• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

duncanp

Established Member
That's not what Caramac is though. The clue is in the name, it's basically caramel-flavoured, barely-chocolate.

It is however quite tasty, so isn't covered by the White Chocolate Banning Act 2021.

Yes! I wish for all people to be permitted to slap anyone who says "Robin Reliant" with a wet rubber glove!

Sorry for getting it the wrong way round.

Shall we start World War 3 by debating whether
  • Scone should be pronounced "Sconn" or "Scoan"
  • you put jam or cream on the scone first in a cream tea <D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Worthy of a thread in itself. I can explain to cream-first types why they are so unbelievably wrong :lol:

And the Palace of Scone in Scotland is pronouned "Scoon", as is the Stone of Scone on which Scottish kings were crowned.

gg1

Established Member
Sorry for getting it the wrong way round.

Shall we start World War 3 by debating whether
  • Scone should be pronounced "Sconn" or "Scoan"
We had that one earlier in the thread :lol:

It is of course a pointless conversation as all right thinking people know Scone rhymes with Stone.

Calthrop

Established Member
And the Palace of Scone in Scotland is pronouned "Scoon", as is the Stone of Scone on which Scottish kings were crowned.

Entrepreneurial idea: open very close to that palace, a tea-shop called Scone Scones; with a specific mission to introduce the Scots to the joys of that characteristically south-of-England comestible, and all that goes with it. One might imagine the speedy development of vicious partisan wars between those who favoured respectively jam first / cream first <D .

py_megapixel

Established Member
Places that serve you tea in a cup with boiling water/teabag, rather than a proper pot.
Teapots are a faff. Just stick some water over a teabag in the mug, chuck some milk in (or do that before if that's your thing) and call it a day.

I reject the assertion made by some that teapots make the tea taste better. If anything, they result in ultimately worse tea, because if you want multiple cups of tea throughout the day and make a pot then the tea will either have to be cold or microwaved later in the day.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm with you there on teapots, what a ludicrous idea. I shared a teapot of, well, tea last week and it's such a strange idea to me. I'd rather just put my teabag into the mug, add the water and let it brew for as long as I desire.

On a related note, one for the list has to be:

People adding milk to tea when you specifically ask for black tea. If you're not sure if I want milk, just ask before automatically doing it. I don't take milk, plant based or not, in my tea as it ruins the experience and taste. Same applies to coffee, I used to love milk in my coffee but my tastes changed and now I can't stand it. Doesn't matter what milk it is, whether it's hot or not, whatever. My view is tea and coffee work best on their own with nothing added to them.

I'd also ban their disapproval at having to make the drink again after they foolishly added milk to it without asking. I had it happen 3 times in the space of a month, all in the east of England too. Coincidence, no doubt, but still!

I've no doubt mentioned it before, but those cheap teabags Greggs use that break open after just a few minutes in the water need banning. I appreciate Greggs selling tea for cheap prices, but I don't appreciate a mouthful of bitter tea leaves!

DelW

Established Member
Places that serve you tea in a cup with boiling water/teabag, rather than a proper pot.
Even worse if it's not-boiling water, as is too often the case.

Teapots are a faff. Just stick some water over a teabag in the mug, chuck some milk in (or do that before if that's your thing) and call it a day.

I reject the assertion made by some that teapots make the tea taste better. If anything, they result in ultimately worse tea, because if you want multiple cups of tea throughout the day and make a pot then the tea will either have to be cold or microwaved later in the day.
Loose tea and an infuser teapot are my ideal - tea bags are not very eco-friendly, and tend to be filled with poorer-quality tea than that sold loose (no doubt there are exceptions).

If I want two cups fairly close together, I pour one from the teapot direct into the cup, and another into a small vacuum flask for drinking an hour or two later.

BanburyBlue

Even worse if it's not-boiling water, as is too often the case.

Loose tea and an infuser teapot are my ideal - tea bags are not very eco-friendly, and tend to be filled with poorer-quality tea than that sold loose (no doubt there are exceptions).

If I want two cups fairly close together, I pour one from the teapot direct into the cup, and another into a small vacuum flask for drinking an hour or two later.
Yes, quite common on the continent, where they often fill your cup with hot water and put the teabag on the saucer. No chance of getting much colour out of that when you get to your table.

Happy with people's preference, but teapot tea & teabag in cup tea, do taste different.

We buy Clipper tea bags, which are quite expensive I know. But at least the bags are properly compostable.

gg1

Established Member
Yes, quite common on the continent, where they often fill your cup with hot water and put the teabag on the saucer. No chance of getting much colour out of that when you get to your table.
Standard in the US too.

Happy with people's preference, but teapot tea & teabag in cup tea, do taste different.
I really can't tell the difference tbh, although when I make a cuppa I always leaving it brewing for around 10 minutes before removing the bag and adding milk which probably more closely approximates the conditions of tea made in a pot.

BanburyBlue

Standard in the US too.

I really can't tell the difference tbh, although when I make a cuppa I always leaving it brewing for around 10 minutes before removing the bag and adding milk which probably more closely approximates the conditions of tea made in a pot.
'Tea bag in a cup' tea always tastes intense to me. I'm wondering if that is because there is a lot more water in your teapot, so possibly watered down a bit?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Politicians trying to be comedians.

Rishi Sunak has just announced tax incentives for ships flying the red ensign... presumably just so he could get his jibe about "keeping the red flag flying" in.

**** off and stick to your day job. <(

gg1

Established Member
'Tea bag in a cup' tea always tastes intense to me. I'm wondering if that is because there is a lot more water in your teapot, so possibly watered down a bit?
That might be another way my cuppas are more pot like. The mugs I use at home are larger than average, I'd guess around 450ml compared to normal mugs which are more like 350ml.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On the subject of tea, places that do a pot of tea, but then only provide enough hot water for one dainty little cup.

Politicians trying to be comedians.

Rishi Sunak has just announced tax incentives for ships flying the red ensign... presumably just so he could get his jibe about "keeping the red flag flying" in.

**** off and stick to your day job. <(

To be fair, if it leads to fewer ships sailing under a flag of convenience, it's not a bad idea. (Had to chuckle at the joke as well).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
To be fair, if it leads to fewer ships sailing under a flag of convenience, it's not a bad idea. (Had to chuckle at the joke as well).
Boris Johnson's awkward Kermit the Frog thing the other week has ruined politicians being witty. From now on if they display any more personality than Gordon Brown, they go in the stocks.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry, but that makes me wince. Apart from the fact that the Trotters had a Reliant Regal, it irritates me intensely when people say "Robin Reliant". Fiesta Ford, Corsa Vauxhall and Clio Renault would all sound a bit daft if said that way round, so I don't know why people constantly get the poor Robin's name round the wrong way! :)
My theory was that because Jasper Carrott made almost a whole career out of jokes about them, he intentionally said the name backwards to avoid the Reliant lawyers!

MidlandsChap

Gents hair cuts that take more than 10 minutes. Alternatively charge haircuts on a per minute basis.
The word 'literally' and the phrase 'it is what it is'.
Powerplates. All they do is irritate other gym users by vibrating the floor.
That fellow from the Cinch advert.

duncanp

Established Member
Gents hair cuts that take more than 10 minutes. Alternatively charge haircuts on a per minute basis.
The word 'literally' and the phrase 'it is what it is'.
Powerplates. All they do is irritate other gym users by vibrating the floor.
That fellow from the Cinch advert.

Ban Christmas adverts on the TV in OCTOBER, like this one from Very.

Just NO. <( <( <(

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
My theory was that because Jasper Carrott made almost a whole career out of jokes about them, he intentionally said the name backwards to avoid the Reliant lawyers!
I knew I'd heard somebody on telly referring to it backwards, but couldn't remember who it was!

Ban Christmas adverts on the TV in OCTOBER, like this one from Very.

Just NO. <( <( <(

Just ban Christmas altogether.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

We buy Clipper tea bags, which are quite expensive I know. But at least the bags are properly compostable.

When making tea, you are meant to pour freshly boiled water into the mug that already has a teabag, or into the teapot that already has loose tea or teabags (number of cups plus one) having warmed the teapot first.

xotGD

Established Member
I'm with you there on teapots, what a ludicrous idea. I shared a teapot of, well, tea last week and it's such a strange idea to me. I'd rather just put my teabag into the mug, add the water and let it brew for as long as I desire.

On a related note, one for the list has to be:

People adding milk to tea when you specifically ask for black tea. If you're not sure if I want milk, just ask before automatically doing it. I don't take milk, plant based or not, in my tea as it ruins the experience and taste. Same applies to coffee, I used to love milk in my coffee but my tastes changed and now I can't stand it. Doesn't matter what milk it is, whether it's hot or not, whatever. My view is tea and coffee work best on their own with nothing added to them.

I'd also ban their disapproval at having to make the drink again after they foolishly added milk to it without asking. I had it happen 3 times in the space of a month, all in the east of England too. Coincidence, no doubt, but still!

I've no doubt mentioned it before, but those cheap teabags Greggs use that break open after just a few minutes in the water need banning. I appreciate Greggs selling tea for cheap prices, but I don't appreciate a mouthful of bitter tea leaves!
I can see what is going wrong here. Black tea isn't tea without milk. It is a type of tea (cf green tea). Therefore you are being served black tea with milk.

I want to ban people who think I am weird for wanting green tea with milk, by the way.

BanburyBlue

When making tea, you are meant to pour freshly boiled water into the mug that already has a teabag, or into the teapot that already has loose tea or teabags (number of cups plus one) having warmed the teapot first.
I know - trying hard not to scream “put the bl**dy teabag in the cup”

I can see what is going wrong here. Black tea isn't tea without milk. It is a type of tea (cf green tea). Therefore you are being served black tea with milk.

I want to ban people who think I am weird for wanting green tea with milk, by the way.
My wife’s ex-boss used to have Earl Grey with milk and sugar.