• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competency interview

PlexiDriver

Hey everyone,

Has anyone ever had a competency interview?

If so what are the sort of questions they ask, for qualified drivers.

Thanks all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hey everyone,

Has anyone ever had a competency interview?

If so what are the sort of questions they ask, for qualified drivers.

Thanks all!

A competency based interview is just one that normally starts “Please provide us an example of a time (where you had to manage an emergency situation)”.

They normally are best answered using the ‘STAR’ methodology and a good example with useful but clear details.

PlexiDriver

A competency based interview is just one that normally starts “Please provide us an example of a time (where you had to manage an emergency situation)”.

They normally are best answered using the ‘STAR’ methodology and a good example with useful but clear details.
Ah I see! Are there any other scenarios I should prepare? Just ones that often come up?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Ah I see! Are there any other scenarios I should prepare? Just ones that often come up?
Dealt with a fault
Dealt with a difficult situation
Dealt with a passenger who did xyz
Dealt with other out of course situations
How you would deal with degraded working

Etc etc