• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Compulsory ticket area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dockladsrail

as northern has a penalty fare scheme now. A lot of stations are under it. If I am walking through a station like Manchester pic and I am asked for a ticket from a Carlisle support services revenue enforcement officer. Do I actually have to show it or admit I’ve been in the train?

Like what part of Manchester pic is a compulsory ticket area ? Surely it won’t be one considering it’s network rail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
What has the fact that the station is owned/managed by Network Rail got to do with it?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
As far as I am aware, Northern do not operate any Compulsory Ticket Areas, and therefore they can impose no Penalty Fare if you turn up at one of their gatelines ticketless and want to exit, having not travelled. Of course you will be asked how you got in without a ticket!

In any case, whilst Compulsory Ticket Areas apply with respect to stations in general, Penalty Apply only to travel on specific TOCs.

shredder1

Established Member
Of interest you can exit and access the station, inside the barriers via the lift from Mayfield Street, although I have seen inspectors occasionally checking for tickets at the bottom of the lift, street level.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
as northern has a penalty fare scheme now. A lot of stations are under it. If I am walking through a station like Manchester pic and I am asked for a ticket from a Carlisle support services revenue enforcement officer. Do I actually have to show it or admit I’ve been in the train?

Like what part of Manchester pic is a compulsory ticket area ? Surely it won’t be one considering it’s network rail.
A Compulsory Ticket Area (CTA) is an official term for a designated area in which the Railway Byelaws require a ticket to be produced if you are in that area. There are actually very few CTAs outside London and I don't think a CTA can be introduced anywhere without the prior authorisation of the Department for Transport.

This is not necessarily the same thing as a train company requiring a passenger to be in possession of a ticket before allowing entry to a platform, such as Manchester Piccadilly, and the imposition of any such requirement at any particular time does not automatically result in the creation of a CTA.

I don't understand what the references to Network Rail are supposed to mean but clearly there is some misunderstanding as whether or not the station is owned and/or managed by Network Rail or not makes no difference.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The TPE help desk, left luggage, toilets (for when concourse toilets are closed for cleaning) and one or two other bits and pieces are all beyond the gateline.

These are all valid reasons for not presenting a ticket.

I had one daft twerp acknowledge me walk past him (not travelling) and then harass me for a ticket two minutes later when I walked back :lol:

You only need a ticket here if you are or were actually travelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.