• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

AM9

Veteran Member
Then why not say "debit cards only" or some such thing. Debit cards are more popular anyway.

Rental? The card machine?
£35 for card transactions? How much turnover per month did you have? Sorry if that's too nosey though!
Who says debit cards are more popular? Most people that I know use credit cards all the time for minor purchases, then pay for hem off every month. In my case, it's a John Lewis card on which I get points leading to JL vouchers.
Aside to that, it is against the law to charge purchasers a debit or a credit card surcharge in Europe including the UK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cb a1

Who says debit cards are more popular? Most people that I know use credit cards all the time for minor purchases, then pay for hem off every month. In my case, it's a John Lewis card on which I get points leading to JL vouchers.
Aside to that, it is against the law to charge purchasers a debit or a credit card surcharge in Europe including the UK.
If I'm reading that report correctly, debit card spending is about 3 times that of credit card spending.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Who mentioned a surcharge?
I think the point was that the retailer gets charged a fee for card transactions, but it's against the law for them to pass that cost on to the customer (unless they raise the prices for all customers, not just those paying by card).

westv

Established Member
I think the point was that the retailer gets charged a fee for card transactions, but it's against the law for them to pass that cost on to the customer (unless they raise the prices for all customers, not just those paying by card).
But there's the convenience for both customer and retailer. The transaction goes straight into the retailer's account and the customer doesn't end up with pockets full of loose change and can easily see the transaction on their bank statement.
And cash isn't totally "fee free" either.

AM9

Veteran Member
But there's the convenience for both customer and retailer. The transaction goes straight into the retailer's account and the customer doesn't end up with pockets full of loose change and can easily see the transaction on their bank statement.
And cash isn't totally "fee free" either.
That's irrelevant to the legal position that retailers cannot have differential prices charged to customers based on thbusiness's cost of receiving payments. Also as you will find in mant threads here, quiote a few members of the public are quite used to carrying cash and using it, and as with card payments, the business carries the cost of each method their customers use.
Payment for retail goods and services has been clearly defined for many years. Decades ago, when plastic cards were new, there were many attempts to differentiate between credit and debit card use in retail. Both cards usually placed a basic handling charge per transaction on the retailer, whereas credit card issuers added the equivalent of the first 4-6 weeks of interes that roughly equated to the 'free credit' period before the holder's statement payment deadline. Sometime in the '70s ISTR, the banks largely equalised this charge. A few years later the government forced the banks to create student and low earner bank accounts which were likely to be less profitable than regular types. The banks response was to return to differential charges for debit and credit acounts. A few years later the EC/EU legislated that all transaction costs should be boren by the businesses involved. Gratefully, this legislation is still in force in post-brexit UK.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If I'm reading that report correctly, debit card spending is about 3 times that of credit card spending.
...and I don't even have a credit card ( by choice ); just a debit card. If I haven't got it, I don't spend it... :)

birchesgreen

Established Member
I have a credit card but i only use it occaisionally and always pay it off - not missing once in the 20-odd years i'be had it, AMEX must despise me.

jon81uk

Not seen many, but signs in shops saying"cash please. We paid £xxx last week in card fees"
It just makes me think they must have quite a lot of money coming in.

Not necessarily. The hairdresser that I go to says that card charges per month are the equivalent to giving three free haircuts, (c. £75). That's how much cash goes to the banks on transactions alone.

But how much are they paying in insurance for the cash held on the premises, or the bank fees for paying in cash and collecting change?

I've read before about a pub that went card only after it was broken into several times and cash stolen (or attempted theft) and the hike in insurance costs made it not worth taking cash.

westv

Established Member
That's irrelevant to the legal position that retailers cannot have differential prices charged to customers based on thbusiness's cost of receiving payments. Also as you will find in mant threads here, quiote a few members of the public are quite used to carrying cash and using it, and as with card payments, the business carries the cost of each method their customers use.
Payment for retail goods and services has been clearly defined for many years. Decades ago, when plastic cards were new, there were many attempts to differentiate between credit and debit card use in retail. Both cards usually placed a basic handling charge per transaction on the retailer, whereas credit card issuers added the equivalent of the first 4-6 weeks of interes that roughly equated to the 'free credit' period before the holder's statement payment deadline. Sometime in the '70s ISTR, the banks largely equalised this charge. A few years later the government forced the banks to create student and low earner bank accounts which were likely to be less profitable than regular types. The banks response was to return to differential charges for debit and credit acounts. A few years later the EC/EU legislated that all transaction costs should be boren by the businesses involved. Gratefully, this legislation is still in force in post-brexit UK.
I will have to reread that. I'm a little unsure as to how it all that relates to the point I originally made.

dangie

Established Member
BBC website again. Reporting on the total solar eclipse across North America.

'Crowds in US cities, including Dallas, Texas witness the total solar eclipse turn the sky completely dark during the middle of the day'

Nothing like a bit of over exaggeration.

dangie

Established Member
Every Saturday morning my 8 year old grandson goes to swimming lessons. His dad takes him. Obviously they go into the male changing room.

Last week dad couldn’t make it so mum took him instead. She took him into the female changing room as obviously she couldn’t go into the male changing room.

Well now she can’t do that anymore as another mum complained that an 8 year old boy was in the female changing room. As is always the case nowadays if one person complains all have to suffer. Maybe if he wore a blindfold?

ABB125

Established Member
Every Saturday morning my 8 year old grandson goes to swimming lessons. His dad takes him. Obviously they go into the male changing room.

Last week dad couldn’t make it so mum took him instead. She took him into the female changing room as obviously she couldn’t go into the male changing room.

Well now she can’t do that anymore as another mum complained that an 8 year old boy was in the female changing room. As is always the case nowadays if one person complains all have to suffer. Maybe if he wore a blindfold?
It's a difficult question - at what age does a child become "too old" to use facilities designated to the opposite gender?
Not just changing rooms - what about public toilets, such as at motorway services?

I suspect every single person has a different answer to this...

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
What if a person changed their identified gender, so it fitted the changing room?
I really hope this article is a late April Fool...

Young people are now identifying as 'gender season' - meaning their gender changes with time of year:​

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's a difficult question - at what age does a child become "too old" to use facilities designated to the opposite gender?
Not just changing rooms - what about public toilets, such as at motorway services?

I suspect every single person has a different answer to this...
My local pools have signage specifically declaring I believe that children over the age of 9 years are not allowed in changing rooms for the opposite gender.

My preference is for pools to have a large unisex area with lockers etc. shared but the actual changing facilities taking the form of lots of small private cubicles. This seems to be how most new/renovated pools have been set up for a while now but of course there are plenty of older ones around. They do have to be maintained properly though - things like worn-out cubicles that don't lock properly are obviously problematic.

Gloster

Established Member
Those requests for assistance to track down various malefactors that appear in newspapers, often having been sent out by the police, where faces, tattoos or identifying details on cars are blurred or blocked out. How on earth are we going to help you find someone if we don’t know what they look like. Yes, I know about GDPR, but this seems to be something that has only become common recently and we know that they are malefactors.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Those requests for assistance to track down various malefactors that appear in newspapers, often having been sent out by the police, where faces, tattoos or identifying details on cars are blurred or blocked out. How on earth are we going to help you find someone if we don’t know what they look like. Yes, I know about GDPR, but this seems to be something that has only become common recently and we know that they are malefactors.
We don't "know" they are malefactors, as this hasn't been proven in court.

I agree that it's pointless to release the images at all if they have to be rendered useless to comply with GDPR... but it at least allows the authorities to present as if they actually give a stuff!

Gloster

Established Member
And another thing… The increasing habit of producing maps, such as town or tourist ones, that are not orientated so that north is to the top. It has happened from time to when necessary, but it seems to be becoming more common. Anecdotal evidence is that the cads who use CAD to do this think it looks nicer the way they chose to do it. It is not an entry for the Turner Prize, it is something to help people find their way about and clarity is needed if it is going to fulfil its purpose, so a long, long established (yes, even before mobile ‘phones) standard should be adhered to.

dangie

Established Member
And another thing… The increasing habit of producing maps....
While we're on maps.
I'd like the ability to print off street maps, such as Google Maps, OpenStreetMap etc, without the topographical shading. Just simply a clear map of roads & streets etc. If this is already possible please tell me how.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I would ban government press conferences always going to the BBC, ITV, Sky's News and then the rest in that order.

Although go give Rishi Sunak from credit, recently he took a question from the I newspaper first and the BBC last.

In my dictatorship world it would be randomised as to who asked a question first and the order.

I would also make it the law is an event is being sign languaged by a broadcaster they are not allowed to stop until it is over. For example the BBC One news has sign language version on the BBC News Channel but in rare occasions the BBC News Channel ai covering something that us considered so important it means no broadcasting of the BBC One News.

In such situations the signa huger interpreter just sign languages what I'd on the BBC News Channel but stops at the point they usually would.

I would ban news organisations from throwing in a random statement from another political psrt6, just because it is the Purdah season. Every qoute would have to be relevant to the news item. I heard one recently on LBC where they qoute the Conservatives and it clearly sounded like a we must add this qoute for balance even though it's not really that relevant to the news item.

I would ban the practice of newspapers not having to name every local candidate when refering to places during elections. I. E. they would have to have a list of them like they do on TV and radio. I wouldn't ban the lists having to be published though as I think they should be.

I would also ban newspapers being able to publish stuff on election day that TV and radio are not allowed to publish or I would ban the fact TV and radio aren't allowed to publish certain things on election day. A level playing field.

Are any of these light hearted? Probably not but they are certainly things that don't seem to bother others but do irritate me when I think of them.

Finally if I could and money was no object, I would ban the practice of no North Downs Line trains running between Redhill and Gatwick Airport on a Sunday when buses are only replacing trains between Reading and Guildford. It can't be done so I consider it something minor.

GordonT

However, the voice asking you if you want a receipt in the near-ish Sainsbury’s Local is a different one and is almost apologetic.
May or may not be the same voice but I would describe the rendition of this question at my local branch of Sainsbury's as being almost conspiratorial.