• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could we raise all of our platforms across the railway network to enable level boarding.

Krokodil

Established Member
But, if using the stadler solution you don't have to raise the platform, as it provides level boarding at the platform height for the current standard platform height, so why spend money completely rebuilding the platform if you don't have to?
I don't think that I suggested rebuilding compliant platforms. Merely that where the horizontal gap is far greater than usual due to tilting trains (which are likely to vanish post-HS2) it may be worth closing the gap to something more typical. Presumably there is a limit to how far Stadler steps can extend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainbike46

Established Member
I don't think that I suggested rebuilding compliant platforms. Merely that where the horizontal gap is far greater than usual due to tilting trains (which are likely to vanish post-HS2) it may be worth closing the gap to something more typical. Presumably there is a limit to how far Stadler steps can extend.
I don't think you suggested rebuilding platforms, but the post you reacted to stated that the platform would have to be further away from the track if the platform was raised from 915mm to 1100mm, so I assumed you were continuing in that hypothetical

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Tilting trains don't affect the horizontal gap. They tilt within the profile of a non-tilting train, and in any case the tilt is like a rotation about a centre at about waist height, so the door steps move roughly up and down.