• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Controlled drugs and onboard train jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
I've had a phone call with my doctor this evening to discuss pain management as it's still out of hand. Had I thought it would escalate as it has, I don't think I'd have asked for the call, but hindsight is a lovely thing.

I've applied for a position with east coast trains for their Customer Service Assistant, one of the onboard positions. But, if I am put on the painkillers my doctor has suggested, it would be a controlled drug, that is more than likely to give you the whole shebang of side effects.

Would this be a problem for such a position? The drugs he has suggested are Oramorph or Oxycodone. I know the former has given me a morphine high, but haven't had the latter, but I've been told it's a similar drug with similar effects. He knows I'm a teacher, but doesn't know I've applied for this job.

Help?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Morning,

First and foremost your health is more important than any railway job no matter how much you want one, so with that in mind I do hope you get your problems sorted.

As you have already put your application in then Im guessing you didnt declare you were on any medication - as your doc has only said now that he wants you to take this stuff? So at the moment I wouldnt worry about it too much.

However, should you get selected for interview then this is where you must start being honest with them. This is not to say that it will automatically stop you from joining the railway just that being honest with your prospective employer from the outset is the best way forward - they know about these thigns and the solutions.

Which are, you can speak to your doctor about the fact that you are going to start work on the railway and if they can prescribe you any alternative medication, generally for pain relief there are a few that they can prescribe instead of the ones you mention. They may not work as effectively and you may need a higher dosage but for pain relief then they generally can find on ethat is permitted.

Please do speak to your GP now about this if you are concerned about any of the above - maybe getting it sorted now before any acceptance of interview starts may be a good idea.

But you also need to think about the job of a CSA and your obvious ailment which is causing you so much pain. It can be a varied role but would your pain prevent you from doing your job?Would it cause you issues in as much as taking lots of time off during your probation period?

An employer may look on long term pain as something that you may fight off during your probationary period but then afterwards start taking lots of time off afterwards which would then affect the business. I am not saying this to be mean but it does cross peoples minds when interviewing.

As I said, speak to yoru GP about your concerns - they know about the railway and the tolerance of prescribed medications and see what they can help you with and best of luck in your endeavour to join the railway.

redbutton

If it's a safety-sensitive role, then you'll be subject to a medical screening before an offer of employment is made. That would be the time to mention it: when you're at the medical clinic.

I wouldn't discuss it with any non-medically-qualified HR staff. However, even if it's not a safety-sensitive role, it's in your best interest to consider whether you are healthy enough to take on a new job, considering that the first few months will be filled with critical training that you would probably want a clear head for.

Oramorph (morphine) and oxycodone are very strong hospital-grade painkillers. To say that there "may" be side effects is an understatement. For one thing, it would be very unwise (if not illegal) to drive or operate heavy equipment while taking them. Your mental acuity will be impaired, making it difficult to concentrate on the job, especially during training.

I have a high tolerance for opiates such as these, and even then when I was taking hydrocodone (a weaker version of oxycodone) I could only manage to get by on "autopilot" in a job I had for years at the time. If I would have been new to the job, I would have been useless.

So it's ultimately up to you, but personally I would advise against it if this is a chronic condition likely to last for the foreseeable future.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
However, should you get selected for interview then this is where you must start being honest with them. This is not to say that it will automatically stop you from joining the railway just that being honest with your prospective employer from the outset is the best way forward - they know about these thigns and the solutions.

Honesty is very important. I can't emphasise that and endorse the comments by Clip enough. You may not be ruled out of railway jobs, but if you don't tell them when you have the chance it will be found out somewhere down the line and withdrawal of job offer or dimissal will be the result.

Please do speak to your GP now about this if you are concerned about any of the above - maybe getting it sorted now before any acceptance of interview starts may be a good idea.

More good advice there.

But you also need to think about the job of a CSA and your obvious ailment which is causing you so much pain. It can be a varied role but would your pain prevent you from doing your job?Would it cause you issues in as much as taking lots of time off during your probation period?

An employer may look on long term pain as something that you may fight off during your probationary period but then afterwards start taking lots of time off afterwards which would then affect the business. I am not saying this to be mean but it does cross peoples minds when interviewing.

As I said, speak to yoru GP about your concerns - they know about the railway and the tolerance of prescribed medications and see what they can help you with and best of luck in your endeavour to join the railway.

I think that a lot will depend on the nature of the problem that is causing the pain. If it is something that can be fixed or cured, it is likely to be less of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.