• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor role-northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeheys

Hi, I have an interview coming up very soon and was wondering if anybody could tell me, if I am successful am I likely to be placed in a "talent pool" or am I likely to actually get a role? I am new to this forum but have noticed a few people talking about "talent pools".

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hughavinalaf

I do find the idea of a 'talent pool' a bit odd.Surey vacancies should be filled as they become available? To place someone in a position of,what is essentially,limbo..... isn't particularly helpful IMO.

So,this is purely a Northern tactic?

Andrew32

Depends

Some people have got jobs not long after passing their conductor assessments.

I suppose the talent pools are good in a way because if a job came up and Northern had to do a whole recruitment campaign again to fill the role it could take 2 to 3 months to do this.

Being placed in a pool is better than being told that we have all the candidates we require, thanks for applying, doing an interview and conductor assessment but get lost and apply again when vacancies come up again.

Been in one for ten months but I'll get there in the end.

Andrew32

Yeah

Skipton, asked HR to be considered for Manchester a few weeks ago aswell as Skipton, Skipton course is planned for August and Leeds and Manchester every two months.

Been a long wait and attended two interviews but in sure it will be worth it in the end.

Louby

Yeah

Skipton, asked HR to be considered for Manchester a few weeks ago aswell as Skipton, Skipton course is planned for August and Leeds and Manchester every two months.

Been a long wait and attended two interviews but in sure it will be worth it in the end.

I believe skipton is a well sought after position in both drivers and conductors

craigybagel

Established Member
Folks, what is the difference between a conductor and a senior conductor?

Mostly it's just different names from different companies.

At my TOC, we're all Conductors. But down the corridor from the depot where I'm based there is a depot for another TOC that only has Senior Conductors. Some other TOC's have Guards and theres a few who have Train Managers.

As far as the rule book is concerned though, we're all Guards.

I believe though back in BR days there was a distinction, a line of promotion between the two?

At my TOC, we're all Conductors. But down the corridor from the depot where I'm based there is a depot for another TOC that only has Senior Conductors. Some other TOC's have Guards and theres a few who have Train Managers.

I believe though back in BR days there was a distinction, a line of promotion between the two?

Thanks craig.

driver9000

Established Member

When the grade was conceived in the 1988 Traincrew agreement the only distinction is a Senior Conductor job description refers to Intercity trains and First class passengers while the Conductor job description doesn't. Apart from that, the roles are identical to that of Guard which they replaced.

Today it seems to be whatever the TOC decides to name the role, I think only East Midlands uses the Senior Conductor title the rest use Conductor. To most staff you are a Guard.

Last edited:
When the grade was conceived in the 1988 Traincrew agreement the only distinction is a Senior Conductor job description refers to Intercity trains and First class passengers while the Conductor job description doesn't. Apart from that, the roles are identical to that of Guard which they replaced.

Today it seems to be whatever the TOC decides to name the role, I think only East Midlands uses the Senior Conductor title the rest use Conductor. To most staff you are a Guard.

What does a conductor / Guard actually do?

driver9000

Established Member
What does a conductor / Guard actually do?

A Guard is in charge of the train. It is their responsibility to operate the doors, carry out emergency procedures (such as laying detonator protection, contacting the signaller and control) and assist the driver when required. Collecting fares and issuing tickets is only a small part of the job. I'm sure a Guard will be able to give you a full insight into their role on the train but as a Driver I'm certainly glad I work trains with a Guard as they have been a fine help in times I've needed a hand.

A Guard is in charge of the train. It is their responsibility to operate the doors, carry out emergency procedures (such as laying detonator protection, contacting the signaller and control) and assist the driver when required. Collecting fares and issuing tickets is only a small part of the job. I'm sure a Guard will be able to give you a full insight into their role on the train but as a Driver I'm certainly glad I work trains with a Guard as they have been a fine help in times I've needed a hand.

Thanks very much Driver9000

craigybagel

Established Member

The simplest way to describe it, and what I say whenever any of my friends or family ask is that I do everything except drive the train.

Thought it might be something like that alright, cheers for that.

Senior Conductors at London Midland and the 170 side of Cross Country as well as EMT (Train Managers for the 220s and HSTs). Presumably it's an old Central Trains thing....

Andrew32

Hi, I have an interview coming up very soon and was wondering if anybody could tell me, if I am successful am I likely to be placed in a "talent pool" or am I likely to actually get a role? I am new to this forum but have noticed a few people talking about "talent pools".

Thanks

How did things go with the interview mate?

Last edited:

leigh1990

Hi, wondering if anybody can help me. I passed the interview for the conductor role at Manchester last Tuesday, i have been invited to the assessment on the 24th of this month, not going to lie im very nervous! i have been reading through the assessment pack they send out and i am fairly up to speed at the moment with all the tests and the questions in the pack, anybody shed any light in the assessment day on what to expect and most importantly how to pass!! lol

Andrew32

Just practice the material they send you, everything will be explained to you before each test

Go at your own pace as getting through less questions but getting them correct is better than completing loads and getting most of them wrong.

I'd Message you but I can yet

Good luck

leigh1990

Just practice the material they send you, everything will be explained to you before each test

Go at your own pace as getting through less questions but getting them correct is better than completing loads and getting most of them wrong.

I'd Message you but I can yet

Good luck

Thanks for the reply andrew really appreciate it! Just abit daunting! Say for instance the ticket selling and checking test are you given the ticket card to work from like in the practice stuff they send you? Im annoyed thought id done the hard bit by passing the interview obviously not haha! Im still practising but not feeling confident yet! Have you started now? How are you finding it? Really want this job!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think you can message me once i have posted 5 times?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Trying to PM you Andrew

Andrew32

Oh wow, they've given you plenty of notice there!

Congratulations I'm so happy for you given your initial disappointing news earlier this year regarding the role being withdrawn.

What date you start?

Status
Not open for further replies.