• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could the Stafford to Shrewsbury line be reopened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidious

But we run lots of train services that aren't financially profitable because they provide benefits in other ways. Why wouldn't this be the case with a reopened line !
While what you say isn't wrong, the key difference is that in those circumstances the infrastructure is already there to run unprofitable services, so the only cost is the difference between the farebox revenue and the operating costs.

However there does have to be a business case to open a new line which will cost a large amount in capital expenditure. I accept that the business case might not be entirely financial - an example of this is Okehampton/Meldon to Bere Alston which would provide a diversionary route to the coastal line at Dawlish, but where the finances don't stack up, a government would not support it. To spend hundreds of millions of pounds on opening a line which would not even cover it's operating costs would be insanity.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wasn't denying the fact that re-openings would require a large up front capital input. I was merely challenging the assumption that once built, such a route would have to "pay its way" in the traditional sense.

There are a number of routes regularly mentioned which have a lot of local business and political support. Bearing in mind that other parts of the Kingdom seem to have manage re-openings, I consider it to be an abject failure on the part of our politicians that they have not managed to take any of these schemes forward during the economic boom of the past fifteen years or so.

Perhaps we need a modern version of the "light" railway legislation which would allow reopenings which are unlikely to become main lines, but which nevertheless could fill in gaps in the regional network.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There are a number of routes regularly mentioned which have a lot of local business and political support. Bearing in mind that other parts of the Kingdom seem to have manage re-openings, I consider it to be an abject failure on the part of our politicians that they have not managed to take any of these schemes forward during the economic boom of the past fifteen years or so.

I am sure that on the matter of any route re-openings that may well have been considered over the fifteen year period stated in your quote above, the Treasury will have been in the background evaluating matters with fiscal eyes, as they are not known for being over-endowed with altruistic principles.

Many Government departments have felt the heavy hand of Treasury project revocation over the years.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I think a business case could be made to work-and I don't mean fix it. I mean choone the relevant economic and environmental variables.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think a business case could be made to work-and I don't mean fix it. I mean choose the relevant economic and environmental variables.

May I ask how many sections of this line proposal have been subject to over-building and of these, which would be seen as the hardest to justify the return to the former rail usage.

I am somewhat intrigued as to the business case that you say could be made (and the rider contained in your posting) as a mathematician noting your stated use of economic and environmental variables. I do note that both of us have shared managerial experience, albeit I am now in retirement.

What comments from Chambers of Trade and the business community along the line of the said proposal have been forthcoming so far and how would this project be viewed in the forward CP5 and CP6 periods by Network Rail,

Status
Not open for further replies.