• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 PBC Unit and PIS system

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WMasterJedi

Class 365 displays extremely similar
I’m very familiar with 365 displays as I have 3 of them.

They show class 465 as instead of making new ones they just put the same ones that were put in 465s on the 365s.

Attachments

• IMG_5146.jpeg
    IMG_5146.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

RacsoMoquette

Did the Class 365s ever have the Static "XX TO CANNON STREET" at the beginning or something similar for the GN route?
Why did the Class 465s have a number prefix before the Destination on the external and internal displays?
The Class 465s seemed to have a different sequence than the 365s, would anybody bear a clip of a Class 365 PIS in WAGN or even NSE days?

365 Networker

Some more 365 PIS equipment on ebay currently:-

would anybody bear a clip of a Class 365 PIS in WAGN or even NSE days?
I've got an audio clip of the original WAGN announcement from Cambridge (I've also got one from Peterborough, but I can't find it currently).

Attachments

• WAGN Cambridge to Kings Cross.mp4
    351 KB

RacsoMoquette

Absolutely Splendid Recording! Though Blondon Kings Cross was not present? Julie Berry sounds extremely similar to the Class 465 recordings above! I think when the announcements were changed to "This Train Is For X" the Blondon Kings Cross emerged due to poor spacing between words! Would you by any chance bear a recording northbound to Cambridge or Peterbourgh from Kings Cross?

Last edited:

WMasterJedi

I've got an audio clip of the original WAGN announcement from Cambridge (I've also got one from Peterborough, but I can't find it currently).
The PA unit in the link that you sent is what actually holds the announcements, It would be interesting to get one as I'd probably be able to get it working, however I'd mainly just get one to read the announcement EPROMs.

365 Networker

Absolutely Splendid Recording! Though Blondon Kings Cross was not present? Julie Berry sounds extremely similar to the Class 465 recordings above! I think when the announcements were changed to "This Train Is For X" the Blondon Kings Cross emerged due to poor spacing between words! Would you by any chance bear a recording northbound to Cambridge or Peterbourgh from Kings Cross?
The "bLondon Kings Cross" announcement was always there from new - originally this only used to play at intermediate stations. The only thing that changed was that FCC removed the Welcome message and replaced it with "this train is for bLondon Kings Cross via Stevenage". It was only during the Great Northern franchise that the Welcome message was reinstated (from about 2017). Unfortunately I don't have any northbound recordings.
The PA unit in the link that you sent is what actually holds the announcements, It would be interesting to get one as I'd probably be able to get it working, however I'd mainly just get one to read the announcement EPROMs.
It certainly would be! Do you already have some announcement EPROMs then?

WMasterJedi

HAHA! I’ve found someone who said I could have the announcement EPROMs from his PIS announcement unit for £10!

WMasterJedi

Attachments

• IMG_20240505_190227.jpeg
    IMG_20240505_190227.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240505_190203.jpeg
    IMG_20240505_190203.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240505_190212.jpeg
    IMG_20240505_190212.jpeg
    961.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240505_190323.jpeg
    IMG_20240505_190323.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Not a bad price - it might be a good idea to get the whole set - the other parts might be required for playing the audio.
Assuming there is not any sort of further encryption, the audio samples ideally need to be extracted using a suitable EPROM reader and converted into WAV format if it is to be preserved for the future.

WMasterJedi

Little update.

Was trying some destination codes on my new controller and although none work as its not master.
They did show stations like faversham and ramsgate.

So this may be a Connex controller.

WMasterJedi

Little update.

Was trying some destination codes on my new controller and although none work as its not master.
They did show stations like faversham and ramsgate.

So this may be a Connex controller.
As good as that sounds this might cause a problem as the screen may not have those destinations LED data on its EPROM.

D365

Veteran Member
However the Class 465s initially had red characters in their internal displays, so did they have a different system supplier?
The Networker PIS was supplied by Jasmin Electronics. I’d have to talk to an acquaintance for any further information, or to find out whether or not they are still a going concern.

365 Networker

As good as that sounds this might cause a problem as the screen may not have those destinations LED data on its EPROM.
Very interesting- I did think that could be the case when I saw the sticker “Software not compatible with Hornsey”. Do the EPROMs in the destination box have labels? Considering the announcement ones contain both Great Northern and Connex I wouldn't be surprised if the destination box was the same. If all else fails I suspect you would possibly be able to get your original controller working again. Most of these types of systems will have a reset code - perhaps try reseating the EPROM chips if possible, hold down “CAN” for 3 seconds etc. I‘m certain the manual would have instructions for what to do - so hopefully one turns up at some point. I have seen them on eBay a few times - I narrowly missed out on an original ABB one a few years ago!

WMasterJedi

Very interesting- I did think that could be the case when I saw the sticker “Software not compatible with Hornsey”. Do the EPROMs in the destination box have labels? Considering the announcement ones contain both Great Northern and Connex I wouldn't be surprised if the destination box was the same. If all else fails I suspect you would possibly be able to get your original controller working again. Most of these types of systems will have a reset code - perhaps try reseating the EPROM chips if possible, hold down “CAN” for 3 seconds etc. I‘m certain the manual would have instructions for what to do - so hopefully one turns up at some point. I have seen them on eBay a few times - I narrowly missed out on an original ABB one a few years ago!
Can’t remember who, but someone messages me saying that on 465s there was a sort of secret menu to do similar things but the code didn’t work.

It was Can, Can, 1, 4, 6, 5
The code didn’t work.
Although normally pressing 1 will enter a menu however when I pressed can twice pressing 1 didn’t do anything so I’m assuming pressing can twice will stop input going to the menu and instead use it as input.

WMasterJedi

I will keep my eyes peeled as a manual would come in very handy.

WMasterJedi

With my previous message that you replied to, I may be wrong and the controller may work with the screen as otherwise when they updated the destinations they would of needed to do it for the controller and screen so I suspect the data is actually stored on the controller.