edit: Then again I could have missed your sarcasm tags :oops::lol:

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
I am quite sure the TOCs will be falling over themselves for the 156s!

What makes the 156 so popular amongst TOCS?

As a passenger I've always found them to be a welcome sight - solid, reliable, comfortable.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though... It would have perhaps been better to have specified them with a little more "oomph" and built with 90mph operation in mind (rather than just simply being capable of 90mph when coaxed ;) ) Given their regular reformation into hybrid 3 car sets, a batch should really have been built as 3-car sets originally - ideally with 2 loos on board for the WHL and similar duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.